Cost of N Gauge Models in Context

Started by Rabbitaway, May 21, 2020, 07:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Ye Gods, Craig! :o

Although.....................

Quote from: exmouthcraig on June 01, 2020, 04:11:31 PM
each one goes through £100 shoes every month, unless they throw one competing

£100 a month for shoes is nothing compared to my ex and she certainly threw them (at me) if I complained!

emjaybee

@exmouthcraig I feel your pain.

We bred four foals and someone said "wow, free horses".

Yeah right. One foal ran up a £4000 vets bill in its first week! The mare ran milk before the foal was born, so all the colostrum was lost, meaning the foal got no antibodies, meaning daily plasma transfers centifuged from the mares blood. I kid you not, I reckon I could raise Unicorns cheaper. That same foal cost £10k in vets bills in its first year.

We had to take one of our horses into the vets for a leg op a few years later and the vet nurse went to put our Storm into a ratty stable rather than the spanking new ones the other side, at which point my blood pressure went up, my fuse blew and I let rip on just how many 10's of thousands my wife had put their way over the previous few years.

We had a lovely airy, roomy, posh stable sharpish.

Then there's the insurance. Goes up most years, but they exclude any part of the animal that's had a claim. My wife no longer insures the two that are left as they've so many exclusions we can't fathom out which bits are actually covered.

And the shoeing, and the annual jabs, bedding, supplements, feed, hay, fencing, field shelter repairs.

But...

...and it's a good but {snigger}, I wouldn't want her NOT to have them.

Because it doesn't matter how much I spend on my shooting and modelling, I'll always have spent less than her.

So, y'know, it has its compensations.

;)
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

exmouthcraig

Mines adamant that these are the last 2 she has, I hope shes joking because theres at least 4hrs a day that I'd have to see her, I'd never get a layout built  :D

Weve never spent that much time together!!!! Mind you wed be millionaires within 10years so.........

emjaybee

Quote from: exmouthcraig on June 01, 2020, 05:09:08 PM
Mines adamant that these are the last 2 she has, I hope shes joking because theres at least 4hrs a day that I'd have to see her, I'd never get a layout built  :D

Weve never spent that much time together!!!! Mind you wed be millionaires within 10years so.........

Oh man, don't fall for that one. I've heard 'em all. "I'm going to get rid of them", "I don't know why I waste my time", etc., etc., etc.

I will say this though, I don't pay a penny towards them, she covers it all herself. Fair play.
Brookline build thread:

:goggleeyes: and there was me thinking my flying hobby was expensive...........

emjaybee

Quote from: 37214 on June 01, 2020, 08:46:19 PM

Flying, flying! That's pocket money stuff that is.

;D

What's sort of flying?
Brookline build thread:

Quote from: emjaybee on June 01, 2020, 09:05:51 PM

;D

What's sort of flying

Compared to horses, yes. Mostly Touring Motor Glider, Diamond HK36 Super Dimona but prior to Clovis, had moved onto Piper PA28 Warrior.

Before power flying it was all gliders. Plan to buy shares in both SEP and a glider once I retire.

emjaybee

Quote from: 37214 on June 01, 2020, 09:17:58 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on June 01, 2020, 09:05:51 PM

;D

What's sort of flying

Compared to horses, yes. Mostly Touring Motor Glider, Diamond HK36 Super Dimona but prior to Clovis, had moved onto Piper PA28 Warrior.

Before power flying it was all gliders. Plan to buy shares in both SEP and a glider once I retire.

Nice! Have you got a pilots licence?
Brookline build thread:

2 - LAPL(S) - Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (Sailplanes) for gliding and motorglider and LAPL(A) - Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) for Single Engine Piston.

I tried to post pictures of the aircraft I fly but I keep getting an error saying only PDF format allowed. If you google G-OSFB, that's the Dimona motorglider and G-BTRY is the PA28 I was flying pre-Covid.

emjaybee

Quote from: 37214 on June 01, 2020, 09:26:07 PM
2 - LAPL(S) - Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (Sailplanes) for gliding and motorglider and LAPL(A) - Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) for Single Engine Piston.

I tried to post pictures of the aircraft I fly but I keep getting an error saying only PDF format allowed. If you google G-OSFB, that's the Dimona motorglider and G-BTRY is the PA28 I was flying pre-Covid.

Good stuff! Very cool.

Brookline build thread:

acko22

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 01, 2020, 04:23:41 PM
£100 a month for shoes is nothing compared to my ex and she certainly threw them (at me) if I complained!

Well some would say she either missed or didn't throw hard enough!  ;)
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

crewearpley40

Quote from: acko22 on June 01, 2020, 11:36:40 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on June 01, 2020, 04:23:41 PM

Well some would say she either missed or didn't throw hard enough!  ;)
mick must have been able to jump out the way a lot quicker..... good job as we love his input  enthusiasm and knowledge here . Seriously the cost of my n gauge was due to space limitations not costs and funded by selling my 00 items after my late Grandfather passed away and late Gran had to move to a care home. So a smaller flat. I had an interest in N so sold my 00 and if like downsized

acko22

Hi all,

So just had a read through from what @Rabbitaway  originally posted, and avoiding @Newportnobby and his shoe dodging / catching antics  ;)

My take on his original post is about what can be achieved with costs,
So you have 3 levels:

1 - Function over form - 16.99 RC helicopter or a Tomix motorized chassis - both do the function but beyond don't have a physical appearance of a real design.

2 - Function with some form - Mid range RC helicopters that look like an apache helicopter but there are inaccuracies - Pick a model but for me some of the Dapol 86s , there are inaccuracies but for the price I won't complain at all in fact give me some more! (well until work bin them all then I don't care  :-[ )

3 - Function and form - Well in this range for RC helicopters it gets real silly money if you want it to look perfect as well as function as close as feasible as the real thing - For N gauge truth be told this is the market for new models, not silly money but we want the function and from so it has to work right and look like the real thing or as close as can be achieved.

So I do think there is a market for all in N gauge just as in RC helicopters but its ho far do you want to go? I do know about top end RC helicopters before I came back to n gauge I was very very close to buying a 1:20 fully working model of an Apache you really couldn't tell it apart for the real thing, but the price well makes N gauge look really cheap, I was about to fly back to the UK after 9 months in sandier climates and it would have cost me half my tour wages!
Safe to say the sanity returned when balanced my choices not to buy and return home, or buy it and never return home as the domestic boss who as @red_death can vouch is very Scottish and even more batty would have been more of a danger to my life than the folks I had been having a "loud chat" with for 9 months!

Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

jpendle

Quote from: acko22 on June 02, 2020, 03:19:09 AM
and avoiding @Newportnobby and his shoe dogging antics  ;)
Well it takes all sorts I suppose  :goggleeyes:

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

acko22

Quote from: jpendle on June 02, 2020, 04:04:02 AM
Quote from: acko22 on June 02, 2020, 03:19:09 AM
and avoiding @Newportnobby and his shoe dogging antics  ;)
Well it takes all sorts I suppose  :goggleeyes:

John P

Shhhhh quick correction and it never happened, or i just blame it on no sleep!  :smackedface:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations