SHAPEWAYS PRICE HIKE ON THE 30TH

Started by Snowwolflair, January 27, 2019, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

It seems to suggest it's only FUD that's a problem, so presumably coloured-SF was meant to triple in price... seems at odds with suggesting the increases in FUD were out of anticipated boundaries.

Snowwolflair

Ok, I did a bit of digging about the best soon to be available resin SLA printers and I believe this will be a good buy.  they are currently taking pre-orders and I trust them as my first SLA printer came from them and was bought the same way (but through a Kickstarter).

https://www.phrozen3dp.com/products/phrozen-shuffle-xl

the important thing is the optics and mechanical stability which allows it to print a footprint of up to 190mm by 120mm, almost A5 and big enough to print a Class 66 or Mk3 flat and square to the build space, i.e. no need to tilt or slant.  the price tag is c£1,000 with resin at 0.5kg at ~£25.  However they do not restrict you to their resin and encourage other resin manufacturers to certify to their spec.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Only Me on January 31, 2019, 08:09:46 PM
@Snowwolflair  i have invested in an anycubic photon, the bed isnt massive but its results are excellent!

Yes I have some prints from a Shapeways shop owner who also provides his models from his own anycubic photon arriving tomorrow and I will be interested in how they turn out.

the  anycubic photon is state of the art today.  The progress this year will be in build plate size which is not as easy as just scaling up as the angular stresses increase distorting the print.

carlmt

I have just placed my last order with Shapeways, although it is model boat related and not train.

Our little company has been using Shapeways for the past three years to produce all the 3D printed parts and fittings for our model boat kits and we have spent close on £10k with them in that time.  No longer though.  We took the decision in the autumn to invest in our own 3D printing set up to service our kit production, our parts and fittings production and to offer a bureau service printing 3D items for third parties.

For our purposes FUD was too brittle and fragile so all our parts are designed for nylon plastic.  This dictated an SLS machine so we have plumped for the Sinterit Lisa to get us going, with a £300 PLA machine for prototype part testing.  The cost of our setup?  Just over £10k - but we cannot keep lining Shapeways pockets anymore........it is eating into our margins!!!

Will post more when it arrives in a couple of weeks  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carl

carlmt

Would that be just the upper body you printed or the chassis too?

Not looking for one myself, just interested.  Looks like a decent print for a first time out of the tank.

Carl

Snowwolflair

Looks good, what chassis are you using?

emjaybee

Wowsers!

That's some next level stuff there bloke.

Mightily impressive. Out of curiosity, what do you reckon the cost of that print is, excluding the cost of the printer obviously?

:D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Snowwolflair

Can you let me have a Shapeways link for the chassis.

Thanks

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Only Me on January 31, 2019, 11:30:58 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 31, 2019, 11:21:36 PM
Can you let me have a Shapeways link for the chassis.

Thanks

Its not a shapeways chassis its a dapol 21t £4 from hattons

Sorry trying to read this on an iPhone, thanks

emjaybee

Quote from: Only Me on January 31, 2019, 11:17:14 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on January 31, 2019, 11:12:56 PM
Wowsers!

That's some next level stuff there bloke.

Mightily impressive. Out of curiosity, what do you reckon the cost of that print is, excluding the cost of the printer obviously?

:D

Six quid to you..

That's not bad at all really. Granted it's not my kinda wagon (don't recall the LMS using them), but that's not half bad. I can see you wearing the thing out in about six months.

;D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

With all the shenanigans going on can some in the cognoscenti inform this dunce whether the price I paid for my diesel brake tender body last week beat the increase or had the price already been increased before I ordered it? :dunce:
:thankyousign:

woodbury22uk

Price increase applies from Monday 4 February 2019 so you got yours at the grandfathered price if it was online before the price increase was announced back in October 2018. I think you got a good price by comparison with whatever comes next.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

I haven't got a scooby doo what a 'grandfathered price' is, and placed the order on 29th January 2019 at £8.83 + £5.53 shipping and £2.88 duty.

njee20

Grandfather rights - when something changes, but anything pre-existing before the change aren't carried over. People who had a driving licence before a certain time could drive lorries on their existing licence, the change wasn't retroactive.

In this context - grandfathered pricing means those items that were put onto Shapeways before October 2018 are immune from the price rises that were due to take effect next week while they work out what the correct pricing should be. There's a separate question about those items which were uploaded onto Shapeways after October 2018, which were subjected to the new pricing immediately, and are therefore (by Shapeways own admission) now priced wrongly.

Your diesel brake tender sounds like it's probably an older model, as that pricing sounds about right, by all accounts the 'new' pricing is far higher.

Snowwolflair

Shapeways are either not talking to me now or they have realised and finally grasped the problem and have gone silent until they have an answer.

My last message to them sums up the problem.

The algorithm fault is in the way it calculates the z-axis and I therefore assume material volume.

Can I encourage anyone else inclined to do so to ask them the same question.

QuoteThis does not make sense.

If it's a z-axis fault why does it affect old designs and not new ones.   Pricing for both old and new start with the same dimensioning data and are being priced by the same algorithm.

Does the algorithm have a date element in its calculation otherwise the algorithm is ignorant to the origin date of the model and will calculate a price based on the same data sets and algorithm.

You have acknowledged the algorithm has a fault (z-axis fault) and it will have had a z-axis problem when it's been calculating new designs since it was implemented.

If you cannot grasp this pass me on to someone who can grasp this concept.  You have a problem with pricing.

I'm an engineer with a manufacturing background, I suspect you are not and therefore cannot grasp the problem.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations