Windmill Hill photobook, new photos of my micro-layout in a case.

Started by Phoenix, May 02, 2020, 09:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMason

Kevin, your modeling is fantastic and you take such great photos of Windmill Hill. I've taken so much inspiration from your thread in the Layout Construction board.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but just wanted to offer a little computing advice. If you're planning on taking more images of a computer monitor you could use the screen print or snip features. Not sure if you're using a Windows machine, but there should be a key marked "PrtScn" on your keyboard, or alternatively use the snipping tool (found after doing a search in the start menu) to select what part of the screen you wish to capture.

Depending on what operating system you're using the options may have different names or be accessed via different means, but the function will be there and will be the same. A quick whizz through the internet can find more detailed instructions/guides. It should be as simple as; click button, save image, upload for us all to see!

Looking forward to seeing more photos!  :thumbsup:
Feel free to mooch through my layout thread - Learning Curve Railway
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47419.0

Thanks, Sam

Phoenix

Hi All,

Many thanks for that help Sam, and hope all is going well on "The Learning Curve" and thank you also for your kind words  :D :D :D

I have always liked photos of trains coming out of tunnels, so here are two versions of one  :thumbsup:

I also wanted the end of the station, so took this shot ......

And as there is a stable in the field opposite the station, there is a horse chomping on the hedge. ;)

However looking at the photo I decided to take another. I thought the bits over the tunnel mouth were a bit distracting, so I waited a bit for the bushes to grow and hide the greenhouse. Also the angle of the shot showed the rails, and the enormous gap between the rail and platform. :doh:

Here is the new photo, which also has a bit more platform in it.

Hope to have some photos of the stable after lunch

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Phoenix

Hi All,

Here is the stable. It is a lovely little Ancorton laser cut wooden kit, and fun to put together.

The figures are Preiser, who I think make the best figures. They can be a bit expensive, and some sets can be hard to get hold of, but I think they are well worth it if taking closeup photos like these.

The stable is waaaaaayyyyyy in the distance here, but you can see the detail of the figures and sign here. Before taking photos I looked at the figures under a magnifying lamp, and touched up the paint on any that needed it, and gave any grubby ones a wash in soapy water to get rid of any dust grit and grime.

All best wishes

Kevin

Dorsetmike

If I want screen shots I just press Shift/Print Screen open the resultant image and then crop out the bits like the task bar and any other editing required
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bealman

Great pictures yet again Kevin.  :thumbsup:

I agree with you on two things: the gap at the platform was obvious in the first pic, the second much better, and Preiser definitely make the best figures. Expensive yes, but, as you say, worth it when it comes to all the close-up photography you do.

And do brilliantly, by the way.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Phoenix

Cheers Mike, and thanks George ( @Bealman ) for your comments. I have really appreciated your help right from when Windmill Hill was just a little bit of empty plywood  :thumbsup:

Incidentally the stuff I used to clean the figures was " Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent Remover" ..... B.U.G.G.E.R  for short. 

Their slogan was "If Pledge won't polish it, Dettol won't deal with it, then B.U.G.G.E.R it "

It it a very popular product here, however a similar product "Finest Universal Cleaner Known" has not done so well  :D :D :D

All best wishes

Kevin

port perran

Quote from: Phoenix on May 08, 2020, 02:07:04 AM
Cheers Mike, and thanks George ( @Bealman ) for your comments. I have really appreciated your help right from when Windmill Hill was just a little bit of empty plywood  :thumbsup:

Incidentally the stuff I used to clean the figures was " Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent Remover" ..... B.U.G.G.E.R  for short. 

Their slogan was "If Pledge won't polish it, Dettol won't deal with it, then B.U.G.G.E.R it "

It it a very popular product here, however a similar product "Finest Universal Cleaner Known" has not done so well  :D :D :D

All best wishes

Kevin

Are you perchance a Fred Wedlock fan Kevin?
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Phoenix

Hi All,

Cheers Martin, I couldn't remember where I heard that gag from ..... yes, It was from Fred Wedlock, sadly no longer "swinging"

Next installments ..... the 64XX, first in close up

and here pulling its autocoach, the longest passenger train that can fit in the station  ;)

That's probably one of the longest shots, showing pretty much the full length of the layout, with the  extra section on the front. The focus stacking got the length of the train in focus, but I did not use any focus shots of the upper level so as to concentrate on the train.

Learning from the last photo of the station, I was careful not to show the gap between track and platform. :thumbsup:

Hope you like these photos. There are 24 pages in the photo book, so I have got to find a fair few different views to showcase  :hmmm:

All best wishes,

Kevin

gavin_t

Lovely photos. Somehow I have missed the building of this layout. Will have to make sure I check out the build topic.
This is my favorite thing about N, seeing how much you can cram into a tiny space  :D

Bealman

The upper level is more in focus than any shot I take that's supposed to be in focus!  :'(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Phoenix

Hi Guys,

Glad you like the pics George, really finding it useful having a camera phone now, that can get into all the nooks and crannies ..... glad you restoration is going well, you seem to be finding all sorts of treasures  :D

Windmill Hill certainly shows you don't need much space for a layout Gavin, and thank you for your kind words.

There is loads to wade through on the construction thread, but I made this short video of the building of the layout .....

That saves you wading through it all on the forum   :D ;) :D

There are also a few scenic videos, and if we keep staying in, a new one is next up after this photo book  :thumbsup:

All best wishes

Kevin

crewearpley40

A lovely layout worth exhibiting one day kevin. Love the tutorial and the video

Phoenix

Hi Chris,

Hope all is well with you.  :D :thumbsup: :D

So glad you like the layout. Once things get back to normal I could take Windmill Hill out on the road.

There certainly won't be any need to hire a big van for it  :D ;) :D

All best wishes

Kevin

crewearpley40

Am ok kevin.thanks for asking. For now, we are all enjoying your layout here

Phoenix

Hi All,

Hope you had a good weekend and was able to enjoy the weather  :D

Here we have another photo getting all the station in. Probably the longest shot I will ever get .

It almost make the layout look like a grown up one  :D :D :D

Hope to get some more round the station later

All best wishes

Kevin

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16%