The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

During WW2 the island my sailing club is on became a searchlight position to protect a nearby chain home radar station.
What this means is the supply is a huge 3 phase heavy duty supply with their termination actually on the island.

Recently the cable failed underwater, , the electricity company supplied a generator the size of a full container for a temporary supply,.

They then replaced the cable under the water.. it did well lasting 80 years under there.

Oh what do we normally use on the island? A small tea urn and we serve bacon butties on a Sunday morning using at most 2 rings on the cooker...

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 13, 2022, 08:03:24 PM
Quote from: class37025 on January 13, 2022, 04:37:18 PM
chucked the charger on  for five minutes, then triad again

I see the Chinese get the blame, again :D

after watching the news last night, I did wonder if a certain Chinese lawyer might want to influence my political views by donating a new battery  >:D

stevewalker

We bought our eldest son a £1300 laptop before he went away to university in September. We bought a higher spec model than he needs, to avoid him having to take a desktop as well for gaming, allowing him to pass his desktop machine on to his brother. He's been having some overheating problems, which Dell confirmed were due to a known fault and arranged to collect, replace the motherboard and return it. Due to their available pick-up days, he had to cut-short his Christmas holiday and rush back to halls. He struggled to do a marked, remote, course presentation on my very old, painfully slow laptop, has been unable to play online games or chat with many of his friends, most of the other students are not back yet and for the last 3 days has been unable to go out in case they returned it.

Today it came back. He promptly went to open it up to fit the second SSD, containing his coursework, only to find that he couldn't - during the repair they have stripped two screw heads. They wanted him to send it back (another 7 to 12 working days!), but he refused. They are now going to send someone to him to try and fix it (it will need a new back cover, as they are captive screws), but they can't tell him when and he'll have to sit in for another three to five days.

If they hadn't needed to pick it up from his registered address, he could still have been here at home until the end of the month!

Trainfish

Quote from: class37025 on January 13, 2022, 05:14:37 PM
trouble is it's a diesel, so takes more out of the battery to get the compression to fire. petrols I always kept sprayed with duck oil over the electrics.

did go out once when I was on the AA to a lady whose car wouldn't start in the damp, she'd been sold easistart by Halfords and told to spray it over the electrics before trying again.

needless to say I took it off her very quickly, ether and sparks are not a good mix  :hmmm:

A former AA man who can't get his own car started, whatever next?  :smiley-laughing:

Are you sure the AA you worked for was the Automobile Association and not Alcoholics Anonymous?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

Quote from: Trainfish on January 15, 2022, 01:50:16 AM
Quote from: class37025 on January 13, 2022, 05:14:37 PM
trouble is it's a diesel, so takes more out of the battery to get the compression to fire. petrols I always kept sprayed with duck oil over the electrics.

did go out once when I was on the AA to a lady whose car wouldn't start in the damp, she'd been sold easistart by Halfords and told to spray it over the electrics before trying again.

needless to say I took it off her very quickly, ether and sparks are not a good mix  :hmmm:

A former AA man who can't get his own car started, whatever next?  :smiley-laughing:

Are you sure the AA you worked for was the Automobile Association and not Alcoholics Anonymous?

John @Trainfish,
in my own defence,
1. I always reverse onto the front parking area, I learnt decades ago that was best as you don't want to reverse onto a road, and also a bit embarrassing when you rush out of the guardroom, leap into the landie, hit the blues, and have to then wait for someone to let you reverse out of the parking slot.
much easier to hit the blues and just drive out.

2. the battery is in the boot of the Volvo, and the daughter's heap project scoobie sits next to it, so I couldn't get another vehicle there to use jump leads

3. having once been out to a member who'd jumped his car with leads, then straight away took them off to head to work, and knackered the diode pack in his alternator, I am a firm believer in at least 10 minutes charging of the battery with jump leads before any attempt at starting the engine on a car with a flat battery. so I would still have missed my MOT slot at the garage.

unfortunately the garage didn't have another MOT sat there that could have taken my slot, and then I could have taken the next one.

sod's law.

I rest my defence, m'lud. :smiley-laughing:

Trainfish

I think the jury is still out on that one and I would expect a Volvo to handle a little drop in temperature.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

I've had the car for over ten years, and not replaced the battery.
I think it is probably a combination of less use / shorter journeys as well as age of the battery, like us they get less capable with age, and a hard freeze overnight.
some cars with batteries in the boot do have connectors under the bonnet where you can attach jump leads, but this doesn't, or at least I've not found any  :-[

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on January 13, 2022, 04:51:32 PM
I've noted unusual extreme interior condensation the last few mornings in my car, as well as under the bonnet yesterday as I checked washer fluid levels. Even had condensation on outside of my dash dials, which I've never noted before.

@daffy Strangely I started experiencing the same thing last winter to the extent I asked my garage if the windscreen seal had gone on my 6 year old Siesta. They checked it and said it was OK but it has happened once this winter so far. :uneasy:

guest311

I wonder if it's damp air coming in through open vents ?

Trainfish

It often is. Can be side windows too. It's worth opening them and closing them again to make sure they are fully closed.
John

<*))))><

daffy

I think I've found the cure as it has not happened again following some online research. It seems the simple expedient of changing the air in the car at the end of a journey by opening the window for the last half mile is effective, or, if it's just parked all day on my drive and the sun is on it for a fair while, I simply need to open the doors for a moment an hour or so before sunset to 'air' it and minimise the temperature differential of outside/inside.

Two comments online also of note: one (an American site) suggests that using full windscreen fan mode to clear it may simply recirculate the moisture in some cars, clearing it as you drive but leaving a high moisture content in the car which, when night-time cold returns, condenses again on the interior glass; the other comment refers to something I noted many years ago, that using Air-con can do the same, as some of the moisture removed and trapped in the Air-con reservoir returns to the car interior and condenses when it's parked. This seems to be particularly likely where short journeys between cold start and parking for the night are involved.

A few folks online mentioned leaving a window very slightly open overnight can also work, but as I want my car to still be there in the morning at not used for some oiks joy-riding pleasure, I shall not be doing that. :no:

So far so good anyway with just airing the car as I have done for the last few days proving very effective with zero condensation! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

woodbury22uk

This Is written more out of despair than anger. When my wife died suddenly back in November, I needed to change bank details for various direct debits which were paid from her bank account. For almost everybody the changes were made simply and quickly. For some reason my local Redditch Borough Council has made a meal of changing the Council Tax details. In my first call to them on 16 November 2021 I notified them of the need to change the account name to just me, adjust the amount to be paid as I was now a single occupant, and use my bank account details to collect the remaining amount. I was given a change reference number and assured everything would be actioned. Six phone calls and 4 letters later, I still owe them for 3 months Council Tax. In what I hope has been the final call today, they have agreed to correct the errors that have progressively crept into the account name with each letter, set-up the new direct debit today, and collect the remaining amount owed over the next two months. We will see.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

A tragedy like you have suffered is bad enough, Mike, but that is a very sorry tale and the Council should be ashamed of themselves. I bet they'd be shocked if you invoiced them for the telephone calls and the postage stamps.

woodbury22uk

@Newportnobby  There is a bit of a timewarp between my home and council offices 5 miles away. Their most recent letter was dated 23 December 2021 and arrived on 15 January 2022. My only comfort is that the money remains in my bank until they get things right. I have put a reminder in the diary for a follow up for a month's time by which time the letter they are sending today may have arrived. Postal services are working normally here, but the council transports it mail to a bulk mailing centre half way across the county to take advantage of some discounted rates. I registered for digital communications two years back but to date only one message has arrived digitally, and that was the confirmation of the registration! My digital message to them is still sitting unopened in their inbox!
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Malc

I had problems with Severn Trent water sending bills to the previous occupant, even though I told them we had moved in. Eventually I sent the payment cheque made out to Thames Water Authority. They quickly replied that I had got the name wrong. I replied,"you get my name right and I'll get yours right"
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations