N Gauge Corridor Connectors

Started by Barry M, November 19, 2015, 07:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M

A project a friend & I have been developing.
Just gauging interest and thoughts.

http://youtu.be/Ox5wK4GLmDc
Building 'Bromsgrove' - a large N Gauge layout depicting the banking practices 1958-1964 on the Lickey. DCC and computer controlled with Railroad & Co!

Ben A

Hi Barry,

Looks good.

So what are they made from, and do they need to be self assembled?  If so how tricky is that?

cheers

Ben A.

Barry M

They're made of black card. You would assemble yourself.
As everything in N Gauge, fiddly because it's small, but it's easy to do.
There would be instructions, but it's fairly obvious.
Building 'Bromsgrove' - a large N Gauge layout depicting the banking practices 1958-1964 on the Lickey. DCC and computer controlled with Railroad & Co!

Newportnobby

Dependent on cost/fiddlyness(?) I'd be up for a shedload but would like to try one or two first :hmmm:

Zogbert Splod

Are these attached to both carriages or does it hold to the second one by it's springiness?  Also, is there such a word as 'springiness'?
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Mr Sprue

From what I can see in the video they look good. One question that springs to mind though would all the coupling have to be carried out by hand being that these corridors retain some tension?

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: Mr Sprue on November 19, 2015, 09:45:26 PM
From what I can see in the video they look good. One question that springs to mind though would all the coupling have to be carried out by hand being that these corridors retain some tension?
Yeah, I had that in mind when I asked my question above...  Interesting.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Barry M

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on November 19, 2015, 09:43:25 PM
Are these attached to both carriages or does it hold to the second one by it's springiness?  Also, is there such a word as 'springiness'?

One end is attached to the coach by tacky wax. The other coach end has a blank fitted. (Also with tacky wax) The bellows ride up against the blank end.
Tacky wax is easily separated and would not hinder auto coupling.
https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/miniatures/38-tacky-wax-5060243900258.html?search_query=Tacky+wax&results=1

MikeDunn

Do you have a higher def version ?  240dpi doesn't really let you see much , and full-screen looks ... well, not good is putting it mildly  ::)

Barry M

silly moo

They look very good, I'm interested.

Dr Al

These look good for older coaches, though the modern Mk1s shown could overcome this by use of shorter couplers - one Farish short shank Rapido and one standard length will give corridor connections that just touch - I run all my Mk1s like this and have not run into any trouble so far.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

G_N_E_R

Looks interesting! I'd be interested in a bucket load if the price is right ;)

Barry M

Quote from: Dr Al on November 20, 2015, 04:36:52 PM
These look good for older coaches, though the modern Mk1s shown could overcome this by use of shorter couplers - one Farish short shank Rapido and one standard length will give corridor connections that just touch - I run all my Mk1s like this and have not run into any trouble so far.

HTH,
Alan

Surprised you've had no derailments at pointwork.
It's a choice for sure.

Barry M

Quote from: G_N_E_R on November 20, 2015, 04:53:19 PM
Looks interesting! I'd be interested in a bucket load if the price is right ;)

We are thinking at £4 for 10 plus postage (which won't be much)
We have some people who are going to test and review.
If all goes well, they should be available in around 2 weeks.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations