Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Corbie

Two just arrived from Union Mills, I'm a very happy bunny. B12 4-6-0 in LNER green and D11 4-4-0 in black.

Pre-grouping steam / LNER / early BR.

Mattewes

My first ever n gauge rolling stock! My first loco and track have been dispatched but I couldn't resist picking these up second hand from a local model shop. Excuse the pound coin, that was not included with the wagon! Both are Graham Farish 8 plank wagons. Can't wait to post a picture of the Ivatt 2MT when it arrives.

dannyboy

Quote from: Mattewes on January 16, 2020, 11:32:29 PM
My first ever n gauge rolling stock!

That's it - you are hooked. Another few pieces and you will be .......... an addict!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

exmouthcraig

Well this is a but of an unusual thing but all have now safely arrived to me and I now get to gloat to the world about my latest additions to the fleet.

As most of you will know @Dr Al built 3 GEM / Lytchett Manor Z class locos for a forum member. That was ME!!!  :claphappy:

If we roll back to 2008 when Dad had just got back into N gauge we went to TINGS and I purchased a GEM Z kit, some low melt solder and thought I'd give it a whirl. Needless to say it didn't go well, and I ended up breaking the foot plate, it got chucked back in a box and left. As I've said in my layout construction thread 10 years has been spent on research and not much layout building.

Roll on March 2018, @Newportnobby was just about to receive his Dr Al built 4MT, I approached Alan about the possibility of building me 2 Z class locos, this was all within a couple of weeks of GEM closing the doors so at the time I was fortunate enough to of purchased what were the last 2 Z kits on the shelf.

I told Alan about the badly built damaged one I had and he suggested that I send him that with some instructions and he would have a play around.

November 18 rolls on and Alan had now received the attempt at a build and stripped it apart, it turned out I'd even fixed a part upside down!!!! As the skillful builder he is Alan was able to fix this and rebuild it to a pretty decent representation. We talked further and agreed we would now build 3 DCC chipped super detailed locos that would be as good as any factory produced RTR. This man does NOT disappoint!!!!!

It was now November 19, finally I had 3 Chinese built 8F chassis, 3 Zimo 617 chips, a locomotive in detail book and various other bits and pieces to send in a parcel north of the border.

As with most things these were never of any urgency, the layout stumbles on at a pace more glacial then even Southern Trains!!!! Alan read the book in detail and discussed my wants from the build.

Knowing what wonders this man can produce I told him to build them with as much detail as possible AND to view them as his own and what he felt was worthwhile spending time creating to do. These were never going to be budget builds so if Alan viewed it as worthy of his time the detail was added.

The hardest part about this process is seeing your models, being created by nothing short of a genius, shown to the forum on his own workbench page and not let on that they are for you!!!!

Alan keeps you informed on decisions, on expenditure and progress. The communication between us was fantastic and the amount of times I would be told of a 'little bit more' to be greeted with some truly phenomenal detail really does prove this man has talent.

I cannot promote this man's work enough, nor can I speak highly enough of his ability to see details and add them. These locos are less then 90mm long and the detail is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

They will definitely be one of the most used locos on the layout!!!!

So @Dr Al, like I said through the build  :thankyousign: is a phrase not really worthy of your hard work but I really do not know what else to say.

I truly hope they were enjoyable to build and as a customer I would get the opportunity to have you build something else for me at some point??!!

I just hope I can now build a layout worthy of these 3 MASTERPIECES

Paddy

Hi @exmouthcraig and @Dr Al

Wow, those locomotives look amazing.  What a craftsman indeed.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

exmouthcraig

Indeed they are Paddy, check out Alan's workbench page for some truly amazing pictures of the building of these Zs and his stupendous hard work!!!!!

Newportnobby

As mentioned by @exmouthcraig I'm a recipient of Alan's handiwork and can only echo Craig's sentiments. You only have to read Alan's 'Workbench' thread to see the masterpieces he creates.
There are also others on the forum who regularly turn out stunning items of motive power/rolling stock and we are lucky to have them to turn to or just wonder at.

Webbo

Here is my model of a Z class locomotive obtained as a kid which is a Trix Twin OO product manufactured circa 1960. Looks a bit like yours, but is missing a few wheels. Modelling realism has come a fair distance in 60 years!

Craig, I'm not really a modeller of British stuff, but I much like the look of your Zs. Definitely, a fine looking locomotive. I'd have one if I were doing BR. Thanks for your photo and story behind your models.

Webbo

Mattewes

Quote from: dannyboy on January 17, 2020, 11:48:40 AM
Quote from: Mattewes on January 16, 2020, 11:32:29 PM
My first ever n gauge rolling stock!

That's it - you are hooked. Another few pieces and you will be .......... an addict!  :)

how right you are! Ivatt 2MT and a few wagons. I am absolutely gobsmacked by the detail on it, and it runs perfectly too!
The layout still needs some work  ;)

Rockhopper

Farish 37 407. Dapol coupling and snow ploughs added. Just needs some weathering now.

RailGooner

Dapol 2D-010-009 Class 67 027 "Charlotte" in Colas Rail Freight livery new from Colletts Models. Colas is my 2nd favourite livery after Network Rail.

Images © Mark Adedeji, on Flickr

Mattewes

Bit the bullet and added my second loco - a beautiful 57xx pannier from Dapol. Looks and runs fantastic, very happy indeed and a good price from Rails of Sheffield.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mattewes on January 29, 2020, 08:26:23 PM
Bit the bullet and added my second loco - a beautiful 57xx pannier from Dapol. Looks and runs fantastic, very happy indeed

Phew! :sweat: ;D

Mattewes

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 30, 2020, 10:44:05 AM
Quote from: Mattewes on January 29, 2020, 08:26:23 PM
Bit the bullet and added my second loco - a beautiful 57xx pannier from Dapol. Looks and runs fantastic, very happy indeed

Phew! :sweat: ;D

haha, thank you for helping me part with my money!  :D

silly moo

A second hand but mint birthday present. I can't believe how good the new Farish locos are.

:NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations