Railways in art

Started by Jim Easterbrook, November 23, 2021, 10:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Check out :

https://warwickshirerailways.com/index.htm

This is the home page of warwickshirerailways.com that features a painting of New Street Station during the steam age by a bloke with a funny name that begins with 'A'.

Might be worth googling him to find out if he did any other railway-themed paintings ?

icairns

I bought this picture the last time I was in England in 2019.  It is a signed, limited edition print (227/850) of No. 35005 Canadian Pacific and it is by J.E. Wigston.  It is dated 1981 in the corner of the print.

This artist appears to have been quite prolific.  Anyone know much about him or his art (this print in particular)?

Ian

jpendle

As I don't have the monet to own a Monet or a Turner, I don't have anything to post.

But Monet did a ton of train pictures and "Rain, Steam, Speed" by Turner is iconic.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

PLD

Quote from: icairns on November 24, 2021, 10:33:45 PM
I bought this picture the last time I was in England in 2019.  It is a signed, limited edition print (227/850) of No. 35005 Canadian Pacific and it is by J.E. Wigston.  It is dated 1981 in the corner of the print.

This artist appears to have been quite prolific.  Anyone know much about him or his art (this print in particular)?

Ian

John is still around and still painting. Pre COVID, he was a regular at several model railway shows including York and Wakefield. Always happy to interrupt whatever he was working on for a chat about the subject.

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on November 23, 2021, 10:36:55 AM
Another picture that caught my eye recently is "Spirit of the Southern" by Harry Stevens.

Spirit of the Southern, Harry Stevens, 1969

I've just seen this on Twitter. Something in common?

Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

OffshoreAlan

Here's one I obtained several years ago. It's an advert for a Tea Merchant in Portsmouth who blended tea specially for local areas. Unfortunately they folded some time ago which was a pity as they had a cosy little cafe attached to the factory which I frequented regularly.  A few of their blends were taken over by another Company further east, but not HBT sadly. No artist given.

Paul J

On my visit to Avignon last week, I found this in a gallery:

This is the only Van Gogh that is still in Provence. The Wikipedia entry I linked to is not a great quality image as it is a bit washed out compared to the real thing.

LASteve

Funnily enough, I'm in the Hilton in Alpharetta just north of Georgia for a couple of days, and this is the picture in my room. I wonder if they put it up when I checked in?

Bealman

Looks like N gauge to me!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Bealman on December 08, 2021, 04:59:15 AM
Looks like N gauge to me!

And someone overdid the weathering.
Jim Easterbrook

Jim Easterbrook

I went to the Magritte museum in Brussels last week and saw several paintings I'd not seen before, including this:

La Locomotive (1922)
René Magritte

Jim Easterbrook

Bealman

Sorry, don't like that one. I think even I could do better. Me four year old granddaughter definitely could.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

icairns

Sadly, my friend Dave Stokes passed away recently in Palm Springs, California.  Dave was a professional photographer and, before retiring, he worked for many car and motorcycle magazines in the UK.  He was also a very talented artist and painted a variety of subjects. 

After his passing, his wife Carol began distributing some of his paintings to friends and family.  Knowing my interest in railways, Carol has very kindly given me the painting below. 

I know that Dave often worked from photos and I am curious to know if anyone can identify the origins of the painting below.  My first thoughts were French, German, or Japanese prototypes.  The loco wheels look red so then I thought German. 

However, all the locos are fitted with what looks like cowcatchers which would seem to rule out Germany.  The main locomotive has a four-digit number which is 108? (last digit unidentifiable).  I am not sure what the weird structure is on top of tender. 

It is also possible that Dave just worked from his imagination and he just made up the scene that he painted. 

Note that the paining has a double matte.  The inner matte is about ½" wide and is cut separately.  Then the painting continues for another ½" before reaching the outer matte (which is mostly cropped out of the photo below).

I would welcome any ideas of the protype for this painting. 

Ian

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations