Volvo FH ELECTRIC first 40T haul test

Started by exmouthcraig, January 07, 2022, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

The Volvo FH continues to blow away its competitors in the long haul truck market with the new full electric truck currently undergoing full laden tests in Europe.

The Volvo FH ELECTRIC has just completed a road test on the Green Truck Route in Germany hauling a 40Tonne load. The Green Route is a 343km test route with motorway, hilly terrain and narrow roads and is used to test various manufacturers trucks for economy research.

The FH has a battery range of 345km and with travelling the route at an average 80km/h was able to complete it on one charge!

As the market leader with the diesel range averaging 10mpg it was always going to be tough for Volvo to create an electric vehicle that still had the ability to haul a 40T payload.

No word yet as to prices when this Unit does hit the roads but I would expect it to carry at least a 60% cost increase on the current diesel version putting it around the £150k mark, serious price tag BUT a phenomenal leap forward in technology to bring this as a real threat to current markets.

Looks damn decent as well

guest311

so how many AAA batteries would I need to buy at Poundland to power this  :D

chrism

Quote from: class37025 on January 07, 2022, 02:52:58 PM

A 40' trailer loads worth  :smiley-laughing:

exmouthcraig

Current test set up is 4 x 170kWh batteries = 680kWh battery pack. 9hr charge with AC 43kW or 2.5hrs charge with DC 250kW

The 4 batteries weigh in at 4660kg!

exmouthcraig

Quote from: class37025 on January 07, 2022, 02:52:58 PM

Probably £150,000 worth

guest311

:hmmm:
think I'll stick with diesel, after all was "recommended" by governments as better than petrol, and let's be honest, cheaper and less damaging to the environment than gold wall paper  :D

PLD

It's certainly the best yet, but it needs the fundamental infrastructure to support it for it to be viable...
345km range @ 80 kph, is about 4.5 hours, so good for half a typical trunk driving shift. If there's a charger at every truck stop & layby capable of fully charging to do another 4 hours within the mandatory 40 minutes rest break, then it's a viable option. If the infrastructure's not there, you're going to need two units to do a full day's work...

exmouthcraig

That's THE BIGGEST problem with everything electric right now. France is pretty good with most motorway services dedicated to electric chargers, the generic petrol pumps are in the minority.

Here, who knows, which is ridiculous really, the nation that relays so heavily on road haulage, desperately need to do something viable to reduce our carbon footprint. The money being "spent" on HS2 could of been used to create full 5G network across the country AND electric charging facilities in every suitable location. But what do I know!  :dunce:

gc4946

Or electrify motorways such as a trial going on in Germany https://insideevs.com/news/440388/germany-a5-autobahn-catenary-overhead-lines-trucks/

the DfT has commissioned a consortium to study electrifying part of the M180 between Immingham and Doncaster https://www.costain.com/news/news-releases/green-light-for-path-to-uk-s-first-electric-motorway/
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

guest311

ahhh, now what does that remind me of  :hmmm:

TRAMS. :thumbsup:

talk about re-inventing the wheel, wonder how much the consultants will pocket on that, probably 100% of the budget.

and lets be honest, no company is going to invest in a fleet of trucks equipped for this unless they can go where needed, not just up and down a few miles of one road.

PLD

Trolley Lorrys  :smiley-laughing:

Don't they still have gas lights in Grimsby  :hmmm:

exmouthcraig

I'm sure theres a bigger argument to electrify railway lines up that there North then a few pointless miles of a bleak motorway!

We might as well electrify the rumble stripped hard shoulder white line like a third rail pick up, it will at least keep them in lane 1  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations