Unusual request not a PC problem but...................

Started by petercharlesfagg, April 26, 2015, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Not sure where I should post this, so plumped for computers help!

Do any of you have such a thing as the blanking plate that is sometimes on the back of a PC server that can be removed OR utilised if an extension to USB connections are required?

I need to obtain (4) of the plates that are already cut out to accept "D" plugs or brackets.  They are commonly referred to as Expansion slot covers as this example from RS Components.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-sub-connector-accessories/2879599/

I need them for 15 way connectors that I am building into my control console so the length of the hole would be just over 21.50 mm x 9.50 mm wide?

I could buy them from RS but when postage and VAT are added they become prohibitive!

Possibly there is/are computer recyclers near you?

Any assistance would be appreciated, Peter.

PS. I forgot to add that the cut outs I need would accommodate a "D" connection of 2 rows of a total of 15 pins, NOT 3 rows because 3 would fit a VGA connection.  The hole would be about 22 mm long by 10 mm wide, if that helps?

Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Malc

I might have one, possibly two plates, but not sure they would be 15 way D. I'll have a squint for you.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Railwaygun

try local PC dealers - they may have scrap machines ( or look in their dustbins!)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

railsquid

MalcolmInN

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on April 26, 2015, 04:25:26 PM
Friends,

Not sure where I should post this, so plumped for computers help!

Do any of you have such a thing as the blanking plate that is sometimes on the back of a PC server that can be removed OR utilised if an extension to USB connections are required?

I need to obtain (4) of the plates that are already cut out to accept "D" plugs or brackets.  They are commonly referred to as Expansion slot covers as this example from RS Components.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-sub-connector-accessories/2879599/

I need them for 15 way connectors that I am building into my control console so the length of the hole would be just over 21.50 mm x 9.50 mm wide?

I could buy them from RS but when postage and VAT are added they become prohibitive!

Possibly there is/are computer recyclers near you?

Any assistance would be appreciated, Peter.

PS. I forgot to add that the cut outs I need would accommodate a "D" connection of 2 rows of a total of 15 pins, NOT 3 rows because 3 would fit a VGA connection.  The hole would be about 22 mm long by 10 mm wide, if that helps?
Hi Peter,
not sure exactly what you need but this redundant computal woz about to be retired to the attic,
if you see owt here that you need then it is yours
(there may be more up there in the attic)

MJKERR

Looks like you are after a DB15 slot cover

Pack of 5 from RS Sales comes to £8.96

Most stores sell the plain blanking PC expansion slot covers, between £4 and £10

My local supplier has DB15 slot cover, costs about £1.50 each
So add the postage on for 5 and you are still around £10

If you have the necessary tools, there is a small saving
Personally, for the sake of £10 I would purchase the ones that meet the requirements with no need to take up time modifying them

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: MalcolmAL on April 28, 2015, 01:04:05 AM
Hi Peter,
not sure exactly what you need but this redundant computal woz about to be retired to the attic,
if you see owt here that you need then it is yours
(there may be more up there in the attic)

Brilliant!

If we look at them from Left to Right then the Fourth plate with the longer "D" connection at the top (it has 15 connector holes), THAT would be the one!

The smaller holes are not needed but the top one would be a good pattern to make more if I cannot get 3 more plates!

Regards Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: mjkerr on April 28, 2015, 08:22:56 AM
Looks like you are after a DB25 slot cover

Pack of 5 from RS Sales comes to £8.96

Most stores sell the plain blanking PC expansion slot covers, between £4 and £10

My local supplier has DB25 slot cover, costs about £1.50 each
So add the postage on for 5 and you are still around £10

If you have the necessary tools, there is a small saving
Personally, for the sake of £10 I would purchase the ones that meet the requirements with no need to take up time modifying them

Thankyou,

The RS Components plates do state that they are for 15 way connections, what it doesn't say is whether that is for 15 way VGA which is 3 rows or 15 way 2 rows which is what I need.

I telephoned RS Components helpline to enquire and was told that since I am not a credit account holder the information cannot be researched or given! 

So I could be spending money on something that is completely useless!  Only £8.96, yes, but it is yet another thing that cuts into my budget!

I CAN purchase the blanking plates in Banbury but I would then have to attempt to cut them to fit and earlier attempts have proved to be far more difficult than I imagined, therefore the request for old precut items.

Thankyou for a part number which will prove helpful in searching further.

Regards, Peter.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: mjkerr on April 28, 2015, 08:22:56 AMfor the sake of £10 I would purchase the ones 
But not nearly as much fun as rummaging in one's attic :) !

Peter you have just made an old computer very happy - it feels still wanted lol!
Consider it yours. Do you want the 15way plug (or is it a socket) as well ?

Sadly one other computer up there is totally the wrong format :-

and of the third that I thought was up there there is no sign, very strange, when swmbo returns I will question her ! ( actually, you are about to make an old girl very happy as well, she has been on to me about clearing the things out, only reason they are still here is cos I have not got round to removing the drives, wow, this one is a huge 100Mb, however did we manage ?! :) )

Malc

The problem with those back plates illustrated above is that they have attached circuit boards. I will get out of my chair and take a look for you Peter. Unfortunately 15way D connectors were not very common. 25 and 9 were used for RS232 and printers.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: MalcolmAL on April 28, 2015, 10:04:10 AM
Quote from: mjkerr on April 28, 2015, 08:22:56 AMfor the sake of £10 I would purchase the ones 
But not nearly as much fun as rummaging in one's attic :) !

Peter you have just made an old computer very happy - it feels still wanted lol!
Consider it yours. Do you want the 15way plug (or is it a socket) as well ?

Sadly one other computer up there is totally the wrong format :-

and of the third that I thought was up there there is no sign, very strange, when swmbo returns I will question her ! ( actually, you are about to make an old girl very happy as well, she has been on to me about clearing the things out, only reason they are still here is cos I have not got round to removing the drives, wow, this one is a huge 100Mb, however did we manage ?! :) )

If the plate has a connector (On the Right) with 15 pin holes, it might be useful.

I do not need all the gubbins on the inside since I will butcher the plate to make a mounting bracket.

Thankyou very much!

Warmest regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on April 28, 2015, 10:25:33 AM
The problem with those back plates illustrated above is that they have attached circuit boards. I will get out of my chair and take a look for you Peter. Unfortunately 15way D connectors were not very common. 25 and 9 were used for RS232 and printers.

Malcolm, I have rapidly understood the difficulty in finding these items but it seems strange when the other pieces are readily available!

I am going to mount these:-  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291423329755?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The 15 way ribbon cables are ready, I just need to get them mounted on the console and junction boxes!

Regards, Peter.

Malc

I have 2 plates Peter. 1 is a half sized plate, about 2 and 1/2 inches long, with a USB cut out as well as the D15. The other is full sized with a D and 2 USB cut outs. Any use?

MalcolmInN

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on April 26, 2015, 04:25:26 PMThe hole would be about 22 mm long by 10 mm wide, if that helps?
without getting my microscope out and allowing for failing eyes I make the hole for the body a gnats under 30mm, perhaps 29, - but the body of the plug/socket/receptacle to go through it is only about 25mm - .  And a gnats over 10mm -8mm- wide respectively. Fixing holes 33.5mm between C . But fear not, the pattern will be with you forthwith, just as soon as I find that jiffy bag that I put aside cos it would be useful one day ,, ha!

:)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Malc on April 28, 2015, 10:25:33 AM
The problem with those back plates illustrated above is that they have attached circuit boards.
do you mean my pic ? No, cct board is elsewhere with flying ribbon to the two sockets mounted on this plate.
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on April 28, 2015, 10:35:11 AM
I am going to mount these:-  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291423329755?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Oh that is a clever wee thing, didnt know they existed !

I've been thinking (oh err! ) rather than doing lots of fiddly metal bashing for each hole could you instead make one large (long) hole to take several side by side, with a width of about 25mm. Or even two mounting bars about 25-30mm apart to take the mounting screws. Then cover the whole with a masking "plate" of card with the wee holes in it for decorative porpoises ?

No, sorry, that one is a 25 :(
Still looking for that other computal , ,,

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations