Class 41 Warship resin bodies on eBay (+ other oddball prototypes)

Started by NeMo, August 22, 2014, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Resin kit, £30. Pretty much the one hydraulic you can't buy ready-to-run! But the photos are a bit blurry. Anyone know anything about these?

Seller has some other oddball prototype kits as well: DP2, Kestrel, etc. Definitely curious to know more.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

PaulCheffus

Quote from: NeMo on August 22, 2014, 06:43:53 PM
Resin kit, £30. Pretty much the one hydraulic you can't buy ready-to-run! But the photos are a bit blurry. Anyone know anything about these?

Seller has some other oddball prototype kits as well: DP2, Kestrel, etc. Definitely curious to know more.

Cheers, NeMo

Hi

At a guess looking at some of the other ones on offer I would say these are the old thatsngauge (or something similar) models. No idea on how good they were though.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

zuccah98

My 41 and 25/1 are being sent out on Monday so we will see. I believe they are old heritage N moulds. Eric and Gareth are the two that I believe run it and both seem like nice chaps.
Chris
A layout across the pond

NeMo

Quote from: zuccah98 on August 22, 2014, 09:34:33 PM
My 41 and 25/1 are being sent out on Monday so we will see. I believe they are old heritage N moulds. Eric and Gareth are the two that I believe run it and both seem like nice chaps.
Chris
Thanks both of you for the info. Chris, would be great to see what they look like in a sharper photo! The ones on the eBay site suck hard. So your opinions on the moulds and what they come with (like fuel tanks, any etched brass features) would be very welcome!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: NeMo on August 23, 2014, 10:52:25 AM
Quote from: zuccah98 on August 22, 2014, 09:34:33 PM
Chris
Thanks both of you for the info. Chris, would be great to see what they look like in a sharper photo! The ones on the eBay site suck hard. So your opinions on the moulds and what they come with (like fuel tanks, any etched brass features) would be very welcome!

Cheers, NeMo

Agreed. And any info on what chassis you intend to use would be gratefully received :thumbsup:

RussellH

The D600 looks very much like Carl's (heritageN/TNGC) resins and IIRC at the time it was thought to be a copy of a worsley works etch kit (none of my handiwork!). The corresponding copyright side of things flared up and all went quiet. Will be interesting to see what quality resins these are as there was a problem with air bubble during casting on some of the resin shells that were for sale back then. Still, probably the only chance your going to get to have a D600 unless you do a worsley kit.
   The kestrels not too bad (filling and sanding required) and fits a split chassis 47. The skinhead 31 is a standard Farish 31 shell with headcode boxes reshaped to a skinhead and that was my handiwork. The 23 is quite cute again with a bit of fettling and IIRC fits a class 33 split chassis.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Cooper

Does anyone know the history and likely quality if the class 85 castings?  I'm tempted and not worried by a bit of hacking and gentle filing!

zuccah98

Quote from: RussellH on August 24, 2014, 12:10:59 AM
    The D600 looks very much like Carl's (heritageN/TNGC) resins and IIRC at the time it was thought to be a copy of a worsley works etch kit (none of my handiwork!). The corresponding copyright side of things flared up and all went quiet. Will be interesting to see what quality resins these are as there was a problem with air bubble during casting on some of the resin shells that were for sale back then. Still, probably the only chance your going to get to have a D600 unless you do a worsley kit.
   The kestrels not too bad (filling and sanding required) and fits a split chassis 47. The skinhead 31 is a standard Farish 31 shell with headcode boxes reshaped to a skinhead and that was my handiwork. The 23 is quite cute again with a bit of fettling and IIRC fits a class 33 split chassis.

Regards
Russ
During my correspondence with the owners they said the class 41 will also fit a new dcc ready 47 and minitrix 47 chassis. I also suggested making a thread on here so hopefully he will.
Regards, Chris
A layout across the pond

Newportnobby

The reason I asked about the chassis is that, purely with a pedantic hat on, the D600 Warships were A1A-A1A configuration and the only other loco I know like that is the Class 31. The class 47's are Co-Co :hmmm:

Karhedron

Quote from: newportnobby on August 24, 2014, 10:03:37 AM
The reason I asked about the chassis is that, purely with a pedantic hat on, the D600 Warships were A1A-A1A configuration and the only other loco I know like that is the Class 31. The class 47's are Co-Co :hmmm:

While that is true, by the time you have bogie side frames on, it is pretty hard to tell the difference between Co-Co and A1A-A1A in N gauge.

I built one of these kits a couple of years ago. They are quite easy to put together although the quality of the resin casting is not the best I have seen. The window frames in particular are not particularly crisp. If you have the Worsley Works parts, you could probably improve the shell a lot with etched window frames.

Anyway, here is mine painted up as D600 active.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang,

I took the plunge for a Class 85....
First look says thT some work will be needed on the cab roofs and a bit of careful filling and filing around the windows as they are slightly angled. The instructions recommend a heavily modded Class 87 chassis but I'm going to look at more recent chassis for suitability...Dapol 26 springs to mind.....might work, might not.

Work may preclude me making a start this side of Bonfire night....so it may be a while before I can report on progress....

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

red_death

Hi Stu

I went for an 85 as well.  I can't say I was that impressed with the quality of the casting - I fear a fair bit of tidying, filing and filling will be needed particularly around the lower edges of the body.

Cheers, Mike

StufromEGDL

Hi Mike,

Agreed....but as a starting point, it beats anything else we have so far.
Eight weeks away from the UK with some filler and a few files may pass some time!!!

Later,
Stu from EGDL.

Bob Tidbury

So I take it your on a jolly for the government and we won't see you at TINGS this year Stu.
Bob

StufromEGDL

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations