Factory Whistle

Started by zwilnik, March 11, 2013, 10:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

One of the various buildings I got in a huge bargain bundle of stuff I won off fleabay last year was this US style factory, with a built in loco whistle effect. Essentially it's a motor powered fan, blowing through a 2 tone whistle. Unfortunately the motor wasn't working and the wires were all a bit perished, so I put it to one side for later messing with.

So while waiting for some glue to dry tonight I took a better look at the motor and found both brushes on the motor were worn down and it looks like it used to have springs holding them against the spindle. So sacrificing one of the scrap trucks from the same lot, I borrowed its coupling springs and recycled them as brush springs. A bit of soldering and hey presto..

[smg id=3984 type=av]

Now going to see if I can block one side of the whistle to make it more British sounding and do a few cosmetic tweaks to make it look more suitable for my UK based layout.

longbridge

Its made by Bachmann.  an Oil Storage Tank with a diesel horn inside is also available.

Could be a matter of adjusting a couple of slugs  to get a British sound so good luck with the conversion  :thumbsup: let us know how it works out.

Cant imagine trying to make an American horn sound like a British one  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: I think the oil tank horn would have a limited life the way American engineers go mental blowing them  :D :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

zwilnik

A bit of gaffa tape over one of the whistle holes worked :) The motor's still a bit noisy, but as long as I park a lorry in one of the loading bays it just sounds like one revving its engine ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations