N Gauge GWR Class 101 steam loco?

Started by RBTKraisee, October 20, 2021, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBTKraisee

My very first train set back in the day had a Hornby OO gauge GWR Class 101 0-4-0 steam loco in it and I kinda miss it.

Does anyone do a Class 101 in N?

Ross.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

chrism

Dunno why they numbered it 107 - there was only 101 class loco, numbered 101.

RBTKraisee

Dredging the ol' memory (bit dark in there!) I'm pretty sure mine was numbered 101.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jollybob

This was based on a  actual GWR engine. It was originally built as an oil fired loco.

Steven B

No - it's not been done in N.

0-4-0s in N Gauge are a rare beast - I don't think there's been one modelled on a British prototype (there's been a small number of mainland Europe and Japanese ones though).

I can't imagine this ever being done RTR - I think you need to be looking at scratch building or a 3d printed body.

Steven B.

Bealman

Arnold did an 0-6-0 chassis way back, you could remove the centre wheel and make it an 0-4-0
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

zwilnik

Quote from: Bealman on October 21, 2021, 09:22:26 AM
Arnold did an 0-6-0 chassis way back, you could remove the centre wheel and make it an 0-4-0

Or the ubiquitous Minitrix T3 chassis. Another one that's easy to take the centre wheels out of. The only problem with the T3 one is the Motor is mounted vertically at the back to be hidden in the cab. So it would be a bit visible in an open cab :/

There's also a Fleischmann 0-4-0, but they're harder to find.

msr

There are three 0-4-0T locos that I can think of that may be suitable:
Tomix Percy
Minitrix Glaskasten
Ibertren Cuco

Steven B

Quote from: msr on October 21, 2021, 09:54:13 AM
Tomix Percy
Minitrix Glaskasten
Ibertren Cuco

There's now also the Bachmann Percy. The Bachman 009 Rheneas may also be considering but might be too long in the wheelbase.

Steven B.

Alcazar

I think we had the Fleischmann 0-4-0 at our module session over last weekend. Unfortunately I only have an overhead shot - I'll see whether anyone else took a better photo.

Peter

Flange Squeal

In the early days of British N Gauge (1970s) Peco sold some white metal body kits to fit over an Arnold 0-4-0 German chassis. There was an 0-4-0 Side Tank and an 0-4-0 Peckett (possibly other types too?) both of these I remember seeing decorated in GWR livery. Until the Graham Farish Pannier Tank arrived there wasn't much else you could buy. I guess the closest ready to run model to a 101 would be a Dapol 14xx.

zwilnik

Quote from: Alcazar on October 21, 2021, 11:27:26 AM
I think we had the Fleischmann 0-4-0 at our module session over last weekend. Unfortunately I only have an overhead shot - I'll see whether anyone else took a better photo.

Peter

I've got one here. it's the model number 7000 one I think.

very short wheelbase, but flatter motor

zwilnik

Internally though, the chassis is a lot wider than the Minitrix one (behind in 0-4-0 mode)

railsquid

For completeness there's also this Japanese 0-4-0 model from Tsugawa Yoko: https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001005869520/ though it looks too small for this purpose.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations