Modelling East Anglia's Railways in 2mm Scale. 2nd version released.

Started by 03piggs, January 09, 2023, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03piggs

Hi all.

Attached to this post should be the 2nd edition of my document about modelling the railways of East Anglia.

Please feel free to add comments on here about any possible improvements, products that you think should be added or any models that I have missed.

Also, if anyone would like to review this for the NGS Journal or 2mm Society Journal, please feel free to contact me off group.

Hope you find it interesting, and that you are inspired to pick an ex-GE location for you next project.

Stu 

martyn

Thanks for this Labour of love. Stu.

I'd noticed a couple of updates needed on the mk1 and was going to email you, but
I'll leave it until I've gone through the latest list.

A very useful reference table in one place.

Martyn

03piggs

Quote from: martyn on January 09, 2023, 05:00:03 PM
Thanks for this Labour of love. Stu.

I'd noticed a couple of updates needed on the mk1 and was going to email you, but
I'll leave it until I've gone through the latest list.

A very useful reference table in one place.

Martyn
Thanks Martyn.

I put on the K1 that you mentioned on your post. And also have the O4 & O4/8. Not sure if the latter is what you mention as the O1? If not, no worries.

I do remember seeing in a magazine that there was a 3D print of a J15 & E4, but I've never been able to find it.
If anyone can help me, that would be a great help.

Stu

martyn

Hi Stu:

Yes, should have been two versions of the O4 you've mentioned, and not O1.

Newman also do prints of Thompson K1/1 with 3500 gal tender, and the K4.

I'm doing this from memory, I'll check more tomorrow, as I could be wrong.

Cl. 15 diesels were a bit more widespread than your note, working to March with allocations to Ipswich and Norwich, I think, even if only briefly. They also worked Harwich train ferry shunting and parcels at least as far as Colchester.

Martyn

03piggs

Hi everyone.

Just to let you know that the document on the OP is being updated and I'll release it after the Bachmann spring announcements.

Thanks to everyone who has been in contact with some models that I have missed. v2 was released 2 years after the original, so I knew I'd miss some models.

Stu

Greygreaser

@03piggs  DAR-ENT LOOK AT IT!!!!
I was happy in my ignorance building 'Readum Junkshun' until I found V1 and this has cost me a packet in Union Mills locos before they all disappear. :uneasy:
I started with an LMS childhood so it was mainly BR standard locos i thought to use on the layout then introduce some DMUs and diesels. The trouble was the more i researched the period and locality in Norfolk the more i got convinced to get at least some of it 'looking right' :hmmm:
So I've grabbed a J25 and the 'Royal' D16 from Colin @ Union Mills before he finishes and I've got a 'spares or repairs' J39 coming from 'Bet Net' (eBay).
If V2 is as informative and enticing as V1 I'm bankrupt!   -     But happy :claphappy:
Well done for effort and thanks, Chris
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

AdrianC

@03piggs , that is a staggering piece of research  :thumbsup:, and a brilliant resource.

I don't know if this is of any help to, but some extra bits of detail, only because I live on the Southend Vic line, and commuted to London from 1986-2004 (and still travel regularly to Billericay for work).

37s - also used to drag 745s/755s around for tyre turning (I think they have to go to Hornsey at the moment) and as thunderbirds for mainly 745s (755s tend to be rescued by other 755s I think)

56s - also seen at Bow and Mark's Tey sand depots

306s - regulars into Southend Vic until withdrawal, usually on Peak semi-fasts (All stations to Harold Wood then Stratford & Liv St

308s - 4-car versions regulars into Southend Vic too.

345s - regular visitors to Southend Vic during initial testing

357s - several sets worked Liv St - Southend Vic peak services on loan in the early 2000s.

379s - now all Off Lease

387s - The 6 used by LTS are now all at Great Northern (certainly 4 of them as I saw them at Welwyn a few weeks ago).

720s - 720/6s are now on test on the LTS. 12 sets in total due.

755s - also work at least one Liv St - Norwich diagram (one 755/4 and 2x 755/3s coupled) in electric mode, and on electric to Stansted Airport/Cambridge from Ely (ex-Norwich).

Hope this helps  :thumbsup:
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

Jeebee

Thank you for this excellent resource - I've used v1 extensively for research/day dreaming.

An addition suggestion: KTA intermodal  'pocket wagons' are available from C Rail. And FSA/FTA twins and four-set container flats are soon to be available from C Rail as well.

03piggs

Quote from: AdrianC on January 18, 2023, 11:16:50 AM
@03piggs , that is a staggering piece of research  :thumbsup:, and a brilliant resource.

I don't know if this is of any help to, but some extra bits of detail, only because I live on the Southend Vic line, and commuted to London from 1986-2004 (and still travel regularly to Billericay for work).

37s - also used to drag 745s/755s around for tyre turning (I think they have to go to Hornsey at the moment) and as thunderbirds for mainly 745s (755s tend to be rescued by other 755s I think)

56s - also seen at Bow and Mark's Tey sand depots

306s - regulars into Southend Vic until withdrawal, usually on Peak semi-fasts (All stations to Harold Wood then Stratford & Liv St

308s - 4-car versions regulars into Southend Vic too.

345s - regular visitors to Southend Vic during initial testing

357s - several sets worked Liv St - Southend Vic peak services on loan in the early 2000s.

379s - now all Off Lease

387s - The 6 used by LTS are now all at Great Northern (certainly 4 of them as I saw them at Welwyn a few weeks ago).

720s - 720/6s are now on test on the LTS. 12 sets in total due.

755s - also work at least one Liv St - Norwich diagram (one 755/4 and 2x 755/3s coupled) in electric mode, and on electric to Stansted Airport/Cambridge from Ely (ex-Norwich).

Hope this helps  :thumbsup:

Thanks for this @AdrianC .

Ill try and add as much as I can.

Class 37s are difficult to condense their GE history. Just done to much in the area!  :laugh:

Stu

03piggs

Quote from: Jeebee on January 19, 2023, 08:13:10 PM
Thank you for this excellent resource - I've used v1 extensively for research/day dreaming.

An addition suggestion: KTA intermodal  'pocket wagons' are available from C Rail. And FSA/FTA twins and four-set container flats are soon to be available from C Rail as well.

Thanks @Jeebee , Glad it helped.

I forgot about the KTA, so this has already been added to v2.1, but I didnt know about the FSA/FTAs.

Thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

Stu

03piggs

Hi all,

Version 2.1 of this document has now been released.

Please see 1st post on this topic.

Thanks for all who have helped me keep this updated.

Part of me would like this reviewed in the NGS journal or the one for 2mm society. (Or any other magazine, like Ngaugenow) so if anyone can do this who is connected to these, please DM me.

Enjoy!

Stuart

icairns

Quote from: martyn on January 09, 2023, 08:04:41 PM
Newman also do prints of Thompson K1/1 with 3500 gal tender, and the K4.

@martyn:  Did you mean that Newman does a 3D print of a Peppercorn K1?

My understanding is that Thompson modified a LNER K4 No. 3445 in 1945 that was eventually designated Class K1/1 and became No. 61997 in BR days.  I believe it was the only loco so modified.

When Peppercorn replaced Thompson, he used this rebuilt loco as the basis for his K1 2-6-0 locos, a class that eventually totaled 70 locos (BR Nos. 62001 to 62070).

The K1/1 loco was slightly heavier than the K1's but the main visual difference was that the K1/1 had a curved running plate in front of the cylinders but the K1 locos all had a stepped running plate in front of the cylinders.

Newman's 3D print has the stepped running plate so I believe that it is a Class K1 not a K1/1.  (There is a reason why I want to make sure of this).

Ian

martyn

@icairns

I'm sure you've found the link to Newman Miniatures at Shapeways;

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures?section=N+Gauge+Models&s=0

As I said in my quoted post, I'd need to check, and should have done. Your summary of the K4 to K1/1 is correct.

There are two versions of the K4, and a K1 labelled as 'Gresley' but to my eyes is the Peppercorn version. There are also two versions of the K2.

You could check with @Rudititanic on the Forum, who is the designer, for confirmation.

Martyn

Greygreaser

@03piggs sorry to spoil the fun but I've seen 2 Minitrix LNER coaches in teak in the later Yellow/Green plastic boxes! They were released in 1988, according to the profile on Hattons, and there were 2 versions a brake 1st and corridor 3rd (with individual compartment doors?) both following Gresley styling. Most Minitrix coaches only come in 2 versions for each profile, a brake and a corridor, as seen below on a broadsheet from early 1980s.
Seems like they might be as rare as rocking horse poo!?
Cheers Chris

A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

martyn

What was the product number? I think Ian Cairns has a list of all their products.

It may have been a change of packaging, but AFAIK, the Gresleys were produced as BCK and TK (SK) in teak and maroon liveries. The maroon ones are in the green and yellow package, reference numbers 13115 and 13116. Colin's initial V2 of this list has been updated to reflect this.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations