Titled trains nameboards

Started by Newportnobby, February 17, 2024, 09:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I'm looking to source some quality nameboards for titled trains of my chosen era (1955 - 1965).
At present I have just the one attached to a Merchant Navy for the 'Atlantic Coast Express'
Wherever possible I don't want to permanently attach the nameboard.
Please only reply if you have personal experience of any recommendation as I'm quite capable of searching the internet but there's nowt quite like product knowledge.

martyn

I have an old Fox 'Day Continental' headboard, in thin etched brass.

They still have a range available, but doesn't seem so wide a choice in 2mm as it used to be. Well produced and painted.

The Sankey printed paper ones are rather thick, unless you manage to peel the print off and mount on thin plastic card or similar.

Martyn

Brian-1c

I bought some etched brass headboards from Fox. Royal Scot and Mersyside express. The latter were quite expensive, as they didn't stock them and made them specially, with a wait until next time they did an etched production run.

They are very good. I found blue tack was a bit too coarse to attach these, as they are so small. Black tack was a better solution. I wanted to avoid a permanent mount.
Brian

PLD

+1 for Fox for quality and service.

For non-permanent attachment, I used double-sided tape - Place the plate on the tape on a flat surface and cut round it, then remove the backing paper from the other side of the tape.

Newportnobby

Quote from: PLD on February 17, 2024, 11:59:53 AM+1 for Fox for quality and service.

For non-permanent attachment, I used double-sided tape - Place the plate on the tape on a flat surface and cut round it, then remove the backing paper from the other side of the tape.

Thanks, Paul.
What did you use to remove the nameboard and did it affect the paint job please?

PLD

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 17, 2024, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: PLD on February 17, 2024, 11:59:53 AM+1 for Fox for quality and service.

Thanks, Paul.
What did you use to remove the nameboard and did it affect the paint job please?
The tape would just peel off when you want to remove the plate. no marking/residue I can recall from the tape I used (which would most likely have been whatever local Wilko's or B&M had at the time), but can't guarantee that's the case with all brands...

Newportnobby

Thanks.
Sadly the Fox website is shockingly short of product pics, especially of the boards that I would be looking at :o

Newportnobby

Having looked through my bookazine of 'Titled Trains' there is one genuine example of a train calling at Oxford which is the 'Cathedrals Express'. After that I thought of what could possibly be 'diverted' for any obscure reason ( :D ) and came up with the 'Cambrian Coast Express' and the 'Cheltenham Spa Express'
Fox don't do the last one so the first 2 have been ordered.

crewearpley40

Mick genuinely

Summer 63
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedrals_Express

London Paddington Hereford via Oxford Worcester

https://www.miac.org.uk/thecathedralsexpress.html

Would fit perfectly in with a Castle Class and chocolate and cream coaches

Newportnobby

Please read post #7 again and you will see I have ordered that one

crewearpley40

I noticed. Was just trying to be helpful with the loco and stock and look forward to one day seeing the photos. All 3 would have passed oxford

geoffc

Quote from: crewearpley40 on February 24, 2024, 04:03:05 PMMick genuinely

Summer 63
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedrals_Express

London Paddington Hereford via Oxford Worcester

https://www.miac.org.uk/thecathedralsexpress.html

Would fit perfectly in with a Castle Class and chocolate and cream coaches

In the first picture it looks like name boards on the coaches as well, I remember them on the Pembroke Coast Express.

Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations