Kits and modelling fears?

Started by red_death, March 12, 2013, 10:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJKERR

Quote from: captainelectra on March 14, 2013, 08:30:34 AMThe whole idea behind my Electra conversions is to enable anyone to produce their own model, regardless of skill
Even some basic level of skill is required
I therefore tested this technique on two types of Farish coaches
I found the older Poole type was really easy, the newer China was a nightmare (so much so I threw the coach away)
I have never been happy with the finish when painting small areas / fine detail
However, this too I have refined (now using a permanent black marker instead of paint as suggested)
Even applying the vinyls themselves takes patience (one final skill)

I am currently applying DBSO vinyls to Mark 2 coaches, and these are probably the most challenging as some modification is required to complete these (as I learned from the first one that I completed)

I have also heard that some people can't do vinyls as they don't have the dexterity to do this, and having seen their results I have to agree...

Fratton

Like anything its all practice, i had touched a brass kit 2 years ago, and the only thing i'd used a soldering iron was to make balls of solder at school!

now i make these without any second thought

and soldering even micro jobs like this don't seem terrifying

2 years ago i was afraid to even use vinals now i've made an entire unit with water slide transfers

i had never used an airbrush before Christmas just gone and now i'm custom painting stock

Obviously there are folks out there who (and please for give me for terming it this way) are getting old or suffer diminished dexterity be it an ailment or RSI (i myself have diminished movement in my left thumb after being stabbed in the hand)  it doesn't have to be relevant or even N Gauge and you dont have to start with stock, just dip your toe and build up speed until your fears suddenly are gone,,,

and remember theres always someone on  :NGaugeForum: that can walk you through it,

Charlie.

scotsoft

Well said Charlie and I hope your post will give others the extra bit of confidence to give some of these a try  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

H

Quote from: Fratton on March 14, 2013, 12:41:50 PM

Like anything its all practice, i had touched a brass kit 2 years ago, and the only thing i'd used a soldering iron was to make balls of solder at school!

now i make these without any second thought

and soldering even micro jobs like this don't seem terrifying

2 years ago i was afraid to even use vinals now i've made an entire unit with water slide transfers

i had never used an airbrush before Christmas just gone and now i'm custom painting stock

Obviously there are folks out there who (and please for give me for terming it this way) are getting old or suffer diminished dexterity be it an ailment or RSI (i myself have diminished movement in my left thumb after being stabbed in the hand)  it doesn't have to be relevant or even N Gauge and you dont have to start with stock, just dip your toe and build up speed until your fears suddenly are gone,,,

and remember theres always someone on  :NGaugeForum: that can walk you through it,

Looks like you've done very well, very quickly. Well done. It's a great example.

It is a matter of practice to improve but often the problem for many is geting started - or rather the fear of it.

Once that is overcome the sky is the limit. And yep, even some disabilities don't need to be a drawback. I've got both osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid- arthritis (a particularly nasty type that attacks the small joints and makes gripping things difficult and painful) but tools and equipment help massively. Also recently with things wrong with my eyes (myopia, ocular hyper-tension and astigmatism and potential for diabetic retinopathy and onset glaucoma) the small scale is still not a problem and there's no need to trade up to O gauge.

It's a matter of taking the first steps. If other can and have, I'm sure all forum members have the ability to do the same and become great modellers.

H.

darren.c

i enjoy building kits omwb at the moment is a rake of benard's PTA /JUA open boxs wagons .what have found is that models i require for my layout i either have to scratch build or buy farish  and dapol rtr items as the choice for what i want is very limited more so with the demise of Ian's great range of kits. also i would love to have a go at 3D printing but my skills in this area are very limited to none at all .
daz

H

Quote from: mjkerr on March 14, 2013, 08:40:43 AM

I have also heard that some people can't do vinyls as they don't have the dexterity to do this, and having seen their results I have to agree...

Hmmm, I've also heard that, but I'm not so sure that it is due to a lack of dexterity, perhaps more an excuse. If you can shave yourself in the morning, do up and undo fly buttons, and use a knife and fork to eat meals, then you've got sufficent dexterity. It's then just a matter of technique, and that comes with practice and patience.

H. 

H

Quote from: darren.c on March 14, 2013, 01:54:04 PM

i enjoy building kits omwb at the moment is a rake of benard's PTA /JUA open boxs wagons .

Those TPM PTA/JUAs are great kits.

I've got another five half built OMWB.

H.

Matthew-peter

I love kit building, not done much scratchbuilding railway wise but military modelling I have done a bit. It does take time to learn and practise but once you get there you wont regret the satisfaction looking at your own work and thinking that you did it and achieved the result you have.

OK who took my cake?

scotsoft

I also wonder if cost comes into play, after all we all have to work to a budget, some more than others, so even a few pounds spent on a kit then having to build it, knowing it could end up in the bin, may well put some people off trying.

cheers John.

red_death

Charlie - some fantastic work there!

The dexterity / small size of details etc point is something else that regularly crops up, particularly when people say N is too small for them.  For me it isn't really a correct point as the physical size of the smallest piece will be the same regardless of the scale it is just that you are adding more details in O that would be impossible in N.

Quote from: darren.c on March 14, 2013, 01:54:04 PM
also i would love to have a go at 3D printing but my skills in this area are very limited to none at all .

Daz - there is a fair few of us doing 3D design on here and there are some good hints and tips on some of the older posts.  DEMU will be producing a fact sheet (hopefully by Ally Pally ie next 10 days) on getting started with 3D printing, plus our mag 'Update' has had a couple of articles in recently about 3D printing.  The crucial thing is to find a software package that you get on with ie if you are used to Autocad then stick with Autocad's 3D capabilities, if you've never done any CAD then you might find Sketchup or Blender a better starting point. If you like writing code (take a bow Mr Etched Pixels!) try OpenSCAD.

Cheers, Mike

H

Quote from: scotsoft on March 14, 2013, 03:18:10 PM

I also wonder if cost comes into play, after all we all have to work to a budget, some more than others, so even a few pounds spent on a kit then having to build it, knowing it could end up in the bin, may well put some people off trying.

Although we all need to watch the pennies there are a few points on that that shoud help stop putting people off.

1) When it comes to practicing painting there is no need to throw away a model if the result is not acceptable - simply strip the paint and start again. And practice on cheap, old or even free ones.  Plus of course they can be re-used for no further extra cost.

2) Don't start with practicing assembling expensive kits - try cheap or even free ones; for example you can download free samples of Scalescenes kits.

3) It is possible to save in kits by looking around. I gave a few examples earlier -

buy a selelction of old, worn and damaged wagons from the rummage boxes that many second-hand traders have at exhibitions. Then put the undamaged bodies on undamagesd chassis, add details, change the wheels for decent ones, strip off the old paint and re-paint. Plenty of practice and fun to be had. Also the NGS wagon kits are cheaper to buy in bulk at say ten at a time. And the manufacturers often sell off end of line or damaged stock at knock down prices - for example Dapol do NQP stuff very cheaply and are now doing unpainted wagons

- and no doubt other ideas and suggestions can be made.

4) Don't look at the cost of a kit (that isn't built well and can't be dissassembled and remade) as a waste. Time would have been invested in it and, therefore, it will have had some value in the practice and enjoyment that will have been derived from it. All hobbies cost money and/or time but the cost of practice is an investment worth making.

5) Finally, read this book -  http://www.transportstore.com/images/content/books/large/2097/P3280808.jpg
and to save money borrow it from a library.

H.

Newportnobby

Quote from: H on March 14, 2013, 02:01:13 PM
If you can do up and undo fly buttons, and use a knife and fork to eat meals, then you've got sufficent dexterity.

H.

Do people really do this :o
I use zips and am not allowed sharp implements so a spoon has to suffice :-[ :D

H

Quote from: newportnobby on March 14, 2013, 03:57:09 PM

Do people really do this :o
I use zips and am not allowed sharp implements so a spoon has to suffice :-[ :D

Obviously it sounds like you have a carer who shovels food in your mouth and wipes your b*m, so you could ask them to build your kits  :D

H.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: red_death on March 12, 2013, 10:48:06 AM
What I really want to know is how can we all help and encourage you to take the next step in modelling?

Hi

I have no issues with building, painting, transfers, etc but I do have a problem with weathering as I am colour blind. Any ideas how to get around that?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Fratton

Quote from: H on March 14, 2013, 03:38:41 PM

1) When it comes to practicing painting there is no need to throw away a model if the result is not acceptable - simply strip the paint and start again. And practice on cheap, old or even free ones.  Plus of course they can be re-used for no further extra cost.

i do this with plane models i get for Christmas/birthday (i had a tornado with a cantrail on a wing the other day) and my current project has been stripped back twice now as i was unhappy,,,,,,
Charlie.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations