Tomix Percy

Started by Paulwhitt20, November 22, 2019, 08:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulwhitt20

Hi,
I have a Tomix Percy and find it a bit jerky. Adding more weight seems to help.
Has anyone found a good way to add weight to a loco. The body comes off but there is not much space for extra weight as you can imagine.
Thanks
Paul

Shiney Sheff

I had exactly the same problem with my grandsons Percy.

I found out from the good people on here that the electrical pickup is through the bearings, like Graham Farish A1

All I did was clean all the backs of the wheels and bearings with IPA as any oil contamination produces the results you describe. Needless to say, after a good clean it ran perfectly again.

Bob

ntpntpntp

Yeah, need to drop the wheelsets out and clean the axles and bearings from time to time.

The other thing I find is the metal tyres are very narrow compared to most N loco wheels, that increases the need for keeping everything nice and clean.

Nice little loco though  :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Paulwhitt20

Thanks, yes he does run better after a bit of alcohol.

How do you get at the bearings?

I have undone the screw underneath but the keeper plate is also clipped in. I am afraid that if I unclip this all Percy's insides will come out over the floor.

Thanks

Bealman

Yes, I find I also run a little better with a bit of alcohol.

I never loosen the screw though, for exactly the reason in your last sentence  :D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations