Poor Forum Performance

Started by Yet_Another, May 02, 2016, 09:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeeBee

Just spent 5 minutes waiting for the Forum to open everything seems to be very slow at the moment
Graham

Dorsetmike

Problems I have are mostly loading images, including getting error messages, then finding the image has loaded and can be displayed. Also it would seem that  it balks at loading multiple images, I tried uploading 4 and only one made it, so uploaded another single image which got the error message saying it failed but the image was present and displayed.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

It's always worth checking to see if the photo has actually successfully been uploaded even if you think it hasn't. Today there were 10 identical pics in the 'Unseen' section :doh:

port perran

I've had no real problems over the last few days till just now.
I've been using the forum for about 20 mins (including posting a couple of pictures) with no problem at all.
Then at 20.34 it started to go VERY slowly.
Taking over a minute to load individual posts and then just over 3 minutes to load this particular topic.
Hopefully when I click Post it will actually do something....we'll see.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

lil chris

Just tried to post a pic tonight, now 8.49pm. It has taken 4 mins to try to load a pic and I recieved a 504 error code.

I checked after posting this post, the pic had loaded but it does not go to the loaded page it displays the error 504. re load the album and the pic is there.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

gc4946

Still very slow uploading even one image just now
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

port perran

Quote from: port perran on May 20, 2016, 08:43:13 PM
I've had no real problems over the last few days till just now.
I've been using the forum for about 20 mins (including posting a couple of pictures) with no problem at all.
Then at 20.34 it started to go VERY slowly.
Taking over a minute to load individual posts and then just over 3 minutes to load this particular topic.
Hopefully when I click Post it will actually do something....we'll see.
20:53 - Back to normal now. No problems.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

colpatben

Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 20, 2016, 02:15:37 PM
ngaugeforum.co.uk
DNS TEST
2016-05-20 15:03:12
Permalink:   
Delegation
Everything is fine.
All tests successful in this part, no errors or warnings.
Nameserver
ns0.lcn.com.
Everything is fine.
ns1.lcn.com.
Everything is fine.
Consistency
Everything is fine.
SOA
Everything is fine.
Connectivity
Everything is fine.
DNSSEC
Everything is fine.

PING TEST
94.126.40.39  54ms to 60ms no packet loss.

TRACE ROUTE
19 hops 54ms no loss

OK everything to the host server is working fine, its not a bad connection, its a bad hosting server.

I am sure most of us haven't a clue what all this is about, but you seem to be well versed in this kind of mystical stuff and have an opinion as to where the problems may be.

Would you explain what you are indicating is occurring when you run these diagnostics?

Are these tests that we could run ourselves from different parts of the world to help track down the problem that is obviously now global, and would they be of any benefit to Tank, the hosting company and us as individual users?

Would you be willing to PM Tank and offer your help in liaising with the Hosting company for this forum?

Bearing in mind that this Forum is free at the point of use (maybe you are one of the regular monthly donors), I am certain he and his team of moderators would be thankful, as they must be apprehensive whenever they open this topic to see what is happening next.

:thankyousign: in advance.
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Snowwolflair

Very quick summary.

the tests are  me knocking on the door of the computer that has our website stored on it.

The tests are common computer network engineers tests and measure time of response, is the address correct in the telephone directory, and are you there.

What the tests show is the problem is inside the hosting computer and is not the connections from us to it.

I posted them so the hosting company can't dodge the issue

Particularly the important thing is the hosting company cannot say it is bad internet connections.

colpatben

Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 21, 2016, 11:17:58 PM

What the tests show is the problem is inside the hosting computer and is not the connections from us to it.

Particularly the important thing is the hosting company cannot say it is bad internet connections.

OK, I fully understand that. So there is no advantage in other N Gauge forum users performing these tests and posting and/or forwarding them to hosting company.

However if there is a problem with the Hosting company and as you say that you 'posted them so the hosting company can't dodge the issue' what is their response to your previous comment on May 20th that:

'its not a bad connection, its a bad hosting server' ?

If they confirm that they have a problem, and it cannot be resolved then surely in normal commercial terms they are in breach of their contract with Tank/N Gauge forum.

Just my thoughts and thank you for your reply to my query.
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Caz

Yested afternoon (approve 1530 CET) I gave up even trying to read the forum as it was so slow, this morning, Sunday, uploaded half a dozen pics without any problem whatsoever and pages are loading fast.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Snowwolflair

Quote from: colpatben on May 22, 2016, 07:16:01 AM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on May 21, 2016, 11:17:58 PM

OK, I fully understand that. So there is no advantage in other N Gauge forum users performing these tests and posting and/or forwarding them to hosting
company.

However if there is a problem with the Hosting company and as you say that you 'posted them so the hosting company can't dodge the issue' what is their response to your previous comment on May 20th that:

'its not a bad connection, its a bad hosting server' ?

If they confirm that they have a problem, and it cannot be resolved then surely in normal commercial terms they are in breach of their contract with Tank/N Gauge forum.

Just my thoughts and thank you for your reply to my query.

As per instructions

Quoteplease can you put a post on the following thread and leave a time of when you had the problem. The hosting company have asked for times. Forum Performance Thread

I assume the hosting team are watching, or the forum team are passing on.

We have no other way of communicating as we are users not site administrators

Caz

Tank is monitoring the situation and liaising with the host. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Trainfish

Just took over 5 minutes to upload a post including 2 video links. I left it in the end, went to do something else, got a 500 error when I returned. Tried to post it again and it said I had posted it. Refreshed the page and there it was. Just like magic  :laugh3:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tank

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Annoyingly (especially to you all!) I've had a very busy week as Ofsted visited where I worked and I had to take a back seat with regards to the forum.   :-[  I'm recruiting someone who is very good with websites who will work their magic and see if they can sort this mess out!!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations