Changing amount of unread posts since last visit

Started by geoffc, January 07, 2021, 09:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

Probably the subject is not quite correct but I am at a loss as what to call this query.
Tuesday I had 4 pages of unread posts, some 4 days old, since my last visit the previous day.
Yesterday less than a page and the same today.
Todays page did not include some posts made after my last visit at 21.00 yesterday.
Is there an explanation for this occuring as I could loose some unread posts since my last visit?
Why sometimes does it run to 4 pages of unread posts over several days and other days less than all the unread posts during 12 hours since my last visit?

Geoff

swisstrains

I'm not sure if it is the same problem Geoff but I have noticed that when I read a previously unread post in a particular section sometimes all the other unread posts in that same section disappear.
Could you be having the same problem and that's why your list of unread posts often reduces?

guest311

I have found the same thing on occasions, just put it down to my remembering wrongly.

usually select all unread posts, have a look through, then read the ones I want to, then mark all messages read.

but on occasions I think 'I'll have a look at that one', read another, and then find the first has disappeared.

just then go to forum, scroll down and then find in the list of recent posts.

stevewalker

I always look through the unread list from the end, back to the beginning (to avoid things moving over page breaks as I select them), opening everything that looks interesting in new tabs, mark all messages as read and close the initial tab, then start actually reading each tab.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: geoffc on January 07, 2021, 09:47:46 AM
Probably the subject is not quite correct but I am at a loss as what to call this query.
Tuesday I had 4 pages of unread posts, some 4 days old, since my last visit the previous day.
Yesterday less than a page and the same today.
Todays page did not include some posts made after my last visit at 21.00 yesterday.
Is there an explanation for this occuring as I could loose some unread posts since my last visit?
Why sometimes does it run to 4 pages of unread posts over several days and other days less than all the unread posts during 12 hours since my last visit?

Geoff

Hi

Are you clicking on "show all unread posts" or "show unread posts since last visit".

If you are using the second it would explain why.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

guest311

just had this happen again, among my unread posts were todays groaner, and covid advice.

read the groaner, hit 'back' and the covid advice post had disappeared.

marked other posts as read, then checked on the forum page the recent posts and noticed that both posts had been by @dannyboy.

could this explain items disappearing, I've not noticed before who had made the last posts on the items I'd read and the ones that disappeared ?

if that makes sense  :-\

dannyboy

Now look here my good man - I do not mind getting the blame for the occasional outbreak of groaning throughout the forum, but I am not going to be blamed for disappearing posts!  :no:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I wouldn't say too much about whoever's stealing the posts as they might take a fence :worried:

jpendle

Quote from: class37025 on January 08, 2021, 07:08:41 PM
just had this happen again, among my unread posts were todays groaner, and covid advice.

read the groaner, hit 'back' and the covid advice post had disappeared.

marked other posts as read, then checked on the forum page the recent posts and noticed that both posts had been by @dannyboy.

could this explain items disappearing, I've not noticed before who had made the last posts on the items I'd read and the ones that disappeared ?

if that makes sense  :-\

I had the same thing happen. I saw 2 posts that I wanted to read. I read the first and then the second one disappeared from the list.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Tank

It sounds like there must be something between your devices and the server thinking that you've 'gone away' and come back again since your last visit.  If this happens, then you would need to use 'Show All Unread Posts' and look on there.  Not a solution, but a workaround at least. 

guest311

just checked 'all unread posts, and three showed, 'software v idiots' and 'fastest' were two of them, both posted by @dorsetmike.

read the first, clicked 'back' and the second had disappeared.

went to forum and read it from the list of recent posts.

could it be that when you read a post by a member, the system is treating all others by that member as read also ?

over to the techies.

dannyboy

@class37025
Jusy tried your theory Alan. I clicked on 'show all unread posts', (I have hundreds, but obviously for topics that I have not looked at). Mick, (newportnobby), shows a number of times, so I clicked on one of his posts and read it. I then clicked on 'show all unread posts' again and there are still some showing as unread from Mick, so not sure what is happening.

Addit: I just noticed an orange button marked, "mark all as read", (or something similar), just above the list of messages at the right hand side. I clicked on that and there are now no un-read messages! Is there something in your settings Alan that is automatically doing that for you?  :hmmm:
David.

guest311

were they his posts, or was he the last to post on that post ?

wonder if that might make a difference.

dannyboy

@class37025  He was the last to post on the thread involved. But I can't check that now as I have told the system to mark all unread posts as read!  (See my addit on reply #11).:doh:
David.

guest311

just read one he was the last to post on, then went back to read the other, and it was still there.

there be crafty gremlins about  >:D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations