Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 19, 2019, 10:14:09 AM
Yep. They won't let you in with an infection but are quite happy to let you out with one :unimpressed:

Never a truer word spoken. I'm still on crutches, eight months after four draining operations and a skin graft!  >:(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

TrevL

After having few unexplained bladder infections over the past couple of years, the doc finally ordered a series of blood tests.  All came back negative except one, and I had to get retested. This one came back and confirmed I'm borderline type 2 diabetic.  Now here's the gripper.  I'm 67, retired, walk my dog a couple of miles twice a day, shoot archery twice a week, so pretty fit for my age.  BMI of 23, cholestrol of 5, haven't taken suger in ten years, size 32" trousers are slack on me, so pretty atypical for the condition.  I eat a balanced diet with plenty of veggies and fruit.  I have none of the usual symptoms (except bladder infections seemingly????).   So now I'm waiting to see a dietician.  Doc said I need to cut down on carbs, so bread, pasta, potates are on the no-go list. So not a happy bunny.

On the bright side, I get to put my blood/sugar pinprick sharps in my controversially acquired sharps bin.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

No bread, pasta or potatoes  :goggleeyes:. As you say, there is a bright side  :). Hope things improve for you and having had one a couple of months ago, (related to the prostate), I know bladder infections are not fun!  :no:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daveg

Sympathies Trev.

I'm in a similar state where all the nice things, according to the Doc, are going to be off limits for a while.

Mind you, just before I descend into that dietary dreariness, we're off for a few days where we eat too much, have a few beers and get all the chores done.

October to just before Christmas will be hell but at least I'll have the railway to keep my mind of roast spuds, Yorkshire puds and chocolate cake- I hope!  :(

Bon chance!

Dave G

The Q

Quote from: TrevL on September 26, 2019, 11:35:58 AM
After having few unexplained bladder infections over the past couple of years, the doc finally ordered a series of blood tests.  All came back negative except one, and I had to get retested. This one came back and confirmed I'm borderline type 2 diabetic.  Now here's the gripper.  I'm 67, retired, walk my dog a couple of miles twice a day, shoot archery twice a week, so pretty fit for my age.  BMI of 23, cholestrol of 5, haven't taken suger in ten years, size 32" trousers are slack on me, so pretty atypical for the condition.  I eat a balanced diet with plenty of veggies and fruit.  I have none of the usual symptoms (except bladder infections seemingly????).   So now I'm waiting to see a dietician.  Doc said I need to cut down on carbs, so bread, pasta, potates are on the no-go list. So not a happy bunny.

On the bright side, I get to put my blood/sugar pinprick sharps in my controversially acquired sharps bin.
Chances are you'll be put on metaformin pills like me, not injections.  People in my family get to 50 and then become diabetic,  my dad did, my grandmother did,  one of my sisters is on warning..  This claim of it being because you're overweight /eatingbthe wrong this I don't think is entirely true..

guest311

and keep clear of fruit  :'(

SWMBO's sugar went up recently, nurse went through what she had been eating differently since last review ..
"grapes, apples, bananas, cherries, in other words much more fruit" :thumbsup:

apparently  :thumbsdown: as fruit is high in sugars  :confused2:

just can't keep up with the latest 'fads' of healthy eating, I'll stick to roast beef, roast tatties etc and sod them all  :dighole:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: class37025 on September 26, 2019, 04:14:13 PM
and keep clear of fruit  :'(

SWMBO's sugar went up recently, nurse went through what she had been eating differently since last review ..
"grapes, apples, bananas, cherries, in other words much more fruit" :thumbsup:

apparently  :thumbsdown: as fruit is high in sugars  :confused2:

just can't keep up with the latest 'fads' of healthy eating, I'll stick to roast beef, roast tatties etc and sod them all  :dighole:

Very true, but the ripeness of the fruit has a profound effect and you can eat fruit before it gets sweet.

Malc

Quote from: TrevL on September 26, 2019, 11:35:58 AM

I've been type 2 diabetic for the past 20 years. I eat a fairly sensible diet - not too much of anything. Still have half a sandwich for lunch and cereal for breakfast the odd pint when @daveg drags me kicking and screaming out to lunch. The secret is, as I said, is not too much of those things and not too often.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daveg

Yeah @Malc , I have to wear ear defenders cos you make so much noise!  :P

Happy Days!

Dave G

The Q

My sailing friend has finally made a home run, and escaped from hospital and got home.
He's now got six weeks at home using a walker to start with then return for a checkup..

dannyboy

A short while ago, I put in an offer for an item on eBay, as it was a 'Buy It Now' or 'Make Offer' item. I appreciate that the amount involved was only a few pounds, but I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained". I have just received a reply declining my offer, stating that the idea of 'Buy It Now' was for the purchase of multiple items, which would allow for a reduction in the combined postage. The item was listed with free economy postage! Err, how can you discount something that does not cost owt?  :confused1:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

Quote from: dannyboy on September 28, 2019, 10:34:25 PM
A short while ago, I put in an offer for an item on eBay, as it was a 'Buy It Now' or 'Make Offer' item. I appreciate that the amount involved was only a few pounds, but I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained". I have just received a reply declining my offer, stating that the idea of 'Buy It Now' was for the purchase of multiple items, which would allow for a reduction in the combined postage. The item was listed with free economy postage! Err, how can you discount something that does not cost owt?  :confused1:

Please note that many sellers on FleaBay have the business acumen of a flat cap.

I've come across equally cuckoo logic from time to time.

:laugh3:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daveg

Really sad today as we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Blue.

Pal, worrier of pheasants and other wildlife. Chief Railway Room Assistant and general all round lovely boy. Laid to rest where the flowers will grow.

The house already seems so different.

Dave G   :(

Bealman

Sorry, Dave.

Chin up, mate.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Delboy

So sorry to hear about your loss, Dave. Lots of great memories no doubt?
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations