Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on August 16, 2020, 03:39:21 PM
As Mick says, he is a Luddite, so I don't think the laptop plug will fit into the hole where the clockwork key fits.  ;D

A Luddite I may be but I have progressed to steam powered TV, David :telloff:
I'm still using some of that coal you kindly sent me

Quote from: themadhippy on August 16, 2020, 03:54:28 PM

the shock to his system if the moving pictures on the screen suddenly were in colour instead of the usual black and white might be too much for him.

Eh? Colour? What will they think of next? Maybe some easy way to switch the TV on and off :idea:

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 17, 2020, 09:07:43 AM
Quote from: dannyboy on August 16, 2020, 03:39:21 PM
As Mick says, he is a Luddite, so I don't think the laptop plug will fit into the hole where the clockwork key fits.  ;D

A Luddite I may be but I have progressed to steam powered TV, David :telloff:
I'm still using some of that coal you kindly sent me

My apologies Mick, I should have realised you would be more up to date these days. If you require more supplies of coal, just let me know, I will tie a bag full to the pigeons feet.  :)

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 17, 2020, 09:07:43 AM
Eh? Colour? What will they think of next? Maybe some easy way to switch the TV on and off :idea:

I have heard that it is possible to send a TV signal away from Earth and into space, the signal then apparently hits a metal thingy and the signal then comes back to Earth straight into your house. I mean, c'mon, how does it know where you live?  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: dannyboy on August 17, 2020, 09:17:53 AM
I mean, c'mon, how does it know where you live?  ???

Because you're not wearing your tinfoil hat ::)

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 16, 2020, 02:52:09 PM
I get my phone and broadband from BT so pay them a pittance each month to have BT Sport 1 and 2. Every time they try to put the price up I just tell 'em to take it away and they've relented every time so far. My luck will run out, I'm sure.

Quote from: talisman56 on August 16, 2020, 01:21:56 PM

The BBC treat iPlayer as their +1.

I can't get that on my telly (I'm a Luddite, remember)
I'm happy to watch a short prog on my laptop via the iPlayer but an hour's too long really.

Mick @Newportnobby

In all seriousness if you have a BTVision box, Iplayer is included as is Netflix and a couple of other Apps.

Cheers

Neal.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Calnefoxile on August 17, 2020, 05:09:55 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on August 16, 2020, 02:52:09 PM
I get my phone and broadband from BT so pay them a pittance each month to have BT Sport 1 and 2. Every time they try to put the price up I just tell 'em to take it away and they've relented every time so far. My luck will run out, I'm sure.

Quote from: talisman56 on August 16, 2020, 01:21:56 PM

The BBC treat iPlayer as their +1.

I can't get that on my telly (I'm a Luddite, remember)
I'm happy to watch a short prog on my laptop via the iPlayer but an hour's too long really.

Mick @Newportnobby

In all seriousness if you have a BTVision box, Iplayer is included as is Netflix and a couple of other Apps.

Cheers

Neal.

No BTVision Box, Neal. Just a BT Youview box connected to the internet hub and to my telly via HDMI. All I get is BT Sports 1 & 2. I don't want the rest of the stuff as it's purely so I can watch MotoGP.

Papyrus

Does anyone else have problems with Railmatch paint?

My difficulties start with the screw-cap bottles, which I don't like. It's all too easy to glue them solid with paint. If you manage to avoid this and unscrew the bottle successfully, the seal is inevitably stuck to the rim of the bottle and you have to carve it away with a knife. However, my dischuffedness reached new levels today. I managed to force my way into the bottle only to discover that the whole lot had dried solid, even though the seal had been stuck so completely to the bottle that I couldn't get it off in one piece. How could that happen? I tried a second bottle of a different colour and that was exactly the same. It's not as if the paint is old, either, perhaps a couple of years, and barely used. I have old Humbrol tinlets, maybe 30 years old, and apart from the fact that you have to stir them for hours and hours, the paint is perfectly fine. In future, I think, Railmatch will be paint of last resort.

Dinner had better be good...

Cheers,

Chris

dannyboy

I can not comment on your paint woes Chris, but I do believe that a smear of Vaseline on the screw thread will help the top come off the bottle easily.
David.

themadhippy

QuoteI have old Humbrol tinlets, maybe 30 years old, and apart from the fact that you have to stir them for hours and hours
people are still manually stiring  paint?
https://www.titanshobby.com/tools-titans-hobby-electric-paint-shaker-compatible-with-all-kind-of-pots.2.1.1.gp.1.uw
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

As @Papyrus can not get the tops off of his paint bottles, he would be safe putting them in the washing machine - that would get them well stirred and it is free. (He still would not be able get at the paint though   :hmmm:).
David.

Newportnobby

As far as paint solidifying in the jar, does not ye olde trick of storing them upside down work?

Papyrus

Quote from: dannyboy on August 19, 2020, 06:08:17 PM
I can not comment on your paint woes Chris, but I do believe that a smear of Vaseline on the screw thread will help the top come off the bottle easily.

My initial reaction was "that's a clever idea" but then I thought, what would happen if the Vaseline got into the paint? I would have thought it might mess up one's nice smooth paint job...

Quote from: themadhippy on August 19, 2020, 06:44:50 PM

people are still manually stiring  paint?
https://www.titanshobby.com/tools-titans-hobby-electric-paint-shaker-compatible-with-all-kind-of-pots.2.1.1.gp.1.uw

Dear, dear, dear, electric this, electric that... Let's go back to manual tools and save the planet!  ;D

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 19, 2020, 09:34:32 PM
As far as paint solidifying in the jar, does not ye olde trick of storing them upside down work?

I've done that in the past with tins, but I would imagine it would only cement a screw cap on even solider, wouldn't it? Might be worth a try, I suppose - nothing to lose!

Cheers,

Chris

TrevL

Plus 34quid to stir a tin of paint ??? :smiley-laughing:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Calnefoxile

I totally agree about Railmatch paints, I have a few that have had to be binned because they've gone solid, even adding some thinners hasn't worked. I also have some tins of Humbrol paints that are at least 10 years old and with a good stir and a drop of thinners, are perfectly ok.

Also I have one of these https://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Adhesives-Glue-s-Paint-s/Paint-Brushes/Product-88456.aspx# which I use to stir paints, not quite £34, although Adrian seems to be out of stock of them.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

dannyboy

Quote from: Calnefoxile on August 20, 2020, 05:04:57 PM

Also I have one of these https://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Adhesives-Glue-s-Paint-s/Paint-Brushes/Product-88456.aspx# which I use to stir paints, not quite £34, although Adrian seems to be out of stock of them.  ;) ;) ;)

That looks just like the cheap milk frothers.  As regards the Vaseline tip, I only meant a thin smear on the threads.
David.

emjaybee

I always wipe round the 'touching' points of lid and tin with a rag/tissue before replacing the lid. It significantly reduced 'stickage'.

As for drying out, I can't help with that.

Lastly, mechanical stirrer for modelling paint? That's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, isn't it?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77