Sometimes I wish I modelled in 00

Started by silly moo, January 08, 2019, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

Seeing all the new releases from Hornby for 2019 and all the excitement and controversy they have generated, I sometimes wish I had more money, and space. They are producing some wonderful little industrial tank engines which I would love to see in N one day.

N will always be my favourite but being a much smaller market we just don’t get the volume of new releases and they seem to take forever to be produced.

I do actually have some 00, a small collection of locos bought while I was waiting for Farish and Dapol to produce some of my favourites. I occasionally add to this collection when something irresistible is produced.

Does anyone else feel tempted to cross over to the dark side?

:NGF:

njee20

Part of me does. I always think if I had an aircraft hanger and unlimited funds that I'd go to OO, but then I think I'd still like the long trains in N, and if I really had unlimited resources then I'd go for O.

Given I'm always likely to have practical constraints, and I've got an idea for a c20m long N gauge layout I'm not sure it's ever likely to happen! That and I've got far too much stock I've accrued!

I'm actually not that fussed by the stock so much as things like signals being better, sound provision better, slow speed running being better and so on.

thebrighton

Nope, but then I get most enjoyment from scratch building and model pre grouping so the RTR market doesn't have much affect on me. Also in 'OO' most pre grouping locos I'd need are readily available in either RTR or kit form so where's the fun in that :)

guest311

NeMo

After dropping some hints, my dear wife bought me one of the Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo locomotives. It's a lovely thing.

No use for it, of course, but the range of things available in 00 is amazing and sometimes over-tempting.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

silly moo

It's the tank engines that tempt me Pecketts, Terriers and the Wainwright class H, I wouldn't be able to scratch build them in N to a reasonable standard.

I will always be grateful to Dapol for doing the Terrier in N though I've got half a dozen.

martyn

I did a while ago, when locos pertinent to my East Anglian interest were being announced; B17s (Sandy and Footballer), K3, B12/3, 'Claud', J15, cl15, 16, 24, Cravens and Derby DMUs, 4 wheel railbuses........and also Gresley and Thompson corridor and non-corridor stock.

But I wouldn't be able to model a 'Britannia' or English Electric type 4 with ten on, which I can in N......

Martyn

The Q

At the moment locos appearing in N I want in EM,  those appearing in 00, I want in N...

ntpntpntp

OO no not really, HO maybe (more accurate scale/gauge ratio).  I do have a handful of HO locos. 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Lawrence

To be honest V, as I get older, it's only my eyesight that is considering the move up, until that position becomes untenable, I will soldier on with N

martyn

Come to think of it, I've frequently thought that 3mm was possibly the best scale; big enough to give reasonable detail, but still small enough to get an appreciable amount of railway in a given area.

Martyn

chrism

Quote from: martyn on January 08, 2019, 05:29:40 PMBut I wouldn't be able to model a 'Britannia' or English Electric type 4 with ten on, which I can in N......

That's similar to the reason that I opted for N when I decided to take up modelling again - size.
I'm making a model of the long-closed Coniston station in the Lake District which, with a little modeller's licence at the extreme ends, I can fit in pretty close to scale length on an 8' long baseboard, but only if I work in N.
Since I don't have a 20' spare room, OO was out of the question.

railsquid

Nope - while there are some "gaps" I'd like to see filled, I've got plenty enough to be going on for now, and the OO/HO space penalty is not one I'd care to live with.

Now, if a manufacturer suddenly came out with a comprehensive TT range rivalling the current N range, I might be tempted, but that's never going to happen.

I do sometimes play with the idea of an O gauge shunting plank with a Dapol 08.

I suppose I do have the advantage of living in Japan and doing Japanese N gauge as well, where the challenge is to find stuff which *hasn't* been done.

The Q

I've had to build a 63ft long shed for my EM gauge layout,  I wish that had been 2mm FS...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations