Revolution Offering Mk5 coaches

Started by njee20, February 11, 2019, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben A

Hello all,

A little inspiration - I am looking forward to picking up one of the Farish 57s in Northern Belle livery and it turns out it'll go rather nicely with the Mk5s in TPE, as it appears to have been used for delivering the sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYFLvaqkZA

cheers

Ben A.

Nighthawk

Have just found the TransPennine Express Mk5 variants in the Revolution website shop.  Two sets of five vehicles at £225.00 (same price as the OO versions from Accurascale).  Nothing new in the News or Projects sections as yet.

Details somewhat limited with nothing regarding lighting arrangements.

Will wait for further information before placing an order.

John D

njee20

Be interesting to see how the pricing on the Caledonian ones is. £45 a vehicle is certainly at the top end (even allowing for the fact one is a DT) of what we've seen previously, and works out more expensive per-unit than the last batch of sound-fitted Pendolinos if that's not a grossly unfair comparison.

I definitely want a set of the sleepers, but may have to temper plans for a full rake!

Nighthawk

Yes, £45 per vehicle does seem quite a bit.
However, if internal lighting is(?) included throughout along with directional lighting(?) for the DVT (as per the OO spec) then I would be more than happy to pay the price and not to have to retrofit light bars.
Perhaps Ben or Mike can enlighten us further?
John D.

davidinyork

Why do people use the term 'DVT'? it's not a van at all. DT or DTS is a more accurate description.

njee20

Because DVT just rolls off the tongue (or fingers) and it's what we're naturally conditioned to call a non-powered vehicle with a cab. But yes, in this context it's not a "V".

red_death

The DT will have directional lighting as will any coaches (e.g. the sleepers) with tail lights.

The spec is pretty similar to the OO version as we want the same level of quality. The coaches are coming out of the same factory as the OO models as well so that we get some consistency of design and features (as well as a small saving in costs).

We're waiting to see what the designers can fit in the coaches before we say there will definitely be interior lighting though that is certainly our hope.

Prices are a reflection of the amount of tooling and detail I'm afraid (and not out of line particularly with Farish's recent Birdcage stock which have an RRP of £50/coach). Comparisons with the Pendolino don't really help as that was tooled nearly 4(?) years ago and if we were producing it now it would be considerably more expensive.

Cheers Mike

red_death

PS the pricing on the Caledonian Sleepers will be the same for the same reasons.

Cheers Mike

njee20

Thanks Mike, and apologies for drawing grossly unfair comparisons!

I'm sure a rake will still find their way onto the layout!

Bingley Hall

For those that think the prices are too high, and thereby implying that either Revolution's business model is flawed or that Andy and Mike are excessively lining their pockets at our expense, there is a very, very simple answer.

Set up your own model company and bring products to us at cheaper prices. No excuses - Andy and Mike have shown the way, now you show us it can be done cheaper!

Time and time again people, including even the much maligned Mr Jones, have tried to inform forumites of the perils and costs of production, yet no-one seems to pay a bind bit of notice.

So enough with the mithering, get out there and show us how it's done :P

njee20

1) I think you mean Ben and Mike

2) I don't think anyone's complaining (I'm not), merely observing

3) your extrapolation of people's implications seems way off and pretty unfair

robert shrives

Well I have now yellowed my 3D print 73/9 and it is a lovely print , teal to follow!

All the real Mk5s seem to be a bit plagued with TMS issues with reports of sleepers failing /running very late an almost daily  froth generator on other forums ! Hopefully we will escape that in the models! - DCC brake facility??  The Mk3s will stay on longer now on the Highlander, get them while you can. 

davidinyork

Quote from: robert shrives on June 27, 2019, 10:03:20 PM
All the real Mk5s seem to be a bit plagued with TMS issues with reports of sleepers failing /running very late an almost daily  froth generator on other forums ! Hopefully we will escape that in the models! - DCC brake facility??  The Mk3s will stay on longer now on the Highlander, get them while you can.

It seems that Transpennine are prioritising their other new fleets ahead of the Mk5a sets now, ue to all the problems (the Mk5a sets were supposed to be the first of the new fleets in service).

acko22

Quote from: davidinyork on June 27, 2019, 10:29:10 PM

It seems that Transpennine are prioritising their other new fleets ahead of the Mk5a sets now, ue to all the problems (the Mk5a sets were supposed to be the first of the new fleets in service).

At risk to pulling things off topic onto the real ones, in the case of transpennine and well the MK5s in general, the issues been had regarding the TMS is due to inter operation with the locos and the TMS systems fitted on them, the Mk5s use the CAF system where as the 68s and 92s use the ones fitted by their respective manufacturers.

Added into that specifically for the 92s and MK5As there has been some reported issues with the Deliner Couplers which when working between say DMUs which are both powered haven't had an issue but when 16 coaches are been pulled the electrcial connections for the TMS have a momentary break and systems on modern trains are designed as such should there be ANY lose of connection then it automatically applies full breaking effort.

I only know this as well last week I came off an traction and rolling stock engineering course which well these issues were used as examples.

But back on topic I personally cannot wait for these to arrive and a really great addition to the market for years to come!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

woodbury22uk

Four Caledonian Sleeper sets have now been listed alongside the two Trans Pennine Express sets mentioned previously.

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product-category/ngauge/mark-5-coaches/

The differences in the lengths of some cars is apparent in the artwork, just to add to the tooling complexity and cost.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations