Code of Conduct revision request.

Started by OffshoreAlan, November 05, 2021, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffshoreAlan

I note that the Code of Conduct does not include any reference to staying on topic in a thread (other forums I use do have this rule).

Would it be possible to add this rule, and ensure it is adhered to (the other forums admittedly are not always very diligent in this respect).

If you need to comment on an entry which goes off topic (a not uncommon occurrence) then the best way to tackle it IMHO is to start a new topic appropriately headed and include in your first post a link to the topic which inspired it - a technique I've used many times on other forums, and demonstrate in the following paragraph – where I've started a new topic here instead of posting on the York Railway Station & the National Rail Museum topic.

This post has a risen as a result of my frustration with the York Railway Station & the National Rail Museum (see https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=55247.msg734855#msg734855 ) topic which was originally fairly short and very rich in interesting material about the subject. It has now wandered off into a topic about Listed Buildings in the Railway Network, with the potential to dilute the original interesting (to me) topic with loads of debris about a topic which is of little interest (to me).

Another farcical example of this trait is the Code of Conduct topic itself which a quick check just revealed currently a discussion on board materials (this occurring round about entry number 500 – I ask you, over 500 responses on Rules of Conduct, it beggars belief) – and who would ever be drawn to it when encountering board material issues, "oh I've got a problem with board materials, I'll look in the Site Rules topic".  (yes, I do know about the Search facility).

I admit I'm biased because I hate long meandering threads, with several obvious exceptions of course - horses for courses.

To a lesser extent I would also make a plea to avoid entries like "great thread" etc., there is a rating system available where you can express your appreciation – use it, don't clutter the Topic.  If these two modifications were implemented it would reduce the York Station Topic by about 30%, leaving only those totally relevant to the topic.

I hope I'm not sounding too like Victor Meldrew  :)

[End of Rant.]

What do other members think ?

port perran

This is an interesting topic.
I can totally see where you are coming from but I guess it's going to be pretty difficult to manage.
I'm probably guilty of taking some threads off topic and wandering off in all sorts of directions. However, I like the spontaneity of the forum as it is.
So....whilst I agree with what you are saying, my vote is to let sleeping dogs lie.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jeff McGhie

I think the moderation on here is well managed and I prefer the light touch approach to going off topic. One of the prototype forums I frequent is heavily moderated and topics are frequently split up to the extent that it is often difficult to follow a given thread as anything even slightly outwith the original post are deemed 'off topic' and split into a new thread. As an example to topic of the recent crash as Salisbury is now in nearly a dozen different topics across 3 or 4 different parts of the forum.

As to your last point, I'd no idea there was a rating system on the thread but it would help with my own personal bugbear of someone quoting a whole post (usually including multiple picture) to make a 1 line comment at the bottom.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jeff McGhie on November 05, 2021, 07:46:30 PM

.....my own personal bugbear of someone quoting a whole post (usually including multiple picture) to make a 1 line comment at the bottom.

@Jeff McGhie
One of my pet bugbears too.
The rating system is under each and every post - just click on the one best suiting you

njee20

Quoting entire posts, just to say "looks great" should be a banning offence. As should posts like "I don't know, but someone will".

The trouble with stifling anything deemed off topic is that you very quickly curtail any sort of natural discussion. It's entirely natural for people to meander a little bit. Historically threads on here have been locked very keenly; at a point the discussion gets interesting, even if mildly off topic. This in turn means fewer posts and a less interesting forum.

If you want very specific discussion then a blog type site is portably more appropriate.

maridunian

Hi - I too get exasperated with meandering threads, so I just abandon them to those that enjoy them. The Forum's a very 'broad church' and its easy-going vibe is much less intimidating than some other sites which are purer, but poorer for it.

You will find that certain posters and their friends are extremely focussed and business-like with little interruption, deviation or repetition, but again the tone is set by the original poster. If initiators don't mind, well ...

Formal site threads not doing what it says on the tin are unhelpful, I agree.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

njee20

I must confess, ages ago I wrote a reply to the Code of Conduct thread suggesting it be locked, as that really is a thread that doesn't need lots of replies, most of them either people feeling they have to actually accept it, or posting their  introductions there. I decided I didn't care that much and deleted it though.

I don't think this forum helps itself with its insane number of sub-forums, but I know others really like that. Each to their own.

Hiawatha

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 05, 2021, 08:17:07 PM
Quote from: Jeff McGhie on November 05, 2021, 07:46:30 PM

.....my own personal bugbear of someone quoting a whole post (usually including multiple picture) to make a 1 line comment at the bottom.

And that one line hidden somewhere in the quoted text.  :)

@Jeff McGhie
One of my pet bugbears too.
The rating system is under each and every post - just click on the one best suiting you
Peter

emjaybee

I think the proposed changes would do permanent harm to the dynamic of the Forum.

Yes, threads sometimes go off topic and meander, I've found that a polite post requesting that we get back on topic usually sorts this. In my opinion, that's up to the OP as to whether they're happy with the direction of travel.

Yes, the Code of Conduct thread could do without replies.

Too many sub-forums? You don't have to read them, just look at the ones you wish to.

It doesn't help that the OP appears to says that he doesn't like long meandering threads, except for the ones he does like.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

ntpntpntp

A few threads wander sometimes but I don't really see the harm in it. If it goes too far off topic I just stop reading.

This forum probably does have too many sub-categories, but to be honest I don't notice as I only ever call up the list of "unread posts since last visit" and delve into whatever catches my interest regardless of what sub-forum it may reside.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

I'd like to think that the fact that we have been going 10 years and have almost 9000 listed members suggests we're doing something right.

Just saying, like.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PLD

Quote from: OffshoreAlan on November 05, 2021, 06:01:41 PMI admit I'm biased because I hate long meandering threads, with several obvious exceptions of course - horses for courses.
What a long and meandering post...  ;)

There is a distinction to be made between legitimate 'related tangents to the main discussion' which I think is a fair description of the Listed buildings deviation in the York Thread (York Station is after all a listed building!) and the (very few) cases where someone does post something completely unrelated in a thread. 95% are probably accidental, and a simple click on the "report to Moderator" button with a clear explanation usually yields the appropriate action.

It's maybe more of an 'education' issue and a bit of flexibility/tolerance needed, rather than any additional Rules with strict enforcement.

Overall, the relatively light touch moderation compared to some more draconian fora is refreshing and welcome.

stevewalker

I've always considered (perhaps I am too used to unmoderated Usenet) wandering off topic to be normal - just as conversations move from topic to topic chatting to friends in the pub.

Bealman

I take the view that it's up to the OP. I know my layout thread has wandered all over the place, but it doesn't bother me.... at least I know people are looking at it!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 05, 2021, 11:19:36 PM
This forum probably does have too many sub-categories, but to be honest I don't notice as I only ever call up the list of "unread posts since last visit" and delve into whatever catches my interest regardless of what sub-forum it may reside.

Yes, I do too, but I do wonder if it can be overwhelming for new members, hence a tendency to post a welcome post in the code of conduct thread, because it's sticky and visible. Keeps a lovely trade in moving threads though!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations