Troubling events in cyberspace

Started by Papyrus, July 15, 2018, 02:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

I'd rather just have adverts for things I want to see!

The Q

The company I work for has the same problem on it's network. Now normally it's company products but occasionally other things get through. A week or two a go it was under wear... definately not M+S, more like Anne Summers, complete with the model wearing the tiny bits of lace..

njee20

Yes I see huge numbers of adverts for the company I work for (and have never used as a customer) on all my devices, makes me chuckle.

mickster04

More to the point you should all be using ad blockers. I use adblock Plus, but that now allows companies to pay money to abp to allow their ads through. So consider ublock origin.

njee20

Forums rely on advertising for money, a lot are funny about members promoting services which will detract from their advertising revenue, not unreasonably. I suspect this may be one...

mickster04

You can always allow specific domains thru

njee20

I fear you're missing the point.

Papyrus

Quote from: PLD on July 16, 2018, 12:07:29 AM
Quote from: mickster04 on July 15, 2018, 11:33:58 PM
It helps if you use incognito mode, or private browsing from your browser. I'm not saying it'll fix the problem but it helps. Facebook also use your browser history to help target adds.
The advice from one security advisor was use a DIFFERENT browser for Facebook (and a couple of other 'Social Media' type sites) to your regular browsing, and use that browser for nothing else...

e.g. if your preferred browser for regular surfing is Firefox, use CHROME for Facebook etc. they haven't (yet) developed a method of reading stored cookies, history, searches etc across browsers.

This was partly what prompted my initial query - my searches were via Google, but my wife uses her android phone for Face-ache, which presumably should be completely separate.

Thanks for all the varied replies. Interesting to know that this is fairly widespread.

Cheers,

Chris

GroupC

Happens all the time to me, and even though I use an adblocker which stops the ads, websites seem to know what I "want" after I've browsed for and often bought an item. I'm not on F/b or twitter etc (is there a past tense of twitter? Is is tw*tter?).

Doesn't bother me too much, the joke's on them in my view though: if I've just bought for example a toaster I'll be offered lots of toasters. As if I'd want another one, and another one and another one etc. Whatever software they use isn't intelligent to know that I've just bought one and don't therefore need another. If it's that dim to figure out basics like that I'm not too worried about it. So all that software's often a waste of their time and money.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations