Trying to model my village station

Started by brookleigh, November 13, 2019, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brookleigh

This is the station/area that I,m trying to model.
It was where I spent most of my spare time in my formative years (1950s, early 1960s)

The photo was taken ( i,m guessing, late 1940s as the canal had not quite dried up)

Roger

Paddy

What a lovely photo Roger and very atmospheric.  It would make a wonderful layout.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

brookleigh

Quote from: Paddy on November 13, 2019, 03:55:03 PM
What a lovely photo Roger and very atmospheric.  It would make a wonderful layout.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Paddy

The crane in the yard was used mostly for lifting the extremely large wooden crates containing aircraft parts for RAF Aston Down which was about 3/4 of a mile up a steep hill over the bridge on the left.
The crates would be loaded by the crane onto a Queen Mary transporter.
If we were in luck, we would be given a ride up the hill in the Queen Mary.

Roger

crewearpley40

Roger. If thats a beautiful scene set in gwr territory gloucestershire, stroud , minchinhampton we cannot wait to see more

Train Waiting

That's a super picture and it looks a lovely prototype for a model.

It looks to me like a coloured postcard.  I think the picture is probably pre-Great War although the postcards were likely on sale for years.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

brookleigh

Quote from: Train Waiting on November 13, 2019, 04:32:16 PM
That's a super picture and it looks a lovely prototype for a model.

It looks to me like a coloured postcard.  I think the picture is probably pre-Great War although the postcards were likely on sale for years.

Best wishes.

John

John...
You may well be correct, I was going by the state of the canal and my childhood memories circa 1952 onwards

Roger

port perran

That does indeed appear to be a super scene to model.
A nice challenge.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Stuarted

It does look like a splendid prototype and should be lovely to model. You were blessed to have seen it as a boy. Stuart

Rabbitaway

Hi

Agreed that this will be an excellent scene, as the topography is hilly and interesting structures such as the bridge and canal. Are your plans for open frame baseboards to make the best of the change in levels.

Should be some nice opportunity for scratch building unique structures

Look forward to the build, I assume you will be posting progress on the "layout construction" section of the forum

:thumbsup:   

brookleigh

Quote from: Rabbitaway on November 13, 2019, 10:02:02 PM
Hi

Agreed that this will be an excellent scene, as the topography is hilly and interesting structures such as the bridge and canal. Are your plans for open frame baseboards to make the best of the change in levels.

Should be some nice opportunity for scratch building unique structures

Look forward to the build, I assume you will be posting progress on the "layout construction" section of the forum

:thumbsup:   

Well as a complete Newbie to all this I have no idea yet what an open frame baseboard is !!
The big issue that I am anticipating will be making a realistic backdrop that looks like the village....
I lack any artistic skills so painting is out...

Roger

Bealman

Basically open frame baseboards are exactly that - flat board (usually ply) is only under the track. This allows scenery to go below track level (the canal, in your case) or above it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

brookleigh

Quote from: Bealman on November 13, 2019, 11:20:52 PM
Basically open frame baseboards are exactly that - flat board (usually ply) is only under the track. This allows scenery to go below track level (the canal, in your case) or above it.
Thank you...understood.
Basically its just a flat baseboard...resembles a slightly oversize flat door.

Roger

Rabbitaway

Hi Roger

A photo of open frame baseboard construction. All depends on your confidence in joinery if this is something you would like to try. I did a mix of flat baseboards and open frame for below track level on my layout and all turned out fine.

brookleigh

Quote from: Rabbitaway on November 13, 2019, 11:44:30 PM
Hi Roger

A photo of open frame baseboard construction. All depends on your confidence in joinery if this is something you would like to try. I did a mix of flat baseboards and open frame for below track level on my layout and all turned out fine.

Thanks for the pic...
Looks beyond my woodworking capabilities.....I was brought up and trained with a soldering iron and a testmeter!!
In a nutshell...The baseboard is built and designed as light as possible and to fit over the bed in the guestroom....when our grandchildren visit it has to be picked up and stacked against the wall so it has to be light...

Roger

Rabbitaway

Roger

Looks like you have the constraints of having to manage a semi portable layout, have you considered hinging the layout on the wall, likely the moving back and forward and placing against the wall will cause damage to the fine detail.

With regard to the back scene, if you have space on the board you could build part of the village then have a small drop behind the buildings and just go with a pale blue sky back board, scenic back boards are very hard to get right if they have close in buildings printed or painted

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations