What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

RMweb seems to have been very under the weather over the last few weeks, with pages loading very slowly or not at all - anyone know what's up? Seems to have coincided with the display of generic popup videos which manage to be both pointless and highly annoying. Or is it just me?

:hmmm:

crewearpley40

Ian. I have found RMweb to be slow and full of annoying ads, events that are not happening listed and after checking my browsers and clearing my cache came to the same conclusions. Happy Christmas. Chris

PaulCheffus

Hi

They have been testing advertising for some time hence what you are seeing. If you are a gold member then you don't see so many ads and they are going to introduce another subscription level in the new year.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

ScottishModeller

And your point is?

There are several comments from Andy on RMWeb explaining about the verious problems since the last update.

Some of the problems have already been addressed and fixed, some have been temporarily fixed pending more changes in the New Year which it is hoped will address a lot of the problems that have occurred recently.

Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

njee20

Why the aggression, Phil? It's a valid question.

I've found several times the site simply won't load. Today was one. Yes theres a long running thread about the advert testing, but that's full moaning and Andy getting annoyed at the moaners. And that assumes you can even access that site if the page loads.

For a large, commercially backed site the performance is shambolic. At least once a week I just get a Cloudflare outage page.

railsquid

Indeed, my point is it's gone from normally usable to something between painfully slow and just broken (at least when I've tried accessing it), and I haven't had the patience to try and click through the site to work out what's up, on the other hand the bit which does seem to work quite well are these pointless popups, so was merely wondering if anyone has any insights (or if it's just me).

Chris Morris

The adverts are irksome and slow things down.  I liked the forum the way it was and  it isn't important enough for me to pay a subscription for it. Having said that the bottom line is that Warners is a business and can only continue to exist if it makes a profit. It is quite reasonable of them to try to generate some income from a service that cost them money to provide. So no complaints from me; it's been great that it has been provided for free and without pop up advertising for so long.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Trainfish

Quote from: crewearpley40 on December 23, 2021, 12:49:06 PM
Ian. I have found RMweb to be slow and full of annoying ads, events that are not happening listed and after checking my broswers and clearing my cache came to the same conclusions. Happy Christmas. Chris

I have found RMweb to be slow and full of annoying people and rarely bother with it these days so I have no idea or interest in whether it works or not. Just my opinion of course.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Part of the NGF upgrade involves the sabotage of their site. Normal service will never be resumed as they have been assimilated into the Borg collective >:D

Gordon

Quote from: Chris Morris on December 23, 2021, 01:52:51 PM
The adverts are irksome and slow things down.  I liked the forum the way it was and  it isn't important enough for me to pay a subscription for it. Having said that the bottom line is that Warners is a business and can only continue to exist if it makes a profit. It is quite reasonable of them to try to generate some income from a service that cost them money to provide. So no complaints from me; it's been great that it has been provided for free and without pop up advertising for so long.

Well put

The 'business' element is really the problem.

Hobby forums are much better when they are managed by willing (and all such people deserve everyone's unwavering support) and able volunteers. I would much prefer an RM Web style forum but 'non-aligned'. The trouble is it is impossible to get everyone interested in one subject to support the same one forum so you end up with dozens of similar forums with different groups of people on each one, which arguably spreads the  'gen' too thinly.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Dorsetmike

QuoteThe adverts are irksome and slow things down.

https://adblockplus.org/

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

jpendle

The "problem" with RMWeb is the sheer number of very knowledgeable people who use it.

If I wanted to know which style of lamp irons were used on an 1897 vintage Furness Railway kettle, someone there would probably have the answer.

On here, forgive me, not so much  :P

However I no longer post about my layout on RMWeb, just here.  :D

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

I post a bit more on here, but my interests extend outside of N (sorry) and it's just a far busier forum.

I used to spend a huge amount of time on a cycling forum which was very similar - commercial, attached to a magazine publishers (albeit they only published the eponymous mountain biking magazine). They messed around with adverts to the extent the site became a right pain, but they also introduced a membership tier for £1.50 a month to get rid of all adverts. I happily paid up and actually I'm still paying, even though I only visit the site every couple of months now. RMWeb should've had a better alternative to "Gold", which is very expensive and includes too many bells and whistles, in place before they started messing about with it.

dannyboy

Quote from: railsquid on December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM
both pointless and highly annoying. Or is it just me?

I don't think any one would describe you as "pointless and highly annoying" Ian.   ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Coyote

Quote from: njee20 on December 23, 2021, 09:58:39 PM
I post a bit more on here, but my interests extend outside of N (sorry) and it's just a far busier forum.

I used to spend a huge amount of time on a cycling forum which was very similar - commercial, attached to a magazine publishers (albeit they only published the eponymous mountain biking magazine). They messed around with adverts to the extent the site became a right pain, but they also introduced a membership tier for £1.50 a month to get rid of all adverts. I happily paid up and actually I'm still paying, even though I only visit the site every couple of months now. RMWeb should've had a better alternative to "Gold", which is very expensive and includes too many bells and whistles, in place before they started messing about with it.
STW?
Visit Mossdale's YouTube channel for a view of a 1920's LMS railway in North Yorkshire or Mossdale Road for some shunting

https://youtube.com/@MossdaleNGaugeRailway

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations