Thoughts on starting off with 'very' second hand trains

Started by Thebaz, September 12, 2019, 10:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebaz

Whilst considering the rolling stock I would like on my yet-to-be-built layout I have come across what look to be 'bargains' on ebay; that is stock being sold as spares or as in good cosmetic condition but not really working. For example: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Farish-371-678-N-4-Car-Class-220-Voyager-X-Country-Spares-Repair/264456111474?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D3e6bf1773fd54b21a9e959207b7cd23d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D392414692872%26itm%3D264456111474%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A923e6669-d59f-11e9-a621-74dbd180e20c%7Cparentrq%3A2741e96e16d0aadb3f2751deffb7abfd%7Ciid%3A1. Are these actually fixable? As in, could it be sent/taken to an expert and made good-as-new? Or is the owner getting rid because they know it's a gonner? If it is possible to fix an issue like this what are the likely charges? In short: is it worth the cheap initial cost or is it buying a whole heap of trouble? Bear in mind I'm a beginner with no electronic knowledge!

Bealman

I definitely wouldn't take that route if I was just starting out. I'd want to see something running straight away!

Plus, from a practical viewpoint alone, you need a working locomotive to test trackwork, electrics, gradients etc.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Quote from: Thebaz on September 12, 2019, 10:04:45 PM
is it worth the cheap initial cost or is it buying a whole heap of trouble? Bear in mind I'm a beginner with no electronic knowledge!

If you were a member of a club and could take said bargain to a club meet and have the club guru help and guide you, I wouldn't hesitate in saying go for it.

If you're not a member of a club, maybe joining one is your best route forward. :beers:

Thebaz

Yes, this is true. I have already bought some trains which *should* work - at least that's how they've been sold to me (not tested yet as I don't have any track), but I was thinking more for the future.

Thebaz

Quote from: RailGooner on September 12, 2019, 10:19:50 PM
Quote from: Thebaz on September 12, 2019, 10:04:45 PM
is it worth the cheap initial cost or is it buying a whole heap of trouble? Bear in mind I'm a beginner with no electronic knowledge!

If you were a member of a club and could take said bargain to a club meet and have the club guru help and guide you, I'd wouldn't hesitate in saying go for it.

If you're not a member of a club, maybe joining one is your best route forward. :beers:

Indeed, there is a club very local to me and I intend to go along to the next meet!  :beers:

crewearpley40

what era are you modelling ?

steam / diesel ?
modern ?
60s etc ?

i would agree with the above comments

Thebaz

Quote from: crewearpley40 on September 12, 2019, 10:30:35 PM
what era are you modelling ?

steam / diesel ?
modern ?
60s etc ?

Hi, the plan was originally British SR modern day DMU/EMU, but... I'm actually going to try to create a layout I can use with 'sets' of stock from multiple eras. From 70's-80's BR blue-blue-grey to modern day. I did have a fanciful notion I could create lift-out past and present scenes so I could change era whenever I fancied. I fear my dreams may be running away with me.  :smiley-laughing:

njee20

Generally speaking models aren't that complex, so they tend to be fixable, if you can get parts, and that's a fairly big if.

That Voyager appears to have a split gear, which is trivial. The problem you have with buying stuff like that is their may be a whole host of other (expensive) problems, but because it's 'spares and repair' it's hard to argue.

I bought a Voyager speculatively thinking it may be the same problem, turned out the motor had actually failed, part of the fairing was broken and the wires to the lights had been cut. Win some/lose some!

crewearpley40

Good luck. Great era. I model that era. Plenty of helpful people with electrics track knowledge. Im more into stock and operations. Please do ask questions

Thebaz

Quote from: njee20 on September 12, 2019, 11:06:28 PM
Generally speaking models aren't that complex, so they tend to be fixable, if you can get parts, and that's a fairly big if.

That Voyager appears to have a split gear, which is trivial. The problem you have with buying stuff like that is their may be a whole host of other (expensive) problems, but because it's 'spares and repair' it's hard to argue.

I bought a Voyager speculatively thinking it may be the same problem, turned out the motor had actually failed, part of the fairing was broken and the wires to the lights had been cut. Win some/lose some!

Presumably you can just buy a new motor? Or is it not that simple?

railsquid

Quote from: Thebaz on September 12, 2019, 11:17:04 PM
Quote from: njee20 on September 12, 2019, 11:06:28 PM

Presumably you can just buy a new motor? Or is it not that simple?

I'm not sure about that particular model, but it seems it's not that simple, alas.

I suggest looking at Hattons for second-hand stock, it might not look as cheap as an ebay auction-in-progress (bear in mind many bids go in right before the end) but I've found their descriptions reliable (i.e. if they say it works, it works) and have acquired a lot of stuff from them over the years.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations