Weathering

Started by Newportnobby, August 23, 2023, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

It has crossed my mind to get my EFE J94 weathered but there seems a huge range in price for that being done e.g. medium weathering

Grimy Times = £15
Rails of Sheffield = £29.95
TMC = £45

I have a couple of coaches weathered by TMC and my J50 is the weathered one from Rails so I can make a judgment there, but has anyone got anything done by Grimy Times? I have seen them at many a show.

crewearpley40

Sadly never used grimy times of Warrington

Mick I thought stu of this parish or ensign Elliott are the go to people

https://www.grimytimes.co.uk/services

Bob G

The weathered Rails J50 was only £20 more than the unweathered one in Rails flash sale. So that's a £10 saving just like that. I also suspect that Rails weathering is actually by TMC, as it is very similar in approach, but I have no proof of that.

Rails' (possibly TMC's) own weathering on an OO Siphon G I bought from them was so absolutely fabulous I'd be more than happy with their own efforts. That was only £20 on a brand new coach.

I am a fan of TMC and have asked TMC in the dim and distant past to give me a price for (say) ten black locos to be weathered, and they did discount on their web price because "N scale is a lot less paint and time required to get the same effect as in OO". There were a lot of black tank engines in my order. Somehow I don't like weathering green engines, but green diesels etc are a must.
Now I have not tried this approach for a long time, but it could be worth a punt if you have a lot of stuff to be weathered and TMC are not busy. I'm sure they would not do that for a single loco.
The only drawback of having a lot of TMC weathered locos is that unless they are all custom weathered, they do look very similar in style of weathering. Their bargain basement weathering service is nothing like as good as their light/medium/heavy weathering service. So you get what you pay for IMHO.

I used to use a long time ago in the 2000s a certain convicted paedophile by the name of Carl but I have sold all his work so I don't have it contaminating my house any more. Thank goodness.

Good luck
Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations