Wi-Fi and microwave ovens.

Started by Bikeracer, February 28, 2012, 06:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bikeracer

Probably common knowledge that microwave ovens interfere with Wi-Fi.

I've sometimes had my Wi-Fi connection drop when the microwave switches on or off,usually turning Wi-Fi off and on again reconnects.
I thought it was a problem with my iMac at first.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

OwL

Thanks for sharing Bikeracer :thumbsup:

Next time all of you guys experience logging in troubles to the forum, check your microwave isnt on first! ;)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

zwilnik

It's in the same frequency range (as are cordless phones if you're using 2.4ghz Wi-Fi) but in theory the interference shouldn't be enough to knock your connection out unless it's a really weak wi-fi connection or the microwave's *really* noisy.

If your Wi-Fi connection's set on automatic channel, it may be worth trying a few different fixed channels (Although automatic will normally pick up on the one with the least interference) and if not, try either automatic or changing to another channel.

One other thing to consider (depending on which Wi-Fi hub you're using) is what is your lowest common denominator in terms of Wi-Fi Standards. If your devices all use 801.11g and above then you can set the network to only use g/n connections and it'll be a lot stronger (and faster!). Having to dumb down to cope with ancient 801.11a/b devices will slow it down and reduce the range of the signal. If all your toys are 801.11n then switch on the 5Ghz option and the microwave shouldn't be a problem any more :)

Bikeracer

Hi Simon,

I've no idea what my hub standard is,but it's only about six months old and sits behind my computer so I doubt range is a problem.

I only became aware of all this because I reported the connection dropping to Apple and the last advisor I spoke to told me about microwave interference,gotta love Apple telephone support,always patient and pleasant advisors.
Strangely,it can drop the connection when the microwave switches off rather than on.

Anyway the microwave has been moved about another four feet away,so I'm waiting to see if I still have a problem.I could plug the ethernet cable in,but I like the clutter free desk top with the iMac.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

EtchedPixels

It shouldn't be dropping connection, merely slowing down. Wireless routers have what is best desceribed as "anti-microwave" stuff built into them to handle it. If they are really close all bets may be off though.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

zwilnik

It may simply be an electrical spike across your mains rather than the microwave's radio frequency interference. Waaaay back, a game testing friend of mine reported a bug in a game she was testing that only seemed to occur when she was playing it at home. Eventually it was tracked down to the power spike caused by the compressor in her fridge switching on making her computer glitch.

Generally this should be less of a problem with more modern power supplies (I've sat there while my Mac ran through a few seconds of brownout without blinking) but it may be worth chucking a power filter on its mains supply just in case. (mine's on a UPS that'll keep it running for about an hour in the case of a powercut, 'just in case' now :) )

Kipper

I had trouble connecting to the web, and after about six tries, with all sorts of random warnings coming up, one mentioned having a phone too close to the router. Went and checked, and SWMBO had "tidied" up and put the router right next to the roamer phone base station. Moved the router back to its usual position (about 6 feet away) and normal service was resumed.

Newportnobby

Thanks very much for that pointer, Kipper. I have issues every now and then with my BT hub which is sat about 2" from the cordless phone base so I'll try shifting it.
Mind you, I've had BT engineers round here before now (why do they travel in pairs ???) and they said nothing about it. Probably didn't know ::)

zwilnik

Quote from: newportnobby on February 29, 2012, 06:16:50 PM
Thanks very much for that pointer, Kipper. I have issues every now and then with my BT hub which is sat about 2" from the cordless phone base so I'll try shifting it.
Mind you, I've had BT engineers round here before now (why do they travel in pairs ???) and they said nothing about it. Probably didn't know ::)

It's so they can remember what their names are. When one forgets what his name is, the other one looks at his name badge and tells him.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Zwilnik on February 29, 2012, 06:31:36 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on February 29, 2012, 06:16:50 PM

It's so they can remember what their names are. When one forgets what his name is, the other one looks at his name badge and tells him.

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: I keep doing that with my suits. Most people just know me as Moss Bros ;D

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations