NGS present day commissions

Started by Ben A, December 15, 2013, 02:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Sory to hear that Ben A. What a disappointment.

I can only speak for myself and say that the choices just weren't what I'm looking for.

pape_timmo

I'm really disappointed by this news. I put my expressions in for 4 autoballasters and te NR coach too. I'd buy these quite happily.

Shame... Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

54strat

One NR registered and fingers crossed that this happens. It would be a real shame for any future initiatives of present day stock if this fails to get started.

I've mentioned elsewhere, although not my main interest I'm happy to support this hoping that others may do the same with an eye to the long term development of other such models of today's stock.

And having something yellow might cheer up all that blue.

Paul

Buzzard

Quote from: pape_timmo on January 20, 2014, 12:11:24 AM
I'm really disappointed by this news. I put my expressions in for 4 autoballasters

Me too as I put my name down for 3 because I thought that it would have more of a chance of getting to the 350 total than the coaches.  Oh well right in one respect but so wrong in another.

The NGS must find this whole matter rather odd as some modellers say they don't want kits, which the NGS does in spades, but now they don't want rtr as well.  However it's better to ask up front than be left with a dent in the bank account because a model didn't sell.

Nigel

Ben A

Hi Nigel,

The auto ballasters are in the lead but it's a fairly moot point given the tiny numbers involved!

I have put this note out just to ensure no one can say after the deadline that they were planning to order a dozen but just didn't get round to it.  The time to act is now.

I appreciate those modelling the sectorization era might not want any of these models, but then I wouldn't classify that as present day and plenty of the EWS and even BR blue models we've already done are suitable for that era.

But I struggle to see why anyone depicting the present day wouldn't want at least one of these.  The Carillion auto ballaster fits in well with Railtrack ones for a little bit of engineers' variety; the network rail coach makes a good "short train" with Farish NR 37, 31, upcoming 57 and generator BG while charter rakes have even run over freight only lines.  And I think the chocolate and cream mk2 has been in that livery for years.

I honestly don't think a different selection would have made a significant difference; I can only think that the "modern" fraternity, while vocal, is smaller than we might like.

But as you say, at least we tried and it's cost us nothing except time.

Cheers

Ben A.

Chinahand

Not sure if this counts as being 'Off Topic' but does anyone have any information as to when the GWR Collet BGs will be available. The last I saw was in October when the revised CAD drawings were received but since then, silence.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Ben A

Hello Trevor,

Sill waiting on final CAD drawings for approval.  The change in personnel at Dapol has not helped the schedule, but also I've been reluctant to sign off on the drawings until I'm happy and we're not quite there yet.

Cheers

Ben A. 

StufromEGDL

Hi Ben,

Not a current NGS Member, so no vote for me I'm afraid.

However, I cannot see past either the NR coach or the Carillion Autoballaster as the current models offered by Bachmann are relatively scarce.

It would be a shame to see the project wither, but I suspect that the Autoballasters may offer the least risk if the NGS were to take a 'leap of faith'.

Either way, I don't envy your decision!!!

Regards,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Dave Searle

Quote from: Ben A on January 19, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
Bad news.

We are within six weeks of the deadline ands none of the offered models is even remotely near the 350 threshold.  The nearest is the Carillion autoballaster with less than 20 expressions of interest.

Hi Ben,

That is sad - I put down for 5 autoballasters, 1 NR yellow and 1 maroon coach.  Given the speed at which Dapol's batches of contemporary stock seem to sell out, I would have expected a higher take up.

regards,

Dave

Ben A

Dave - I am surprised at just how low the take up has been!

Stu - if we don't reach the predetermined threshold of 350 expressions of interest then we won't be proceeding. We know the transition era modellers support projects - the question was, will modern image modellers do the same given the criticism of NGS for focussing too much on the 50s/60s era?  Evidence so far seems they won't!  But they can't say they weren't asked.  Either way, we won't be taking any chances with our members' money!

Cheers

Ben A. 

Caz

Ben, I've just been on the NGS website perhaps I'm being dumb but where are the links to these proposed projects, also it would be nice to see some sort of pictures of the proposed models as not every one (including me) knows what they all are and look like.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

StufromEGDL

Hi Ben,

Yes, I can understand the stance of not 'risking' the Member's money.....especially when the target audience has been quiet, and there may be some opposition from the other period modellers.

There are a lot of modellers around (I personally know 3) MI modellers who do not frequent this group and may have missed the journal article...or filed it away for future reference etc.....but as you say, no feedback =no model...shame!!

Good Luck
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Ben A

Hi Stu

I am pretty sure the journal article stated clearly that the deadline for this project was the end of February.  I think there may be an element of "I won't bother because others will, I'll just order one later" but unfortunately these figures suggest that without everyone putting up, we won't reach the threshold.

I agree that not everyone is on the web, but I have posted this here, on RM Web and on the N Gauge Yahoo groups.

The images of the prototypes are, as has been said, on the first page of this thread.  There is plenty of information there but if you have specific questions to help you decide please ask and I will try to help.

At this stage all we need is an indication of interest, so just an email with your membership number and what you want to the NGS shop is enough, no money is required now hence no official pre-order form.

cheers

Ben A.

Caz

Quote from: Only Me on January 20, 2014, 09:07:52 AM
Quote from: whiteswan on January 20, 2014, 08:59:05 AM
Ben, I've just been on the NGS website perhaps I'm being dumb but where are the links to these proposed projects, also it would be nice to see some sort of pictures of the proposed models as not every one (including me) knows what they all are and look like.

They are on the first page of this thread :)

Thanks Paul, oh dear, not a good day, better go back to mod school  :dunce:   :-[
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

PostModN66

Hi Ben,

As always, thanks for your efforts on this topic and I'm sorry you are encountering what must be very frustrating lack of response.

For what it's worth, my own lack of enthusiasm for the selected models is because

- I'm not really particularly interested in coaching stock per se.
- Network rail is over-represented on models (relatively scarce on the real railway) so I have decided not to go down that route. (And my modelling colleague, Neal, already has some NR equipment)
- Autoballasters are already available elsewhere in a more widespread livery.  If I were to buy a rake of them I would probably go for 10 of the Railtrack variant.  I have never seen the Carillion ones in real life

It occurs to me that some of the choices above are models that people would only buy in small numbers anyway.  I tend to save up and buy freight wagons by the train load, which means (to fit my traverser) ten bogie wagons or twenty short wheelbase four-wheel wagons at a time.  You would need relatively few of such orders to make up the numbers.

Hence my suggestion of the Cargowaggon pairs above.  You could put me down for six pairs of them!  But it is difficult to think of other wagons that haven't already been done; except:

Cargowaggon pairs
Modern TEA
White Lady bogie cement waggons
Car transporters (STVA two level or flats)

Cheers

Jon  :)

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations