Dave Shakespeare (Tetley Mills) RIP

Started by Bigric, September 11, 2014, 04:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigric

Can't believe it - just opened up my October issue of BRM & there on the back page is an obituary to Dave Shakespeare , creator of the legendary OO layout Tetley Mills . Apparently he  died recently after an 18 month battle with cancer . Tetley Mills had been featured in the mags a few times over the last few years & Dave was building a new version of the layout in a new house he was building . It was an iconic & definitive recreation of railways running through the industrial northern landscape - just as impressive a statement in its way as Dewsbury Midland , but created by one guy in his house rather than by a team of people for the exhibition circuit . It was clear for all to see that he was a master of the art of railway modelling , especially in the recreation of those grimy northern buildings which were so prevalent in the Sixties . What a great loss . Ric

tutenkhamunsleeping

Great shame  :(

I vividly remember the first issue of Model Rail with that layout featured prominently.  RIP Dave.

trkilliman

How very sad. I always enjoyed magazine articles on Tetley Mills and Dave's straightforward approach/words to modelling. He captured the grimy atmosphere so very very well. R.I.P.

Parky

Can't believe it, was reading some old posts how he had done all sorts of major building work and was starting to get his latest layout under way

jonclox

John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Bigric

Thanks for putting that on , not seen it before , excellent . Owning up time.....I always had it fixed in my mind (for years) that it was called TETLEY Mills , now I find out the layout was/is called TETLEY'S Mills ! What a muppet !!! I've even got 3 mag articles on the layout in a box file with a folded A3 sheet of paper to keep them together , with 'Tetley Mills' written on the front . No hope at all ! (yet another senior moment) . Ric

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations