Contributions from the other half...

Started by lionwing, July 16, 2013, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mereman

I've decided not to weather my locos, in my world the engines were well looked after and clean, I just can't bring myself to dirty them. The track will be but not the beautiful engines.

So i guess I'm with Mrs Dodger... sorry ;)
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

NeMo

Oh dear!

My wife actually said today about a couple new wagons I'd bought "that they needed to be weathered". I think it helped that I got a few pieces done professionally, mostly locos, so she saw they weren't so much messed up as personalised! She has also taken to using my airbrush for her own projects, so now we share airbrush time on sunny days and she's pretty happy when I'm spraying something because she gets airbrush time knowing she can let me clean up the airbrush afterwards!

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: dodger112958 on July 20, 2013, 10:18:58 PM
After explaining what weathering actually meant, she said 'Don't you dare make all those pretty engines look filthy and disgusting, why do you men always have to make everything filthy and dirty.' I assumed she was talking about the locos!
I tried to explain that the period I am modelling was at the end of steam and they really did look like that.
'Don't you dare,' was the reply. ??? ???
I want her to be on my side and take and active interest so maybe the weathering powders will have to put away for a while.
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

dodger112958

Quote from: mereman on July 20, 2013, 10:24:40 PM
I've decided not to weather my locos, in my world the engines were well looked after and clean, I just can't bring myself to dirty them. The track will be but not the beautiful engines.

I must admit she has taken an interest in the railway, she studied each of the locos I have, and said that they are lovely, can't believe something so small can be so detailed and actually have an motor in it. When I put a few carriages behind the Britannia, she was most impressed, she especially loves the locos with names.
I think I will give weathering a miss for now, as I really want her to be interested in the hobby and keep her on my side, a small price to pay.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mereman

Quote from: dodger112958 on July 20, 2013, 10:46:13 PM
Quote from: mereman on July 20, 2013, 10:24:40 PM

I must admit she has taken an interest in the railway, she studied each of the locos I have, and said that they are lovely, can't believe something so small can be so detailed and actually have an motor in it. When I put a few carriages behind the Britannia, she was most impressed, she especially loves the locos with names.
I think I will give weathering a miss for now, as I really want her to be interested in the hobby and keep her on my side, a small price to pay.

Agreed.
Mrs mereman is being very supportive as the bank balance drops :D
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Bealman

Totally in agreement, gents. I too model the 50s and 60s and am very aware of the state of locomotives at that time, and I know that weathering makes things more  realistic, but I honestly can't bring myself to doing it either - especially the new ones that I have paid so much for at hobby shops here in Oz.

And if it keeps TOH happy then so be it - 'nuff said!   ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

1936ace

My wife Nicole came up with a great name for work layout that we hope we can exhibit. As we are doing a br layout but not location exact so we can run a couple of different liveries/areas she suggested Whereverton or as it will be a junction station maybe Whereverton Junction.
So that way if we get ambushed by a rivot counter we can just say the location is where ever
Bart

daveg

Most of my locos are pristine but a few are factory weathered so not brilliant done, but OK.

I'm not going to attempt to do my own weathering other than a rake or two of wagons. I'll use water based paint so if I really mess up making them messy, it'll wash off.

Nice when the other half takes an interest. I'm promised a railway room or a big workshop when we move.

Dave G

Bealman

Hey then, Dave - better be a gooood boy! ;D

Bart: Great idea from Nicole! Reminds me of a layout which featured as Railway of the Month in an old issue of Railway Modeller (around about Nov 1975, if I recall). It was a 009 rabbit warren layout in a very small space, which got got me re-started in the hobby after the usual years off drinking, playing footy, drinking, chasing women and drinking.....

It was called 'ABERBINERE BAYFORE' which got it's name from the little 00 scale plastic guy glued in the second coach who, after going through the same station for the umpteen time, yelled out: "HAV AH BEEN HERE BEFORE?"

A cracker!

If the builder of that layout and author of that article is reading this, I apologise for not seeking permission to quote. I have the magazine on the shelf beside me here, but those mags are so jammed together I'd need a forklift to get at it.

Anyway, rest assured, it rekindled my enthusiasm in the hobby.

So thank you, Nicole, better half of Bart, for thinking of that excellent layout name and reminding me of the above memory!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beers:

Sprintex

We both take an active interest in each others' hobbies, but that's probably helped by the fact our cars are our joint-hobby anyway and how we met :)

Clare has come up with some great ideas for the layout, and in fact without her help in putting down contours and scenery late into the night for a fortnight it would never have made it to the 2009 NGS AGM and the Layout Competition! Last year she went up to Scottieland to visit her parents for a week, so I had one week of layout time taking over the entire lounge during which I got the electrics finished and given a thorough testing. When I phoned her the night before she was due to come home I was told in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to put the layout away as she wanted a play with the trains when she got home! :D

She was also well pleased to receive a Farish "Flying Scotsman" for christmas, which is our one 'steam special' on an otherwise diesel layout ;)

Her other hobby is collecting My Little Pony, as she's had some of them since childhood. This year she joined a forum and found out there is a MLP Convention, but it clashes with TINGS in September :worried: Solution? We've booked a hotel half way between Cardiff (where the convention is) and Leamington (where TINGS is held) and we're having a "hobby weekender" - MLP Convention on saturday and TINGS on sunday - best of both worlds :thumbsup:

Paul

Bealman

That's awesome that your wife works on your layout (although mine did glue some bricks on a 00 scale building once for the 009 rabbit warren I built back in 1977 - and painted a few figures, if I recall, but that's been it since).

As to a My Little Pony convention - equally awesome! My daughter who is going to the 4th test in Durham with us used to collect them and still has them somewhere... must inform her!

Caz

Having been "the other half" and doing all the fiddly bits on to my dad's layout, then my my 2 brother's layouts, 2 husband's layouts and finally my son's I finally plucked up courage just over 3 years ago to have a go at my own although it will eventually go to my grandson so he has a layout he can call his own.  I now actually get to drive the trains (well the computer does) which wasn't allowed back then in case I caused a crash.  lol  Still like doing the fiddly bits as I am blessed with infinite patience.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Sprintex

Link for you George ;) - http://astoundance.com/ponycon/

Caz, that's some previous experience! :goggleeyes: Certainly shows in your layout that's for sure.

Why wait so long to build your own layout, if that's not being too nosey? ;)

Paul

Bealman

Without being nosey, wot he said. 'Cos your layout is a corker, Caz.

Oh, and as an aside..... honestly.....(?!) thanks for the link there, Paul. It has already been forwarded to number one daughter. That's if it can get through all the security to reach her. Still.... My Little Pony will find a way! Very determined critters, if I remember. I know that from the show and the way number 1 daughter would corral them together wagon-train fashion to make sure number 2 daughter couldn't play with 'em! Just as long as she doesn't wave 'em around in Chester-le-Street! Neigh...! Brrrrp!

She's a solicitor for the NSW Ombudsman these days, but there is a MLP on her desk, believe me.  :D

Caz

Quote from: Sprintex on July 22, 2013, 09:32:35 AM
Caz, that's some previous experience! :goggleeyes: Certainly shows in your layout that's for sure.

Why wait so long to build your own layout, if that's not being too nosey? ;)
Paul

Why wait, mainly force of circumstances, always had a partner to worry about until about 4 years ago so had other priorities but being single again I wanted a new challenge and grandson was bitching about not having much say in his dad's railway so thought "that's a good idea, why not have a go". 

Got a friend to make the baseboards, I'm good with electrics but know my limitations and anything remotely mechanical is a big no no.  It was really nice to be able to do what I wanted and not what I was told to do (lol) and gave myself a complete free hand although my son advised on the track plan.  Don't think I had done so much reading in years, joined every forum I could to pick brains and ideas.  DCC really appealed to me as it would be automatic and less chance of me crashing the trains.  :dunce:

Ironic thing is No 1 grandson has started to lose interest in railways and has gone mad on Scalelectrix, hopefully he will come back to railways someday, but if not, then my brother's grandson will end up with a nice railway.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

Here's wishing you many, many more happy hours, Caz,  with your trains and terrific layout before you decide to hand it over.

:beers:

Dave G

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations