RIP Paddy Moloney

Started by Papyrus, October 13, 2021, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I hear a loud chorus of... "who?"

Paddy Moloney who died yesterday aged 83 was one of the most influential Irish traditional musicians of the last 60 years, founder of the ground-breaking band, the Chieftains. You may not have heard of him but you have almost certainly heard his music. He collaborated widely among musicians from other genres, from Mick Jagger to Luciano Pavarotti. He provided soundtracks for films and TV and the Chieftains were one of the first western bands to tour China when it started to open up to the outside world. I was lucky enough to see them in concert once when they came to Brighton about 15 years ago and it was unforgettable.

By coincidence, we were at a gig last night by another Irish band, Dervish. It was a great evening - it was their first gig back on the road after lockdown and they played a storming set. They had a ready-made tribute song in their set, 'Welcome Paddy Home', which was greeted with huge applause.

No idea what sort of send-off he will have, but the wake should be the stuff of legend!

Cheers,

Chris

RailGooner

A wizard with the tin whistle.

Suaimhneas síoraí dá anam Paddy.

Newportnobby

Many years ago I spent a week in Westport, Co.Mayo and frequented Matt Molloy's pub for the general craic (Guinness and dancing) and the Chieftains put in the odd appearance.
I've always liked their music and prefer the uilleann pipes to bagpipes.

Farewell, Paddy :goodbye:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations