BBMF Members Day, Saturday 25th September 2021

Started by daffy, September 27, 2021, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

This year saw the return of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's 'Members Day', when supporters can get a little beyond the wire at RAF Coningsby, the Flight's base since 1976. Admission is by strictly limited pre-booked ticket only, max 2 per member of the Official Memorial Club and the Lincolnshire Lancaster Association, (as well as specially invited guests and VIPs such as veterans), and this year I finally managed to get lucky. After a cancellation last year due to Covid, this year tickets were issued free of charge, with accompanied children under 16 able to attend without ticket.

My stepson Martyn and his son Thomas, aged 5, and I arrived to park opposite the BBMF hanger next to Dogdyke Lane at 11:30m and despite the queue were soon setting out our seats on the grass beside the hard standing outside the hanger. Tom had never been to an aircraft event before, and as he had a known problem with very loud noises (trains on the East Coast Line rushing by the footpath near his home had proved that) he came ready equipped with good ear defenders.

On the taxiways to our left were five of the Flight's fighters (one of the two Hurricanes and four Spitfires) as well as the two de Havilland T10 Chipmunk trainers used to familiarise new fighter pilots to the Flight with 'tail dragger' aircraft characteristics. Beyond the Hurricane in its night-fighter black garb stood the olive green Dakota, but of the BBMF's flagship, the Avro Lancaster, one of only two flying in the World today, there was no sign.

Surrounded as we were by enthusiasts it was inevitable that we soon learnt that 'she' was returning from a flypast over Stafford and suddenly all eyes were focussed to our right, beyond the trees beside Dogdyke Lane. A distant familiar drone very rapidly grew into a roar as Lancaster B1 PA474 announced her arrival low over the tree tops to pass directly over our heads. I never fail to be impressed by the four engined bomber, on the ground or in the air, but for Tom this sudden cacophonous arrival was a total shock as he had not had time to put on his ear defenders, so immediately sat head down, hands over his ears, seeing nothing, fearing much. But we adults were as unprepared as he, for our cameras were still in our pockets!

The Lancaster did a broad circuit before landing, out of sight beyond the line of Typhoon hangers, soon appearing and taxiing around to park up just in front of us:

Unfortunately the pics fail to capture the motion of the Merlin engine propellers due to operator error! The sound you will have to imagine.

TBC......
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

chrism

daffy

It would be about an hour before the flying display would begin. Exact timing was unknown, although in previous years this had been at about 1:30pm, as the tannoy system was not audible from our position. So we went for a wander into the BBMF hanger with its eclectic assortment of trade stands and a view of two Spitfires currently undergoing maintenance. We tried to get Tom interested in the sight of Merlin engines freed of their covering panels, as well as other assorted aircraft elements and a vintage motor racing car, but his attention was focussed on the memory that Dad has said we would buy him a present.

Tom, very interested in this fine racing car ;) :

Eyes diligently searching he soon spotted the trade stand with the objects of his desire, ready-made model aeroplanes in nice shiny, colourful boxes. Of course, this was a careful, considered selection process, based of course on what he'd already seen here. Well, maybe not. A Eurofighter was first choice, then a Lancaster was rejected outright, and finally a Sepecat Jaguar in a biscuit brown colour caught his eye. Unable to decide we left the stand with a promise of lunch.

Outside we found a few catering vans and Martyn took his place at the back of a snaking queue while I showed Tom a Spitfire he was allowed to touch (a life-size replica) and a Willys Jeep. An ice cream was slowly consumed before Tom and I returned to ours seats.

Soon restless, this 5 year old reasoned with me that we should go back in the hanger as he thought there would be nothing left for him. Not faulting his logic he was soon the proud owner of a die-cast Jaguar, the stall owner dissuading him from the larger, dearer Typhoon because it was a "delicate" plastic model. That's good. It should survive the rest of the day!

For almost an hour now Martyn had remained in the food queue, still there when pilots and crew appeared, aircraft were readied, and the Lancaster's engines began their sequential start-up. Tom was enthralled and sat atop my shoulders, defenders in place, and telling me, as well as I could hear, each time one of the five fighters started it's engine.  Thankfully Martyn now returned to us, laden with burgers and chips. Soon seven aircraft, including the Dakota, with the Lancaster leading the way, were either on the move towards the runway or waiting their turn to leave the parking area. Wonderful sight. Wonderful sound. , missing little.

About ten minutes later the distant sound of full throttle Merlins came to our ears as first the fighters, then the Dakota, and finally the Lancaster took to the air, each appearing above the Typhoon hangers and disappearing into the distance beyond the nearby trees.

Peace returned to Coningsby. Food was consumed. Tom was talking to his Jaguar and asking me questions such as "What happens if the wings fall off?", and "If the pilot falls out and it does this (model pointed nose-down to the ground).....". Then, for maybe the first and only time, my ears caught the voice on the tannoy announcing: "..... the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight!"

Immediately, and apparently right on time, all seven aircraft approached across the far side of the airfield in close formation, turning to their left in line with the runway and returning over the trees to our right a few minutes later. Seven aircraft, nine Merlins and two Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasps flew low and slow before us to cheers and applause from the crowd.

A magnificent sight. Tom was amazed.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Splendid stuff, Mike.  Thank you very much.

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

dannyboy

Thank you Mike. A nice descriptive narrative and some good photographs.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I used to live not far from RAF Cosford so each year we often got an earful of Merlins. Just makes my hair stand on end (what little I have)

daffy

But more to come, mainly a few more of my bad photos, but Sheila not well again today so there may be a delay.

Thanks for all comments. Writing helps me relax.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Sheila comes first! We will wait for the photo's, (especially if there are more of the Lancaster and Dakota  ;)).
David.

daffy

Sheila fast asleep so on we go.......

First of all my apologies for the poor quality of the photos. My iPhone has a bad operator chip. ;)

For around an hour the seven aircraft continued the display flying, but in different grouping and formations. Sadly the poor tannoy system meant we had little idea what was going to happen and when, but despite some lengthy gaps all was most enjoyable, if a little distant at times. I believe this is due to safety factors, some dictated by the aftermath of the Shoreham disaster, others by the layout of RAF Coningsby itself (the BBMF hanger is on the northern edge right against the public road). Also of course is the heritage protection of these prized aircraft, which have their flying hours and stress levels strictly limited each year. They are not a flying circus after all. They are a memorial.

The Lancaster took the lead in the classic formation of three aircraft, with a Spitfire on the port wing, the Hurricane to starboard:

The Spit is a Mk XVIe, serial TE311 with 'clipped' wings.
The Hurricane is a Mk IIc, PZ865, known as "the last of the many", being the last ever built of 14,533.

The Dakota made a couple of runs along the line of the main runway before leaving the area for a long time, probably, as is the way with the BBMF, fitting in another flypast elsewhere. When it did return my phone was in my pocket and Tom was on my shoulders so I'm afraid I have no photos of it. Sorry David.

The Lanc made similar runway runs and turns; a Spit and the Hurri danced in opposition; and a tail chase involving Spits kept the afternoon entertaining. At distance all these meant my poor phone could only show poor resolution results, as with this of the Lanc, undercarriage down, beyond the Typhoon hangers. It's flight was over the runway, the common axis for all displays other than the three that flew directly over or close to us. These three were notably not over buildings of any sort.

It was at this point I abandoned taking photos of aircraft in the air.

The Mk II Spitfire was early to land and return to the park, this being the only Spitfire currently flying that actually flew during the Battle of Britain. The others followed, the mighty Lancaster being the last we saw come 'home'. The Dakota landed after we had left the airfield for our own homes.

TBC later.....

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Thanks for those photographs Mike - and I forgive you for not having any more of the Dakota.  :). (The Lancaster runs a close second  ;)).
David.

Train Waiting

Quote from: dannyboy on September 28, 2021, 05:34:14 PM
Thanks for those photographs Mike - and I forgive you for not having any more of the Dakota.  :). (The Lancaster runs a close second  ;)).

I don't have a favourite (although if I did it might well be the aircraft that is missing from this wonderful display), but I really like the Hawker Hurricane.  As a nation we are indebted to so many people and companies.  Just imagine if Rolls-Royce hadn't designed and built the Mighty Merlin...

Excellent pictures and even better words, Mike.  Please keep them coming.

With best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

daffy

Tom had been vacillating between watching the aircraft in the skies around him; playing with his Jaguar; or eating another Bourbon Cream or two. But when the aircraft started returning his attention was drawn to each in turn. Once more I hoisted him up onto my shoulders (they still ache today!) and tried not to worry about him grabbing my temples and trying to turn my head to where he thought I/we should be looking.

Spitfire TE311 approached along the taxiway to park right up against the temporary barriers in front of the BBMF hanger:

Before her engine was shut down Hurricane PZ865 drew up alongside, resplendent in her new all-black nightfighter garb:

Within five minutes both pilots had left their planes, waving to the crowd and chatting to anybody who had a question or just wanted to show their appreciation. Meanwhile Technicians were looking after the aircraft:

Note the tail fin of the Hurricane behind the roundel on the Spit, and Tattersall Castle in the distance, a key marker for pilots, just beyond the River Bain.

Another five minutes saw the approach of the Lancaster:

Such a shame I can't post the iPhone 'Live' characteristic of these photos here to show the props in motion and the wondrous sound.

The Lanc swings in to stop and shut down those glorious Merlins - after a short burst on the throttles:

TBC - the final part....
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

With the arrival of the Flight's flagship it was sadly time for us to leave. Two Spitfires were still chasing their way across the skies and the Dakota was still to land (I think it might have gone off on another foray elsewhere, to return later), but Tom's Mum was expecting them before 5 o'clock to celebrate her birthday. They also had to pick up sister Ruby - and drop me off at the same time! This would also give Tom's Nanny a chance to give him a hug or two (while defending all the valued items in our house from his, shall we say, over-enthusiastic fingers.)

So with one last photo of the now silent giant we packed our seats, picked up our rubbish, and bade farewell to RAF Coningsby - for now.

Note the open bomb-bay doors, and the perimeter fence alongside Dogdyke Lane.

It was a most enjoyable day, though perhaps Martyn might have preferred not to be stuck in a queue for so long. Clearer skies would have been nice, though these would arrive before the Flight was returned to the hanger that evening.
I have witnessed Members Day every day it's been held for the last seven years, though this, as I said, was my first inside the wire. In truth I find the outsider experience to be the better one as far as watching the aircraft displays is concerned. Whether across the fields beside the river (usually at a point between the BBMF hanger and Tattersall Castle), or close to the end of the runway on Dogdyke Lane (viewing area car-park here), the sight lines are far better and broader. Added to this is the approach to the hanger by both individual aircraft and formations is frequently made from the Tattersall Castle direction, so little 'ol me sat by the river gets the best view in the house!

This side of the airfield is also where aircraft awaiting their turn to display will often make circuits, so close views and photo opportunities are far more frequent. This was noted on Saturday as the Lancaster must have flown at least four full wide circles in the vicinity. But I shall try to get tickets for next year. Being up close and personal with the crews and technicians as well as their aircraft is something to savour. And if I'm unlucky in the ticket lottery, you will find me, on a blanket, Snickers in one hand, binoculars in the other, down by the river waiting for the fun to begin. You are most welcome to join me.

And did Tom enjoy his day? Did he truly get over his abrupt welcome to the world of the mighty Merlin? Here he is, sat atop his Grandad's shoulders, ear defenders in place, watching the return of the Lancaster. What do you think?

And finally - take a look at a few photos and videos of the day on the BBMF's Facebook page (you don't have to join Facebook to do so). They are somewhat superior to my own, but the photographers had a slight advantage. ;) (And there might even be a shot or two of that Dakota thingy for David. :D )

https://m.facebook.com/BBMF.Official?fref=photo

Lest we forget.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations