Goods train

Started by geofff, August 27, 2023, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello ,

I'm looking for a steam loco to haul goods trains on a Western themed 1960's layout. I've seen a Minitrix 9F - would this be suitable for running on radius 1 and radius 3 curves as the loco looks very long?

Thanks

crewearpley40

Radius 1

May get away with a pannier tank or a hymek / 22, 25, 31

Radius 3 : a prairie tank

Bob G

Minitrix 9Fs have split valve gear and sliding axles so they are effectively articulated to achieve 9" radius curves. They are also fantastic for haulage. The problem is that the body is a Britannia body and the chassis is a German freight loco so the chassis is not anything like a British 9F. The Dapol 9F is better for looks and the latest design with traction tyres will haul decent trains. 9Fs also used to be allocated to Eastleigh from 1960-62 hauling the Fawley to Bromborough Bridge (Birmingham) oil trains before they were replaced by double headed Class 33s. You could see 9Fs right down to Weymouth and Southampton and on the WR through Reading so a good choice of loco. The Dapol 2884 2-8-0s seemed to stick to WR metals but would also stray into SR territory down to Weymouth and Salisbury.
Both Dapol locos would be R2 minimum.

HTH
Bob

Chris Morris

I think most diesels will do R1. The Minitrix 9F doesn't really look much like a 9F but apart from that it is ok. Steam went quite early on the Western Region. Steam had pretty much completely gone in Devon & Cornwall by 1963 but stayed in the West Midlands in ever decreasing numbers until around 1966.

From the point of view of good running, usability for all locos and looking reasonable R1 curves are best avoided. I think most large steam locos don't get on well with R1 curves and indeed most stock these days is designed for a minimum of R2.

You don't say what type of freight train. A pick up goods could be as little as 3 or 4 wagons hauled by a pannier tank. Pick up goods trains were seen on the main line as well as branches. On the other hand a yard to yard freight train or a special freight such as a coal train will need a large number of wagons (30 wagons looks good) and a large loco. The Dapol 28xx pulls well, as does the Hall, Grange and Manor (so long as it the version with traction tyres).
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

Here are three of mine hauling a reasonable goods train.

ntpntpntp

Remember, refer to curves by measurement not R number unless you also state which track system :)   R1 etc. doesn't mean the same thing in all manufacturers' track geometry.

The old Minitrix 9F will go down to 7.6" radius as it was designed to handle Minitrix R1.  It'll handle 9" radius (Peco R1) with ease. Get a good one and they're smooth and powerful and will out-pull the Dapol model.  However they are a bit of a compromise in terms of looks as has been said above and many of the spares are getting scarce as it's a model from the 1970s.  So it depends what are your priorities - tight radius and good haulage or more accurate models? 

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

geofff

Gentlemen ,

Very many thanks - I think that from the comments that the 9F is not realistic enough and spares could be an issue. I'll keep looking.

Chris Morris: wonderful video. My layout is on a standard internal door (just over 6 foot)so I am unable to use the same length trains as on your railway. What loco is the first shown on the video clip?

Regards

Geoff

Train Waiting

Hello Geoff

Perhaps you might be able to find a Union Mills '2251' 'Collet Goods' 0-6-0.  It will pull anything you want on a door-sized layout.  It is actually a mixed traffic engine, so would be equally at home on a local passenger train.

Union Mills models were optimised to perform on Peco track, including Peco No. 1 radius curves.  My examples certainly run happily on Poppingham's down line with Peco No. 1 ruling radius curves.  The layout is 'three by two' and, just for fun, I sometimes have a goods train so long that the brake van is in front of the engine's buffer beam.  A Union Mills engine copes with this easily - I think they enjoy it - and properly fettled wagons trundle obediently behind.

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Chris Morris

Quote from: geofff on August 27, 2023, 07:22:25 PMGentlemen ,

Very many thanks - I think that from the comments that the 9F is not realistic enough and spares could be an issue. I'll keep looking.

Chris Morris: wonderful video. My layout is on a standard internal door (just over 6 foot)so I am unable to use the same length trains as on your railway. What loco is the first shown on the video clip?

Regards

Geoff
That video is a bit of a cheat as my storage sidings aren't long enough for a train that length. This train was not long enough to make my Dapol locos struggle. The Dapol 9F would not be able to pull such a train though. My maximum train length for proper running is 37 wagons which is plenty long enough. The first shown loco is a Dapol Hall and the last one is a Dapol Grange. They are completely different locos and don't look the same at all (well not to a GWR enthusiast). ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations