"Insecure Connection" (SOLVED, I think?)

Started by petercharlesfagg, July 19, 2015, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 20, 2015, 08:22:47 AM
After using the "System Restore" the PC opened up with the date of 21 May 2007!

I tried changing the clock and date.  This time it worked. 
So, like I said in reply #2

!

Glad it is sorted now.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 19, 2015, 04:20:10 PM
This may be a bit of a long shot but easy check :
Look at your computer clock (bottom right in Firefox) is it showing correct time and date ?

If it has been reset to something early then there will be security certificate errors, like above.

As you said a security error but I had no idea how to find the thing I was looking for and besides I wasn't sure I knew!!!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

keithfre

I get something similar if the computer clock is wrong (because the CMOS battery is dead and doesn't keep the time updated). I use a utility called Karen's Time Sync to synchronize the computer clock on startup and regularly thereafter.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 20, 2015, 04:13:57 PM
Look at your computer clock (bottom right in Firefox) is it showing correct time and date ?

If it has been reset to something early then there will be security certificate errors, like above.

As you said a security error but I had no idea how to find the thing I was looking for and besides I wasn't sure I knew!!!

Peter.

Oh crumbs ! I'm sorry, I see that I put too much info in my post :) ! and confused things !! and I should have said bottom right 'of' your Firefox not 'in' your Firefox :(

So to re-cap, if it happens again :--

1) Look at the clock
2) If it is wrong put it right
3) shut down and re-start
4) Look at the clock again, if it is now (still) right your problem will be solved

But maybe --
2a ) If you dont know how to put it right, ask us for more.

4a) If it has gone wrong again, , , cry !
4b) Ask us for help again - which will involve instructions on how to change a battery in the computer.

Would some pictures on how to re-set (adjust) your clock help ?

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 20, 2015, 06:45:33 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 20, 2015, 04:13:57 PM

Peter.

Oh crumbs ! I'm sorry, I see that I put too much info in my post :) ! and confused things !! and I should have said bottom right 'of' your Firefox not 'in' your Firefox :(

So to re-cap, of it happens again :--

1) Look at the clock
2) If it is wrong put it right
3) shut down and re-start
4) Look at the clock again, if it is now (still) right your problem will be solved

But maybe --
2a ) If you dont know how to put it right, ask us for more.

4a) If it has gone wrong again, , , cry !
4b) Ask us for help again - which will involve instructions on how to change a battery in the computer.

Would some pictures on how to re-set (adjust) your clock help ?

Thank you, I appreciate the humour too!

As for the battery, I know how to change the battery, I even have one on the PC desk, I just don't dare since the PC does not belong to me!

The clock, is, at the moment, resetting itself so I'll not worry unduly.  I have messaged my stepson as to what he would like me to do?

Thank you for all your help and assistance, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 20, 2015, 06:50:30 PM
As for the battery, I know how to change the battery,
Oh good, so when mine goes wrong I'll be along to see you lol! Cos it makes me nervous as well, so we can hold hands together :)

The clock, is, at the moment, resetting itself so I'll not worry unduly.
Good good, that just about confirms that it was the power glitch wot  done it and that no lasting damage was done to the hardware. It just left the poor wee thing (the bios) in a confused state of memory.
Much like me at times ;)

Ok, all's well, I'll leave you in peace.

Malc

Peter, if the CMOS battery is dead, you will lose all the BIOS settings, so the computer might not remember it has any discs or CD Roms.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on July 20, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
If the power cuts keep happening, try fitting a UPS to your PC mains feed. These supply power from international batteries and a small one would give you enough time to shut down your PC safely.

Malcolm, a link to a cheap small item would be appreciated, from what I have seen on the 'net, they are very expensive over £100!

Peter.

MikeDunn

And the cost of a new laptop, not to mention all the aggravation of setting it up, adding apps, data etc is ... ?

£100 is small change when you consider the alternatives ...  Appreciate you're on a budget but sometimes you have to just grin & pay out.

[edit]
Just to be 'not awkward' a quick Google showed this site : http://www.comms-express.com/categories/ups-solutions/?finder=ups&params= - from £43

Malc

Bearing in mind that the UPS would need to supply your PC and monitor, and your PC might have a 500w power supply, so I would look for one rated at 750VA as a minimum. That gives a bit of head room on starting up.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations