The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Sorry, Chaps, but I was referring to the weather forecasters regarding Overlord, otherwise my post would have been political and I'd have had to punish myself severely.

Ted

My first 'bad luck' with ebay.

I won a CL47 in red postal sector livery.

The listing said "Please be aware this has had new gears so no chance of the old ones fracturing. Excellent runner will be missed."

Not only is there damage to the cantrail (not shown in the photos), but it runs like :censored:. Jerky, lights flickering and with an audible clicking in one-direction... as per split-gear syndrome!

How could the seller get it so wrong.

I really wanted a Parcels Red & Grey liveried 47. Bah! :(
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Ted on September 04, 2020, 04:02:37 PM

The listing said "Please be aware this has had new gears so no chance of the old ones fracturing. Excellent runner will be missed."

Not only is there damage to the cantrail (not shown in the photos), but it runs like :censored:. Jerky, lights flickering and with an audible clicking in one-direction... as per split-gear syndrome!

Oh eck, I actually seriously thought about that one.

It's got to go back, that is a clear case of not as described. I would even suggest this was the donor loco in a chassis swop and he sent you the wrong one!

Let us know how it gets resolved.

Skyline2uk

Ted

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 04, 2020, 04:06:58 PM
Quote from: Ted on September 04, 2020, 04:02:37 PM

Oh eck, I actually seriously thought about that one.

It's got to go back, that is a clear case of not as described. I would even suggest this was the donor loco in a chassis swop and he sent you the wrong one!

Let us know how it gets resolved.

Skyline2uk

It's also quite oily as well, that raises my suspicions.

The seller has already offered a refund, I had suggested I was going to keep it and fix the cantrail damage. But I'm not footing the bill for gears etc too.

Can't win 'em all!
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Skyline2uk

@Ted , make sure you get refunded for postage each way as well.

Let's be kind and say somebody truly attempted to fix it and made a bit of a hash.

Skyline2uk

lil chris

I am having trouble with my internet, I keep losing the signal. I have rung Virgin Media several times, you never get to speak to someone unless your lucky. Every time they run tests on the line and found no fault anyway after hanging on for ages I got to speak to somebody on Thursday.He eventually told me it must be the hub/router, So he said they would send a new one on Monday ? Why so long, anyway it turned up yesterday. They just assumed I would fit it myself which I did but guess what it has made no difference, the connection dropped again last night about 7.45pm. I rung again they did a test and found a intermittent fault but the call centre was closed because of covid, that is the latest excuse. Strangely the internet has been fine since but Virgin Media support lacks a lot.

Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

lil chris

Well my internet seems to be behaving, sometimes I wonder if they just turn you off and see if you notice.
The trouble is I have swapped my tv's around and since I put my LG back it siad re tune so I did and have lost a few channels. The thing is everytime I tried to retune it came up with a different number of channels but never the one I used to watch(ch64 free sport). I have put a new tv in the railway room and that tv cant get the same channnel and again different results everytime you re tune. After spending the whole afternoon trying I have give up it makes my blood boil. I have one tv in our bedroom that can get channel 64, that is not being re tuned what  ever it says.

I have Virgin Media just found it on the front room tv on VM has 553, swmbo will be happy now.
Lil Chris
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.

stevewalker

You'll be using the Winter Hill transmitter, the same as around here (Urmston). We haven't had a problem, mainly because we use Freesat and not Digital Terrestial TV, but we can get DTV and things seem ok on out wideband aerial. However, my parents are nearby and they have had problems too. Apparently work has been going on at Winter Hill, moving channels (to fee up spectrum for 5G). It is also suggested that a band A aerial is needed now (was C/D), although that will probably not pick any channels on the temporary MUX 7, while Wideband aerials will normally be fine.

lil chris

Thanks for that Steve, I had forgot my LG has freesat and I connected my old Sky dish to it I might try it tomorrow. Yes they have done work on the transmitter making room for the phone network but that was finished in August I think. I checked yesterday and there was no work going on at Winter hill. The strange thing is it was working on Wednesday on the Lg tv but now evertime I try a retune I get variable results, from Winterhill it should be 138 channels, It went down to 124 and even lower. I have a LG tv upstairs in the bedroom connected to the same ariel which has the channel, another tv in my loft room with its own ariel cant get it. Thanks anyway.
Lil Chris

guest311

Quote from: lil chris on September 19, 2020, 01:23:50 PM
I am having trouble with my internet, I keep losing the signal. I have rung Virgin Media several times, you never get to speak to someone unless your lucky. Every time they run tests on the line and found no fault anyway after hanging on for ages I got to speak to somebody on Thursday.He eventually told me it must be the hub/router, So he said they would send a new one on Monday ? Why so long, anyway it turned up yesterday. They just assumed I would fit it myself which I did but guess what it has made no difference, the connection dropped again last night about 7.45pm. I rung again they did a test and found a intermittent fault but the call centre was closed because of covid, that is the latest excuse. Strangely the internet has been fine since but Virgin Media support lacks a lot.

sounds like the problem I had some time ago.
in the end I got them to send out an engineer, and he said my signal was TOO STRONG  :hmmm: and changed a thing that looked like a sim card in the hub, and since then [tempting fate] it's been ok.

thebrighton

As more and more people use mail order there is a greater demand for delivery drivers and as a result there are more and more inexperienced van drivers tearing round trying to deliver parcels in unrealistic time scales.
We live in a small cul-de-sac where numerous drivers whizz down only to discover that turning their large van is no walk in the park so the more experienced reverse out whereas the newbies think "I could turn my car here so how hard can it be in my massive van?".
Anyhow my car has now been hit twice in 3 weeks! First time by white van man who just drove off but luckily (?) today by an APC driver who actually stopped and knocked on my door to apologize and his depot contacted. They don't go through their insurers so we'll wait and see what happens. I'll give them a couple of days max.

stevewalker

Not good and I have certainly heard of cars being hit by turning vehicles, while parked in their drives. On the other hand, I am amazed how many end of cul-de-sac turning areas are always blocked by residents parking in them.

thebrighton

Quote from: stevewalker on September 22, 2020, 10:55:53 AM
I am amazed how many end of cul-de-sac turning areas are always blocked by residents parking in them.
Oh, I agree and having been a Royal Mail delivery driver for years often cursed at residents that parked in turning areas. What I didn't do was just have a go at turning anyway, I reversed out. As it is no one was parked in the turning area, it was just a case of inexperience, not knowing the size of his van or understanding that as you reverse your front corner swings out!

Newportnobby

I live in what used to be a quiet cul-de-sac but nowadays it seems all and sundry use it to turn round easily rather than do a 3 point turn, which I reckon most of them haven't heard of let alone do ::)
A month or so ago we even had a bloody artic in the close!
Anyone delivering to an address in the close then fine, but I'm more worried about my cat being mown down than I am my car being hit on the drive :worried:
Kids can't play out as even the residents don't obey the 20mph limit imposed, I believe, nationwide in such streets.
We're also being invaded by cars with exhausts that would instantly fail a noise level test. You know, the ones with stereo systems worth 10-20 times the value of the car it's fitted in.
I guess I'm getting just old and intolerant.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 22, 2020, 11:23:10 AM
I live in what used to be a quiet cul-de-sac but nowadays it seems all and sundry use it to turn round easily rather than do a 3 point turn, which I reckon most of them haven't heard of let alone do ::)
A month or so ago we even had a bloody artic in the close!
Anyone delivering to an address in the close then fine, but I'm more worried about my cat being mown down than I am my car being hit on the drive :worried:
Kids can't play out as even the residents don't obey the 20mph limit imposed, I believe, nationwide in such streets.
We're also being invaded by cars with exhausts that would instantly fail a noise level test. You know, the ones with stereo systems worth 10-20 times the value of the car it's fitted in.
I guess I'm getting just old and intolerant.

Not a question of you getting old Mick.

I am also annoyed and fear for my cats (+Gremlin / Mini Skyline) because of the way people drive down our close. We are at the end and have a driveway in front of our garage that I always reverse on to.

The amount of times I have arrived at the end of the road to find some dithering fool stopped at an odd angle preventing me from accessing my drive. He / she only intend on turning round and no concept of other vehicles.

Worse still is when somebody follows me down and is baffled / looks annoyed when I position my car to back into my drive rather than get out of their way.

Normally this is people who actually live further up the road and can't be bothered to park facing the right way, but sometimes visitors / delivery vans.

Humbug!

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations