My Shoulder Op This Tuesday

Started by Mr Sprue, October 16, 2021, 06:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Not looking forward to it as I've never been opened up before with the surgeons blade, although having said that I did have the snip under a local. :-[ But this cut is going to be a bit deeper!

This Tuesdays agenda is to have a shoulder op to re attach two torn tendons to my left shoulder under a full knock out, so having never experienced being put out I'm feeling a little apprehensive to say the least!

Southerngooner

There is something quite magical about going under. All the staff are chatting to you, then it's count down from ten and ....Woodham, the next thing you know you're in recovery and it's quiet.

Hope it all goes well and that recovery is good. Need to have you fit to get that 71 finished!

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

dannyboy

Good luck for Tuesday. I have only once been been fully 'knocked out', a few years ago when they were doing some sort of  prostate biopsy. I was laid on the bed and wheeled into what I can only described as a basement storage area. Thinking to myself that I hoped they were not doing the operation here the next thing was I was waking up in a nice little room. A nurse came in with a cup of coffee and a slice of toast and switched the television on for me! The nurse said I had to lay there for half an hour and as I said to her, "I'm not complaining".  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mr Sprue

Thanks guys, I guess I'm biting my finger nails for no reason. People who know me will tell you I'm no pussy so I guess it's the bit where your out of control that bothers me!

daffy

Suddenly the shoulder pains my physio is trying to correct pale into insignificance. Wishing you the very best for Tuesday, and fear not the descent into temporary painless slumber. I've been there a fair few times and the reverse countdown has always led to a brighter awakening (okay, so sometimes I also got some post-op issues, like the tea they brought me tasting rather metallic).

:beers:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RBTKraisee

All the best with the op.

Whenever you can, let us know how it went.   No rush, but there will be folk here thinking of you and sending good wishes.

Take care!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Southerngooner on October 16, 2021, 06:51:25 PM
There is something quite magical about going under. All the staff are chatting to you, then it's count down from ten and ....Woodham, the next thing you know you're in recovery and it's quiet.

Not sure about 'Woodham' as it just brings memories of 'Dai' and 'scrapyard' :uneasy:

All the best for the op and I hope it eases the tendon problem

GlenEglise

I have forgotten how many times I have been fully knocked out for surgery.

As has been said, in general you worry more about the unknown. Once you've done it you'll wonder why you worried.

I won't go into the potential downsides as generally there aren't any issues.

Good fortune!

GE

Bealman

All the best for the operation. As others have said, the anaesthetic is nowt to worry about. When I had a few some years ago, the guy who put me out was one of my old school pupils. I was more worried about that than anything else!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

stevewalker

I've had general anaesthetics twice. On the first occasion they gave me an injection in my room (I had a private room on Bupa) that they said was to ensure that I was relaxed before they took me to theatre - and I remember nothing from that until waking up back in my room.  On the second (NHS) they took me to a room outside the theatre and again I had an injection and then woke up in the recovery room.

Mr Sprue

Yes I guess its the unknown bit that is bothering me about going under.

My youngest brother had the same op when he was 57, he reckoned the worse part is after the op when the anesthetic wears off! :worried:

Whats bothering me this morning I feel like I could be be going down with a light cold, bit of a runny nose and the odd sneeze. SWMBO has already told me they wont operate if this doesn't go away!

Papyrus

I always think of that line from one of the Carry On films, I think it was:

"Mr Anaesthetist, if the patient can stay awake during the operation, surely you can!"

Seriously, I hope it goes well. I've had the full KO once and apart from feeling nauseous for 24 hours afterwards it was just fine.

All the best,

Chris

Bob G

All the best for your op.

My wife nearly caused me to miss my op, as she was going to be driving me to the BUPA hospital but had not filled her tank with petrol. The car was on empty and it was very early in the morning. We did eventually find a petrol station and filled up but we were late arriving and my blood pressure was up, because of the anxiety of not having enough fuel to get to the hospital!!!

Once I'd calmed down a little, as I was wheeled down to have my gall bladder out, we got to the point where the surgeon and anaesthetist introduced themselves to me.
The anaesthetist said however much the surgeon's skill was valuable, in the end it was him that ensured I stayed alive or not, so he was the person I should be keeping on side.

I laughed, and then woke up a few hours later. He kept his side of the bargain as did the surgeon :)

Since you can't influence the surgery, just go with it, and you will be fine.

Bob

joe cassidy

I hope it's not the shoulder to which your drinking arm is attached ?

Delboy

Best wishes for your op on Tuesday. I am sure you you will be fine as I would imagine this to be fairly routine for the surgeons involved. Having been under general anaesthetic, my experience was that I woke up very hungry and felt as if I had experienced the best sleep every.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations