Era 3 RTR wagons

Started by twinklekev, May 27, 2020, 04:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinklekev

OK, so I've just gone through the outstanding posts since my last visit and there I found 3 or 4 from Revolution Trains asking for expressions of interest for loco's, wagon's, etc. Which is all well and good as I couldn't see Farish / Dapol making any of them.

However, there never seems to be anything for those of us that are modelling in era-3 (the big 4) these days IMO. Now I know that this comment is going to produce a hailstorm of feed back but this is just my opinion. It would be nice is somebody (anybody) would produce something that isn't already available for those modelling era-3; and I'm thinking here of things like the LMS 42ft bogie GUV or a prototypical MR / LMS cattle wagon (on a proper 11ft wb chassis) or maybe 70ft GWR toplight coaches. Or how about a proper 8 shoe vacuum braked wagon chassis (Peco?).

Now don't get me wrong, more power to their elbow those small manufacturers that are offering these things. But not every one that models N gauge models the last 50 - 60 years of British railways.

Just saying.

Twinklekev.

Newportnobby

Quote from: twinklekev on May 27, 2020, 04:38:29 PM
But not every one that models N gauge models the last 50 - 60 years of British railways.

And that, I think, is the clincher inasmuch as the majority do model the last 50-60 years. I'm sorry @twinklekev but I'm quite sure if you put forward a convincing argument to RevolutioN for something that would sell in quantities to warrant tooling etc it would be seriously considered. You also have to bear in mind whether there is an original prototype anywhere for measuring accurately/taking of pics and what liveries may have been around.
Good luck but I think you'll sadly struggle

honk843

I Sympathize.

I always find it strange that given the huge number of Private Owner wagons produced in pristine condition there is virtually nothing to pull them with.

NeMo

Quote from: twinklekev on May 27, 2020, 04:38:29 PM
However, there never seems to be anything for those of us that are modelling in era-3 (the big 4) these days IMO.
I would take slight issue with this. Every month there seem to be new private owner wagons, tankers and vans from places like The Wagon Yard and Pennine Wagons. For sure these are limited edition versions of the familiar Peco, Dapol and Farish models rather than entirely new models. But still, some of these are exquisite models oozing charm, and having reviewed a few of them, I've been really taken by the backstories to some of them.

Quote from: twinklekev on May 27, 2020, 04:38:29 PMIt would be nice is somebody (anybody) would produce something that isn't already available for those modelling era-3; and I'm thinking here of things like the LMS 42ft bogie GUV or a prototypical MR / LMS cattle wagon (on a proper 11ft wb chassis) or maybe 70ft GWR toplight coaches. Or how about a proper 8 shoe vacuum braked wagon chassis (Peco?).
Believe me, one useful thing you could do is make a proposal to the NGS. We're always looking out for new RTR or kit ideas, and speaking personally, anything that gets people building kits is something I would strongly support. Are these ideas of yours viable? Do we have access to plans and diagrams? Did any have long lives? Anything that spans the Big 4 and Transition eras is a much easier sell than one limited to Big 4 usage.

The weird thing is that during the early 80s, when I railway modelled as a teenager, Big 4 layouts were ubiquitous. Every other layout in the magazines seemed to be a GWR branchline or similar. When I came back to the hobby ten years or so ago, I was surprised how few modellers seemed to be modelling the Big 4. I suppose as time passes, the time periods modellers 'hark back to' is pulled forward, and it's the 1950s and 60s that appeals to older modellers today.

Cheers, NeMo

Edit: Do also check the kits currently produced and available by the NGS, which include numerous Big 4 prototypes. Have you tried building any of these? It may be harder than sending some money off to Hattons, but I would imagine building even the hardest kit takes less time that it would take Farish to design, manufacturer, import, and sell an RTR version!  ::)

https://www.ngsjoin.com/kits-338-c.asp
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

honk843

Osbourne also do quite a growing range of GWR wagon kits and remember they were not limited to that company's track either.

red_death

Hi Kev

I fear that your last sentence is part of the reason ie that although not everyone models the last 50-60 years, the majority do!

We've listed elsewhere (I think in the Revolution crowdfunding section) our starting point for whether we think a model might be feasible - that gives you ideas of what is necessary to make something reality.

As NPN says access to either a real thing (preferably without too much modification!) or very good research is helpful particularly for older vehicles.

Manufacturers are largely trying to get the best return on investment so need convincing that there is substantial demand - we can be more flexible but things still have to be worth spending a lot of money on tooling ie you still need a reasonable amount of potential sales!

Cheers Mike

twinklekev

Thanks gentlemen for your comments on this subject. Unfortunately, I think you are all right.

@NeMo , I have already built a substantial number of NGS kits that fit the era I model. But your suggestion of making a proposal to the NGS may be worth further consideration. Can you advise to whom I should be speaking in the first instance please?

Thanks anyway.

Twinklekev.

NeMo

Quote from: twinklekev on May 28, 2020, 03:09:28 PM
@Nemo But your suggestion of making a proposal to the NGS may be worth further consideration. Can you advise to whom I should be speaking in the first instance please?

I would suggest writing to the chairman, Philip Griffin, at chairman@ngaugesociety.com.

He'll share it with the committee, and we can take it from there!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

twinklekev

Thanks NeMo. Will do.

Cheers,

Twinklekev.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP