T gauge class 08 - utter madness

Started by Capri_sam, August 17, 2020, 07:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capri_sam

I thought I'd share this for the sheer insanity of it!

N gauge is my large scale hobby - I'm also a fan of T gauge (1:450 - 3mm track spacing), which has a vibrant if very small (in every sense) community of kitbashers, 3D printers and devotees. My recently dismantled N gauge layout had a T gauge industrial/harbour railway, representing 18" gauge.

Among the ridiculous work of the community is an A3 with smoke generator (and working valve gear, of course), DCC fitting... Someone's even made a working Wickham.

The sole UK manufacturer, tgauge.com, has been working on a class 08 for a couple of years - it was due around now but has been pushed back to October due to Covid. They just shared the pre-production bodyshell images - imprint of shell on lolly sticks for scale - this measures just 3/4", or a shade under 2cm long, with outside frames, and will have etched buffers, handrails and other details, as well as being 6-wheel drive. Oh, and the preorder price was £45 RTR...

Absolute madness.

Photos aren't mine, they belong to Alan Ramsay and were posted to Facebook, but I thought some here might appreciate it! The HST with a pound coin is for further sense of general scale (that's got directional lights, by the way).

chrism

Roughly half of z-scale size? That's dedication, as well as eyeball straining.

N_GaugeModeller

Don't drop one of those on the floor, the carpet monster would eat that with no problems.

Far too small for my eyes

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Capri_sam

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on August 17, 2020, 09:54:03 PM
Don't drop one of those on the floor, the carpet monster would eat that with no problems.

Far too small for my eyes

NGM

Been there! I've literally dropped a locomotive through a crack in my wooden floorboards...

It's a difficult scale to work with for various reasons (fiddly, over-sensitive, terrible trackwork especially the points), but when your 2+7 HST set is less than 50cm long and you can fit 2-3 scale miles of track on a small board, it has its rewards!

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Rather you than me, but impressive nonetheless.  :thumbsup:

There is an excellent T gauge layout by a lady called Becky Stares in the December 2019 RM (the Rod Stewart issue). She has even scratch built local buildings!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Stuart Down Under

So it looks like the ultimately challenge left in T gauge is live steam! I recall that Alan Sherwood got down to 1:240 scale in about 1970. With developments in technology since then maybe 1:450 is possible,  :D

Ditape

t gauge can be fun, here are some pictures of my t gauge layout with home made buildings done by down scaling buildings from other scales.

Diane Tape

Bealman

That's very cool, Di - didn't know you were into this gauge!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

I keep flirting with it, given the diminutive size it's ripe for 3D printing. You could do entire rows of houses in one go. :hmmm:

emjaybee

@Ditape any chance of a pic of the overall track plan?

What size is the layout?

Interesting stuff.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Philip.

I love a challenge and T Gauge looks right up my street. I have an old aluminium camera case that is begging me to do something with it  ;)

gavin_t

Whilst I admire the cracking work and dedication involved I couldn't do it myself as I struggle enough with N gauge with my shovel hands  ;D

Great looking layout though  :D

ntpntpntp

I did flirt around with T gauge when it first came out, but in the end it was just didn't satisfy me in terms of reliability and smoothness of running so it's consigned to a shelf.  Maybe one day I'll investigate if/how the mechs have improved.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

EtchedPixels

It's nice to know people are getting it to work. I did scratch build some T track N scale bits for narrow gauge (and some hand made track!) but it was just too unreliable at the time.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations