Anyone familiar with GDPR and consumer rights?

Started by emjaybee, September 22, 2021, 10:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with a motor vehicle insurance company. They weren't clear on the phone when I called to cancel a policy, and I was subsequently charged £29+ to cancel the policy which was six weeks from expiry.

I wasn't given the option to let the policy run out, and I wasn't told how much they were going to charge me. The company in question has told me they have listened to the conversation from their recoding and they say it is clear what I was being told.

I'm going to pass the info onto the Financial Ombudsman.

My question is this:

Do I have a right to obtain a copy of this recording as this is what they are using against me?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Yes, absolutely. It's called a subject access request, and they are legally obliged to provide you a copy. You can ask for copies of all data and correspondence (ie all phone calls), but obviously they could just say they don't have any others. You can make the request by phone or email and they have one month (IIRC) to respond.

Be aware that the FOS will reject any complaint if you've not been right through the full complaints procedure with the insurer, including escalations. Make sure you've jumped through all of those hoops, or they'll reject it. The insurer get charged £500 for every complaint upheld though, so it's not in their interest to have it go that far.

emjaybee

Thanks @njee20, that's what I was after. I searched the interweb,  but without knowing the 'phrase' I was getting nowhere.

I'll get on it this evening.

Thanks again.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30