Model railways as a pension fund - really?!

Started by Buffin, January 08, 2022, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

I have a lot of second hand 00 stuff to be converted into EM and upgraded. If I were to sell it tomorrow id get double what I paid for it just 5 years ago. Second hand prices have followed new prices up and up.
That's selling pieces individually properly described on eBay..

Also there's the odd item I've bought for less than a fiver, ( mint boxed)  that I've seen go on eBay for £75 or more.

Buying cheaply and being selective could make money. Buying new regular RTR not much hope of a profit unless they short run it and never make any more.

njee20

Everything in N is short runs and frequently not produced again (at least for Farish).

Look at Farish wagons which were all £15-20 new:
Seacows: got up to £80+ second hand
JJA Autoballasters: £75+
JPA cement tankers: £60+
Mk2 coaches: £70+

Etc etc.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: The Q on January 11, 2022, 06:50:49 PM
Buying new regular RTR not much hope of a profit unless they short run it and never make any more.

With the cost of tooling these days the only short or limited runs would be different liveries. Dapol have been very efficient in past years in doing this but unfortunately no matter what the running number etc, the market eventually ends up getting saturated with that model.

I think the Class 22 is probably a good example to use!

The Q

Quote from: njee20 on January 11, 2022, 07:11:45 PM
Everything in N is short runs and frequently not produced again (at least for Farish).

Look at Farish wagons which were all £15-20 new:
Seacows: got up to £80+ second hand
JJA Autoballasters: £75+
JPA cement tankers: £60+
Mk2 coaches: £70+

Etc etc.
if I were to buy new on a short run Item , hoping for an investment, you could guarantee that would be the item they'd re run production on.....

Catsick

Cannot read the article but suppose this is all assuming he doesn't get offered buttons for the rolling stock when he does need to sell them....
You don't know what you can do what you can't

GAD

Your pension 'fund' needs to be secure and retain value for a, hopefully, long time.

While Second hand values have recently gone through the roof I suspect the affect of covid restrictions have had their part to play. Monetary values of 30 year old mass produced rolling stock may well disappoint if younger, better items have been produced in the meantime.  An example would be the move to DCC and the difficulty of converting older locos from DC.
At best he's taking a huge risk. I hope it pays off for him, but I doubt it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations