Not so much computer as a phone issue

Started by Newportnobby, July 07, 2022, 03:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tunneroner61

I, my wife and 2 (grown up) children are members of many Whatsapps groups. To my knowledge none of us has ever had any kind of dodgy post, spam or advertising post. Nor do we ever complain that the app is power hungry. I'd say go for it NN.

\just seen that you have so give it a fair chance.

Bealman

Wouldn't be without it, Mick. Our family use it multiple times daily. It's great for sending pics of the grandkids and stuff. We took pics of Sydney Harbour last night and sent them to the Bealettes straight away.

As Martin says, wouldn't be without it. I've never had any problems with it, either.

Recommended.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Never heard of people being spammed with lots of random stuff on WhatsApp. It's excellent, the easiest way to communicate with people across platforms and operating systems. As said, you can use it on your computer, either in your browser or via the WhatsApp Web download, and then send pics directly from your computer.

Bealman

I was using it to send pics back to Australia both times we met up, Mick.

Only thing with it, you need to proof read before you send, cos it won't allow editing after that.

njee20

You can delete the message if the error is that heinous though.

Bealman

I have a sneaking suspicion that it still shows up on my daughters  display, though!

But yes, you are correct.

It's the best thing, Mick, really. Been using it for nearly 10 years!

My pics that download quickly onto the NGF ate Whatsapp pics!

njee20

You can delete for you or delete for everyone. It shows "message deleted" regardless, but she won't see the message if you "delete for everyone".

busbar

Another advantage is that when abroad, provided you have wifi, you can send photos and messages home foc, whereas SMS can be expensive. Just remember to keep roaming OFF.

Nbodger

Mick,

I have been using WhatsApp for a long long time, like others have said no problems with it whatsoever, certainly no spam unlike SMS. Member of many WhatsApp groups, couldn't do without it now.

Steven B

I've been using it for a couple of years and have never received any spam via it (many may spam emails and SMS in that time!).

It was invaluable for keeping in touch with parents/grandparents during lock-down. My now six year old prefers a video call to a standard phone call.

I've not noticed it draining battery.

You won't find any instant messaging system that can cope with HD video of more than a couple of seconds in length. Better to load it to YouTube and send the link via WhatsApp or send the file via WeTransfer or similar.

Steven B.

Newportnobby

Quote from: busbar on July 08, 2022, 02:20:20 PM
Another advantage is that when abroad, provided you have wifi, you can send photos and messages home foc, whereas SMS can be expensive. Just remember to keep roaming OFF.

Thanks, but as I don't have a passport I'll not encounter that.

Quote from: Steven B on July 08, 2022, 03:34:45 PM
You won't find any instant messaging system that can cope with HD video of more than a couple of seconds in length. Better to load it to YouTube and send the link via WhatsApp or send the file via WeTransfer or similar.

I'll use FlickR as I do with e mail, thanks

TrevL

Unlike normal text messaging, I especially like the fact that you know the status of the message you sent with the "ticks"
1 grey tick= message has successfully left your phone.
2 grey ticks= message successfully received by receipient's phone
2 blue ticks= message read by receipient.
Also free video calling over wifi if at home.
I also fall into the camp of "Wouldn't be without it"
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bealman

Here's a typical Whatsapp post from yesterday, especially for Mick (cos I know he likes children  :D)...

GrandBealette's third birthday party. Mrs Bealman reads her the card while Bealman and Japan Bealette look like they're having a ton of fun in the background:

The lady in the foreground is my son-in-law's grandmother, who is 93 and doing quite alright, for the record!

Notice the beer in her right hand  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on July 17, 2022, 06:19:20 AM
Here's a typical Whatsapp post from yesterday, especially for Mick (cos I know he likes children  :D)...

The only child I see is the male one stood up at the back :P

Bealman

I'll bet the pic loaded quick, though, cos it's off Whatsapp.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations