Help convert an N gauge sceptic

Started by Charlton Halt, June 18, 2020, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

At one time everyone was being urged to use electronic track cleaners e.g. Relco but they really did pit track (unsure about wheel surfaces). Now the opposite advice is given i.e. don't touch 'em!

Bealman

I tried one on the early days of my layout.

Instruments of the devil.

Don't think about it!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 19, 2020, 10:59:53 AM
At one time everyone was being urged to use electronic track cleaners e.g. Relco but they really did pit track (unsure about wheel surfaces). Now the opposite advice is given i.e. don't touch 'em!

1) they were never "cleaners", they work by high voltage HF arcing across dirt and gaps allowing the traction current to flow. They do nothing to keep the track clean

2) modern models have electronics, some components can't tolerate the high voltage, and it's definitely not compatible with DCC.

I had Relcos on my N gauge back in the 70s and yes it did help with running, until you add so much wiring or track joints that they can't tell a real gap from a bad joint.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Charlton Halt

Thanks very much to everyone for all your replies.

You've convinced me enough to at least invest in some N gauge gear and see how I get on  :)

:beers:

CH

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations