Class 52 -Western

Started by geofff, October 31, 2021, 04:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello ,  I'm looking a class 52 ( Western) without any yellow panels. I've tried the 2 manufacturers and ebay , but no luck.

Does anyone know if there is such a model without any yellow panels?  I'm modeling the transition period of steam to diesel on the western region. Would prefer a brand new model.

msr

D1000 Western Enterprise was released in maroon without any warning panels: Dapol 2d-003-008

geofff

Thanks , is there an un-weathered model?

Bob G

Hi @geofff

Westerns were not around until 1962. Only a few were ever built without small yellow panels (SYP) as standard.
D1000 in maroon without SYP was in fact a fictional livery (a mistake by Dapol, actually).
D1000 was originally in Desert Sand with no yellow panel (1962), then had a SYP (1962-64) (Osborns special editions with and without weathering), then went into maroon with a SYP (1964-67).
D1008 Western Harrier was one of the few Westerns to have a lemon yellow front skirt (1962-64) rather than a SYP when it was first built. This is still a current Dapol model (2D-003-013).
All the other Westerns that have been made by Dapol started off in Maroon (or Green) with an SYP from 1962, so it is totally allowable to have SYP with steam.
The green SYP Westerns went to Maroon SYP in 1965-66.

HTH
Bob 

Newportnobby

Comprehensive reply from Bob.
Data attached as pdf for Western liveries.......

geofff

Gentlemen , very many thanks. I lived near Slough at the transittion period and remember the D1000's coming in, after the Warships and Hymeks. I was particually impressed with the sand coloured locos.

There do not appear to be any brand new models for sale at the moment. I guess that I'll keep searching.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Geoff

tunneroner61

I recommend this website for information on released models:
http://www.ngauge.org.uk/index.php

A mine of information !!!!

tunneroner61

Hattons have some pre-owned Westerns but you said you preferred new.

You'll have to search the assorted shops that do N gauge, I've used these in the past:

Rails
Hattons
Colletts
Kernow
Frome Model Centre
Bure Valley
Model Railways Direct
Cheltenham Models
Kent Garden Railways
Keithley & Worth Valley Railway

Bob G

That's a reasonable list. Sounds like you will have to get one now😁

Phoenix

Hi there,

Following on from tunneroner61 a friend of mine has just bought the Desert Sand western from Osborn's and it looks fabulous  :D :thumbsup: :D

He has not had a chance to run it yet so I can't comment on how it runs, but it looks brill

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

tunneroner61

And of course you could also buy one in the wrong livery for your railway/time frame and either repaint it yourself or have it done professionally by the likes of Mercig and many others.

osborns

or just re-paint out the yellow panel on D1000 (available new from Osborns)

Bob G

Osborns D1000 is still in era for you. No need to paint it out.
Bob

Chris Morris

Pretty much any Western with a small yellow panel would be fine with steam locos. Yellow panels began being added in 1962. The West Country was the first area to be dieselised but there was still steam around in 1963. Steam had all but disappeared from the Western Region in the South West by 1964 though. There were however 32 Castles still in service on he Western Region during the summer of 1964. These were based mainly in the Midlands with 10 shedded and Wolverhampton and another 5 at Tyseley. Plenty of other ex GWR steam locos also remained in service until circa 1965, especially in the Midlands area. In the summer of 1964 Tyseley depot also had 11 Halls, 6 Granges, 3 Manors, 6 56xx, 10 other tank locos, 5 8Fs and 6 9Fs. This is at a time when almost all of the London expresses had been dieselised. The Castles were still used on passenger services and did haul a small number of passenger trains to Paddington.

You can therefore quite reasonably mix maroon, green, golden ochre and desert sand Westerns with small yellow panels with steam locos. Green Warships with or without yellow panels would also be fine but not maroon or blue. Surprisingly maroon Warships didn't appear until 1965. Hymeks would also be fine and the odd class 22.

Coaching stock would be mostly maroon during this period with the odd chocolate and cream coach turning up in rakes of mostly maroon coaches. Crimson and cream coaches would have disappeared before yellow warning panels came in. You could also see the green coaches from the Southern Region being hauled by both steam and diesel Western Region locos. I can't be too certain about how often this happened but services such as the Saturday  9:40 Eastbourne to Wolverhampton often had a Castle on the front for the last part of its journey during the summer of 1964. I expect that any service originating in Eastbourne could possibly have been made up of green coaches but I can't be sure.

Freight wagons would all be in BR livery by this time - no private owner coal wagons allowed at all.

I hope this is helpful.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations