Should I switch from 4mm to 2mm

Started by GWRKev, March 27, 2014, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWRKev

OK, I don't expect anyone on this forum to say no  :) But let me expand....

I have an 8' x 2' space available in my spare room-cum-office. I normally model in 4mm and recently switched from '00' to 'EM'. My 4mm 'empire' consists, at the moment, of a small 'Inglenook' shunting plank with a loco and a dozen wagons. My plan had been to fill that 8' x 2' space with a small BLT in 'EM'. However, it occurs to me I could also build a respectable continuous run layout in 'N' in that space, which is something I've never had the space to do in 4mm and, to be honest, I'm getting rather bored with shunting stock from end of a board to the other.

I reckon I have sufficient funds to purchase the necessary track, plus a loco and a couple of coaches, and I already have some goods stock, so enough to get a layout up and running. But in order to fund it properly, I will need to sell off the small amount of stock that I've acquired for my 'Gairloch' layout plus, rather more radically, the 'EM' layout and probably the stock as well.

So here's the thing. I'm actively considering a switch from 4mm to 2mm, which is a quite a big decision. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has made a similar switch, and what their experience was. It might throw up some considerations which I haven't so far taken into account. Thanks for any advice folks!

Kevin

ParkeNd

No. Stick with EM.

N is about compromise and 2mm probably has compromises too.

They say that 4mm can be built in the same space as N so stick with EM and make it an end to end.

Sprintex

Let me answer that question in a sensible non-biassed way . . .

YES !!

There you go :D

Paul

jonclox

Quote from: Sprintex on March 27, 2014, 09:06:15 AM
Let me answer that question in a sensible non-biassed way . . .

YES !!

There you go :D

Paul
::)  Stop sitting on the fence and say what you mean :laugh3:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Geoff

I reckon you need a lot of space for 00 gauge and to be serious as you have done you have thought about your board size and thought hey up I can achieve more with a smaller gauge, but what you have to think of is that N gauge or 2mm is a lot more fiddlier, I like N Gauge it gives me more scope, also you need to see if there is the Loco's and rolling stock available that you want to model.

Good Luck with your decision.
Geoff

Pengi

I started out in OO and then moved to N because of space and also because I want to run modern passenger express trains that are longer than 4 coach  :)

I'm having a dabble with T, because I'd like to run even longer passenger trains and build some really high skyscrapers. T still has some way to go though and is really fiddly . . .

So N really works for me :thumbsup: There are other advantages with N such as the scenery can be much cheaper to make in terms of the raw materials and the boxes that the N gauge products come in are much easier to store too.

I do not class myself as a prototypical modeller though.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

jonclox

To be serious Ive tried T gauge and was very disappointed with the results.
I also tried Z gauge and thoughly enjoyed it but the cost is prohibitive and the track needs constant cleaning. The layouts still here and as it was a professionally made baseboard I shall put it up for sale sometime soon.
N gauge is just about right for me. The scale and products are varied and of reasonable quality.
Space here totally rules out any larger scales
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Michael Shillabeer

Hello Kevin

I built a small T Gauge layout that runs ok. Its a very simple track plan though. There are some pictures here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=680

Back to your original question. I assume that as you've already switch to EM you're happy with building track so have a look at http://www.britishfinescale.com/ for state-of-the-art N Gauge track.

Best regards
Michael

Chatty

Kevin

It depends what you want to achieve.

Kind regards

Geoff
Have you hugged your locomotive today.

stevieboy

Here's my 2p:

I love N because I can run realistic rakes in a spare room of a small 2 bed semi (15 HHA's, 27 SPA's 17 BAA's & 15 Coach Mk1 Trains etc)
I also love N because SWMBO think's they're cute and therefore has a rake of PO wagons of her own, happy wife happy life and all that (even though we're not actually married)!

I have however contemplated OO on more than one occasion in the last few months because of the annoyances generated by wobbly loco wheels, poor quartering, misaligned chassis blocks caused by the requirement for finer manufacturing tolerances in the smaller scale.  Yes OO loco's have issues too, but my own personal experience of N, in particular Steam has led me to quit while I am ahead with just 3 perfect running Steamers and concentrate on Modern Image.  I have played the purchase>return>replace>return>replace game too many times with recent loco's.

Like I said, at the top, this is MY 2p's worth, there are more than enough happy people on here, so I have also concluded that it must just be me!!  :help:

EtchedPixels

I would say yes. If you like working in EM you may find 2fs of interest as well (2mm fine scale) although you'd then not be able to do a continuous layout on 2ft wide boards.

There is also now some fine kit build code 40 track for N which is vastly better than the Peco stuff.

The other obvious differences are
- sound fitting is much more umm interesting in N than OO
- very small steam locos tend to work out better in OO, although it can be done in N
- electrofrog points are way more important than in OO
- the pre-BR RTR range is very limited
- the models are much smaller so amazingly cool things in 3D print are possible at sane prices unlike OO

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Dr Al

Quote from: GWRKev on March 27, 2014, 08:58:46 AM
So here's the thing. I'm actively considering a switch from 4mm to 2mm, which is a quite a big decision. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has made a similar switch, and what their experience was. It might throw up some considerations which I haven't so far taken into account. Thanks for any advice folks!

I wouldn't push you either way, but instead would say:

I'd say if you can afford it, get youself a N gauge starter set, or buy one of the cheaper locos (maybe a Farish Jinty or 03 shunter) and have a bit of a play with it all. See how it suits your space, ideas, eyesight  :D etc.

If you decide that it isn't for you, the secondhand market is fairly bouyant so you won't lose much selling the stuff on.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

BobB

I switched from OO to N a few years ago. Now Dapol's auto uncoupling is available, I'm glad I made the move but there are a few things that are a disadvantage :

N steam outline models seem to be troublesome, the modern outline are a lot better.
The selection theoretically available is a lot less, actual availability is a lot less and the time between announcement and release is as bad as OO.
Whilst a lot of detail is now standard on rolling stock and scenic items, it is often a bit over-scale.

With N I think an impression of a working railway is possible for most of us whilst to do that in OO does need more than 8ft x 2ft. With N you could have a roundy roundy tail chaser with a shunting set up as well. I suppose you need to think first about what layout you want.

ngauger

How about a bit o' both?  OO/009?  Ok, it's not N Gauge, but adds scope for tighter curves etc with the 009, whilst the 00 could feature alongside, like on the Talyllyn R/W. 

Andy
LNWR & Midland Railway Company

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations