"Insecure Connection" (SOLVED, I think?)

Started by petercharlesfagg, July 19, 2015, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Every time I try to access my emails I get the above message and the browser seizes solid!

My OS is Windows 7, using latest Firefox browser, any ideas?

Please DO NOT send me an email I CANNOT read them!

Peter.

PS, I am getting the impression that anything connected with Google is up the creek?  I have tried most of my most selected favourites and this is the only one that works or connects!
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Dorsetmike

Which email software do you use, Microsloths Outlook with hotmail, gmail, or yahoomail  or something better, I use Thunderbird (from Mozilla, same source as Firefox), Thunderbird is free, my ISP is ntlworld, part of Virgin media, that I pay for as part of my phone and broadband package (90.16Mbps download, 6.11Mbps)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

This may be a bit of a long shot but easy check :
Look at your computer clock (bottom right in Firefox) is it showing correct time and date ?

If it has been reset to something early then there will be security certificate errors, like above.

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang,

Sounds like technology is not for you Peter.
I suggest that you throw your computer in the bin, take out a subscription to Railway Modeller by snail mail, and move your bank account to Bank of Mattress. Unscrew all those modern fangled light bulbs and regress from modern life at the earliest opportunity. While you are at it, make sure to wear a dressing gown all day, especially when answering the front door to children, so that they are suitably scared.

That should square you away for a while...if you need some more advice, please don't hesitate to send a pigeon!!!

Later,
Stu from EGDL!!!
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

MJKERR

You need to modify the Security Setting to Allow Mixed Content
You currently have this set to Deny, so as soon as it is encountered the sessions ends
This is normally caused by a third party advert which is not using a secure certificate

Malc

Without being cheeky, but knowing Peter, you need to be a bit more specific on how to do this. @mjkerr
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 19, 2015, 04:07:00 PM
Friends,

Every time I try to access my emails I get the above message and the browser seizes solid!

My OS is Windows 7, using latest Firefox browser, any ideas?

Please DO NOT send me an email I CANNOT read them!

Peter.

PS, I am getting the impression that anything connected with Google is up the creek?  I have tried most of my most selected favourites and this is the only one that works or connects!
Peter, You probably still have Internet Explorer installed so see if that works. If it does then it will get you out of trouble for now and help narrow down the problem.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

I'm sitting in a dressing gown right now 'cos it's freezing in our house this morning, and I just answered the door in it. Scared the courier guy anorll.  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

weave

Probably peed off with StufromEDGL, I would be, bit harsh and no smilies. Just a thought.

weave

Sorry,

didn't intend to get you involved. Just meant the bit about gone ominously quiet. Have edited.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Northman

@ Stu from EGDL - what a nasty reply you gave Peter and completely useless to boot.

This is a hobby site where friends get together to share and sometimes help each other - why are you here?

Not everyone can be as clever with modern technology as you obviously consider yourself to be.

Peter had clearly being using the computer okay and for some reason the emails suddenly stopped working - hardly the fault of the user.

For what its worth I have also encountered trouble with Google like another respondent and had to restore my setup to a previous version to get rid of Google Chrome which glued it all up.

I am still in IE 10 having learnt by experience that installing updated Microsoft browsers is a bad idea as many of the websites I visit in the course of work are usually not ready for a new version.

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

My sincere thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

As things stand at this moment in time:-

I could use IE to navigate ONLY to the forum, everywhere else was closed and I received the message "Insecure Connection".

I am not completely ignorant of computer issues, only those that I do not understand or am seeing for the first time!

In this instance, since I did not know how to even navigate to the security section I left it alone, instead I decided to use "System Restore" which had always worked in the past but this time!!!!

After using the "System Restore" the PC opened up with the date of 21 May 2007!

I left it to consider my options overnight!
..............................................................................................."...................................................................

Booting up this morning the date was the same but I decided to use the inbuilt help pages and after an hour or so of vainly going from one page of gobbledegook to another I got the impression that Windows 7 could undo a restore session.  Since nothing was working I undid the restore, no change but...........

I tried changing the clock and date.  This time it worked.  Rebooting the PC asked me to check for updates which I did and it completed the operation, it then asked me about resetting defaults on my internet connection, to which I replied YES.

The PC went completely blank and I thought I'd b******* it completely!

Suddenly the PC brought up the logon page, I selected IE and it worked, I then selected Google.uk and it worked too!

Then using the administrator password, my stepson allowed me to have it because I am more savvy than my wife,  I downloaded Firefox again and I am now using it to write this message!

I can only hope that it continues to operate correctly!

Peter.

PS. the problems were caused because we had (2) power cuts within an hour which killed the other PC on XP Pro last time!
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 20, 2015, 08:22:47 AM
Friends,

My sincere thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

As things stand at this moment in time:-

I could use IE to navigate ONLY to the forum, everywhere else was closed and I received the message "Insecure Connection".

I am not completely ignorant of computer issues, only those that I do not understand or am seeing for the first time!

In this instance, since I did not know how to even navigate to the security section I left it alone, instead I decided to use "System Restore" which had always worked in the past but this time!!!!

After using the "System Restore" the PC opened up with the date of 21 May 2007!

I left it to consider my options overnight!
..............................................................................................."...................................................................

Booting up this morning the date was the same but I decided to use the inbuilt help pages and after an hour or so of vainly going from one page of gobbledegook to another I got the impression that Windows 7 could undo a restore session.  Since nothing was working I undid the restore, no change but...........

I tried changing the clock and date.  This time it worked.  Rebooting the PC asked me to check for updates which I did and it completed the operation, it then asked me about resetting defaults on my internet connection, to which I replied YES.

The PC went completely blank and I thought I'd b******* it completely!

Suddenly the PC brought up the logon page, I selected IE and it worked, I then selected Google.uk and it worked too!

Then using the administrator password, my stepson allowed me to have it because I am more savvy than my wife,  I downloaded Firefox again and I am now using it to write this message!

I can only hope that it continues to operate correctly!

Peter.

PS. the problems were caused because we had (2) power cuts within an hour which killed the other PC on XP Pro last time!
Brilliant Peter - fingers crossed it stays fixed.
:claphappy:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

keerout

Ah, the sweet smell of success!  :thumbsup:
Gerard

Malc

If the power cuts keep happening, try fitting a UPS to your PC mains feed. These supply power from international batteries and a small one would give you enough time to shut down your PC safely.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations