Doing a sealed beam peak and other mountainous

Started by B757-236GT, March 05, 2013, 10:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B757-236GT

I fancy like doing a sealed marker light peak in N. Thats the one with the two small round headlights occasionally with a high intensity light between them. I was thinking of just filling the exsisting headcode panel with that still in place to provide a backing for the filler to adhere too, would this work or would it not provide enough depth to get the filler in? Also im not sure if anyone does the sealed beam marker lights which i suppose actually should be the first question to ask.

Also im mainly thinking the 45 and 46 were different but apart from the front end headcodes, which varied within the class, were there any other external differences. Things like this normally scream at me but i really cant see it which means it must be glaringinly obvious or there is no difference at all?

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

dr deltic

Quote from: B757-236GT on March 05, 2013, 10:13:56 PM
I fancy like doing a sealed marker light peak in N. Thats the one with the two small round headlights occasionally with a high intensity light between them. I was thinking of just filling the exsisting headcode panel with that still in place to provide a backing for the filler to adhere too, would this work or would it not provide enough depth to get the filler in? Also im not sure if anyone does the sealed beam marker lights which i suppose actually should be the first question to ask.

Also im mainly thinking the 45 and 46 were different but apart from the front end headcodes, which varied within the class, were there any other external differences. Things like this normally scream at me but i really cant see it which means it must be glaringinly obvious or there is no difference at all?

Richard
Usual rules apply, get a photo of both ends of your chosen loco you want to model first as no guarantee all details will be the same.
Not a big problem with peaks but a nightmare on 47's!

I took out the head code panel, blocked from inside with a piece of plasticard and then filled to flush with filler.
Sand flat and then add the etched marker lights found on the TPM Class 47 detailing kit or drill holes to accept 1.5mm fibre optic that you can melt first on a light bulb to form a lens like that found on the Mercig conversions.

This is a nice easy conversion and will try and post pictures of my 45128 which was a conversion and respray of the Farish 45114, this will still require same process for centre head code removal first.

I am just gearing up to do a split box 45 now using Etched pixels components having finished two class 25/0 conversions using etch supplied by same chap, a member on here.

Have a go, it's a good starter conversion if you have not done anything like it before. :thumbsup:

dr deltic

Ratio do the Headlight to go between the marker lights.

scruff

I think the 46's had a grille under the long bodyside grille that most/all?? 45's didn't have or was plated.
It is always a good idea to work from a photo..
class 46
http://www.margam-depot.co.uk/images/class44-45-46/46013-swindonworks-060681.jpg
class 45
http://www.margam-depot.co.uk/images/class44-45-46/45012-tinsleydepot-120388.jpg

Cheers
Mark

EtchedPixels

fuel tank is also different - although only slightly.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

B757-236GT

Hmm, i thought id wait to see if one might have been announced but looks like not. In that case then it looks like i will need to find a cheap 45114 and do some end work on it. Saying that i could also use a 46 too. Maybe a future workbench thread!
Thanks
Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

That's some good information scruff. However, there were about a dozen or so class 45's that did have that grill. I can't remember which ones right now but I'll see if I can find out.

Also, class 45's had an X on each battery box door whereas the 46's had plain flat steel doors. This can be seen in the pictures, the battery boxes are between the bogies.

B757-236GT

Looks like i will have to find a 45114 then. I believe this is correct ( i dont think it has a boiler port on this one) and just fill the ends. Im not bothered about working lights so it makes it even more straight forward.
Thanks
Richard

The class 45's that had the lower grill like the 46's are as follows

45008, 019, 022, 026, 041, 056, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 112, 114, 121, 122, 134 and 141.

Adding the little x's to the battery box should be fairly easy using some small plastic parts or  something if you're worried about that detail.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations