The Planets

Started by Newportnobby, June 19, 2019, 09:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Has anyone else been following this series of programmes on each planet by Prof Brian Cox?
I have found it to be visually and aurally stunning. I understand quite a lot of what he says even though much is probably a 'best guess' but milliseconds later it's gone from my brain cell.
The effects and music (by Bleeding Fingers) combine (especially with surround sound) to provide an hour of wonder.
You may gather from this I quite like it :D

crewearpley40

Listening to jupiter et al from gustav holst mick? Very relaxing

RailGooner

I watched the tail end of last night's episode on Saturn - my favourite planet, after Earth of course. :D  the TV had been that channel since the previous programme, so I hit record and since the previous hour was cached I can watch the whole later. I should really hit series link. :beers:

Doc Pye

Yes, caught the Saturn program last night and it was quite good. Only thing is that it makes one feel totally insignificant, as we (humans) are nothing in the span on time! I don't think I will be around in 100 million years when Saturn's rings disappear! LOL

Dr Al

This seems to be a 20 year reprise of the original series, named the same, circa 1999. That was less presenter-centric (although Cox is far better in this than he's been in some of his ventures), and in some ways better with the narration but also interviewing many experts; but of course pre-dated the ability to have quite such detailed and visually stunning renderings of the new series.

Overall a cut above the rest both in terms of documentaries, and the rest of the trash/repeats out there. Clearly the Beeb's money is not being spent on this as compared 1999 as it's only 5 episodes as compared the original 8.

As such it is definitely worth seeking out the original 8 part series from 1999 too - it can be picked up for absolute chickenfeed on 2 disk DVD on ebay for like £2-3 - e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-PLANETS-BBC-DVD-THE-COMPLETE-1999-BBC-SERIES-2-DISC-SET-99p/192929319523?epid=3943637&hash=item2ceb7bca63:g:D-AAAOSwmBJcjo8q

...about 30p per hour - bargain - I'd *highly* recommend it.

But my day job is building telescope mirrors....so I may be biased...  ;)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Vigo

I have to admit I haven't seen the program but last year my wife and I went to one of Prof Cox's shows at Manchester Arena.

My brain still hurts  :dunce:
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Doc Pye

QuoteOverall a cut above the rest both in terms of documentaries, and the rest of the trash/repeats out there. Clearly the Beeb's money is not being spent on this as compared 1999 as it's only 5 episodes as compared the original 8.

Come on Dr Al / Alan, the BBC had to pay for that glider over the Alps...that's where the license money went! I wish the BBC would cover my flying time! ;)

Webbo

Unfortunately we are not running with Brian Cox and the planets here in Oz, but I will watch out for it. However, last night we had a TV program called Mission Saturn which was about the Cassini spacecraft and what it accomplished. Fascinating stuff and worth keeping an eye out for if you are interested in such things.

Webbo

Garyf

I too really enjoyed Saturn, it certainly gets the most wows when my astronomy club does public outreach sessions. As for the S12 over the Alps my o/h said 'lucky b*****d' when she saw it, something we'd both like to do. I do find his voice quite soporific and have nodded off towards the end of previous episodes.

Gary

Bealman

Quote from: Webbo on June 20, 2019, 03:40:45 AM
Unfortunately we are not running with Brian Cox and the planets here in Oz, but I will watch out for it. However, last night we had a TV program called Mission Saturn which was about the Cassini spacecraft and what it accomplished. Fascinating stuff and worth keeping an eye out for if you are interested in such things.

Webbo

Wouldn't have minded seeing that! Didn't know it was on  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Doc Pye

broadsword

I've always enjoyed these programmes, started with the Sky at Night with Patrick Moore
when still at school. Since the space age began the amount of knowledge  gained on the
stars and planets is huge ( close ups of poor old Pluto relegated to the 4th division).
Also enjoy scifi movies,Forbidden Planet, The Martian, Alien .....etc, etc.  One film set on
one of Saturn's moons (The Titan Find) has a valuable lesson for astronauts of the future,
when you land on a mysterious world and find a big box leave it alone !!!!!

Papyrus

Even my dog enjoyed it!

She likes Springwatch too...

Cheers,

Chris

john12glen

I remember being really upset when told that Venus was too hot to support life.  The Eagle said that the Treens and the Mecon came from there. I managed to get over it when the Moon landing started.

broadsword

The Mekon was a scraggy little green guy with a big head, arch enemy of Dan Dare,
can't quite remember what his powers were apart from giving orders to the Treens.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations