Unusual request not a PC problem but...................

Started by petercharlesfagg, April 26, 2015, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

How times change, we used to have two ye olde computer shoppe within a few minutes by horse&cart, would have been easy to source ! Even the local tip would have done the biz, but they get funny about that sort of thing now, I (we) could try at the local recycling (tip) but I have my doubts :(

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on April 28, 2015, 10:42:08 AM
I have 2 plates Peter. 1 is a half sized plate, about 2 and 1/2 inches long, with a USB cut out as well as the D15. The other is full sized with a D and 2 USB cut outs. Any use?

Malcolm if the plates come within the measurement parameters of the mounting space then I feel sure that they will work!  (about 22 mm long by 10 mm wide that is the hole for the connection, the holes for the mounting screws will increase that distance)

If you feel that they will do please flatten the right angled section on the end, then they will fit inside an envelope rather than a jiffy bag?

I look forward to hearing more!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

MalcolmInN

To make sure we are on the same hymn sheet,
this is the bit needed ? on the right :

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: MalcolmAL on April 28, 2015, 11:24:38 AM
To make sure we are on the same hymn sheet,
this is the bit needed ? on the right :

Spot-on Malcolm, just the metal bit!

Same advice to you too, if you flatten or even cut off the right angled end it will slip into an envelop better, it is not needed anyway!

Warmest regards, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

Malc

Wish I'd read the bit about flattening the end before I posted them.  :'(

I didn't know if you wanted the screw pillars for attaching the plugs, so I taped them to the metalwork.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on April 28, 2015, 11:29:39 AMSame advice to you too, if you flatten
What a good idea, in the nick of time too :)
Surprisingly stout bit of metal ! I was expecting a thin bit of tin !!
Bet they dont make them like that any more, hmmmm, they prob dont make them any more :)

On its way.
have fun.

Malc

D15s were used if I remember correctly, were for analogue joysticks, which were usually driven by the sound cards of the day. Nowadays, USB is the norm.

MalcolmInN

Yep, think you are right, the other bit has three min. jack sockets on it, one was 'mic' the other two are - ummm ,, err , now where did I put that bit of metal  :laugh: :D :bounce:

petercharlesfagg

(UPDATE)

Friends, our mutual friend Malc sent me a couple of DB25 Expansion Slot covers which I have butchered and have used them as templates for cutting the holes in my enclosure.

[smg id=24530 type=preview align=center caption="SAM 4383a"]

These (2) connectors give me (30) connections that I will feed into multicore cables which will exit at the base of the box.

[smg id=24531 type=preview align=center caption="SAM 4388a"]

The box beside my ribbon cables has a VGA connector that although it has (15) connections only (10) are available.  I may change it at a later date to another of the other (15) connectors.

[smg id=24532 type=preview align=center caption="SAM 4387a"]

The Blue cable end is connected to the VGA head by a Right angled piece which in turn is in a standard pre-cut plate on a standard pattress box.

Tomorrow I will be tackling the removal of more plastic and painting the butchered slot covers then fitting them and the connectors.

Peter.

austinbob

You're making rapid progress on this Peter.. You're putting my feeble efforts to get track laid to shame.
:hmmm:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

Starting to come together, Peter. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Bealman

That's a very professional-looking job, Peter. Triple  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

rhysapthomas

Hi do you need any more I thought I did not have any but clearing out a box I found two old sound cards with 15 way holes if you still need any

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: rhysapthomas on May 01, 2015, 03:28:44 PM
Hi do you need any more I thought I did not have any but clearing out a box I found two old sound cards with 15 way holes if you still need any

Thank you, not at this moment in time, but I really appreciate the thought.

Warmest regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: rhysapthomas on May 01, 2015, 03:28:44 PM

Things have changed and I have sent a PM to you?

Regards, Peter.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations